SandCo AZ

How much power are you running through your 2d?

I thought this would be a fun topic lol!

so how much power are you running through your 2d? And how often are you having it gone through? I’ve talked to people running over 500hp who claim to not have issues, and I know people who kill them with stock 5.3’s and ls1’s after enough time...

my new to me car went 12 years on the 2d mated to an ls1 that made 404rwhp on cbm’s Dyno, I had the trans gone through before the start of the season and it had the usual ring and pinion and 3rd gear wear, along with some worn bearings. 

Im not trying to see if I can make 600rwhp through a 2d or anything like that, just curious what you guys are experiencing at certain power levels. And I also know it really makes a difference with how you drive, maintenance, how often you use your car etc 

450hp Outfront 2.5 Subi 

Needed an input shaft due to seal lip groove wear.  Three hard seasons. Don't know how old that shaft was either.

428 hp at the wheels from my LS1.  I put the buggy together in 2013 with a slightly smaller cam and switched to a larger one in 2018.  The trans has been apart twice to fix shift fork damage caused by the AJ Speed Shifter.  No gears have been replaced and I've had no more trouble since I switched to a PBS shifter.  I don't beat the car up through the whoops, but I do launch the car from 6000+ rpm when drag racing.  Its a 2000lbs mid engine buggy on 33 inch paddles.

Another buggy in our group put over 470hp to the wheels.  He broke the 2d case and reverse gear after getting stuck a few years ago.  His buggy weighs 2800lbs and he hasn't had any other gear issues.

My pops buggy is making north of 650 with a blown Northstar at 12 psi  in a 4 seat mid engine, lasted 4 years so far running hard with a PBS cable shifter

IMG_20180817_074644115_HDR.jpg

660 hp at the crank, turbo Subaru. Two seasons so far no issues. It’s in a gen 4 funco 

I had 386 to the wheels through my 2d. I had one season where all was good. Then 3 seasons in a row it came out for bearings once, second and third once, the R&P most recently. I just picked up an s4 from Wright last week. 🤞

2400 lb amplified with 33s. 

Bought the car with a stock LS1 and 2D. 

First season, 12 trips and it was done. Sounded like concrete. 

It just isn’t about HP. 

My car is 2700lbs. 934s and outboard hubs. 

Lots of rotational mass and heavy car. 

I don’t beat on the car. Just drive fast and a lot. 

2D can’t hold up to that stuff. 

Put a Fortin in it.

1 hour ago, Kansas T said:

428 hp at the wheels from my LS1.  I put the buggy together in 2013 with a slightly smaller cam and switched to a larger one in 2018.  The trans has been apart twice to fix shift fork damage caused by the AJ Speed Shifter.  No gears have been replaced and I've had no more trouble since I switched to a PBS shifter.  I don't beat the car up through the whoops, but I do launch the car from 6000+ rpm when drag racing.  Its a 2000lbs mid engine buggy on 33 inch paddles.

Another buggy in our group put over 470hp to the wheels.  He broke the 2d case and reverse gear after getting stuck a few years ago.  His buggy weighs 2800lbs and he hasn't had any other gear issues.

Haha yeah reverse when stuck in a big no no! Last time I got stuck we just got out and rolled it back, then had to dump the clutch in first to get out of it.

I try not to use reverse at all or dump the clutch, and take it pretty easy through the whoops to 

59 minutes ago, lincster said:

It just isn’t about HP. 

Put a Fortin in it.

Do you know how much time was on it before you got it? I’d think it might have just been worn out when you got it. I bet the fortin is much nicer though! 

Stock Honda !  Yeee hah! 6 years and finally starting to make noise last year. Gonna run it till it goes. 

18 minutes ago, mike dee said:

Stock Honda !  Yeee hah! 6 years and finally starting to make noise last year. Gonna run it till it goes. 

Probably be a lot less damage if you have it checked out before it breaks... 

LS1 stock on 33s 2 seater and giving it hell. I don't care if it breaks, I'm having fun! My build is nothing short of a miracle so I'm loving it! 

9 hours ago, Getpitted453 said:

Probably be a lot less damage if you have it checked out before it breaks... 

Ya , I know your right.  

11 hours ago, lincster said:

It just isn’t about HP. 

Put a Fortin in it.

This ^^^^ plus it’s not really hp it’s the torque.

i had a ls1 2d combo in the limo 1st 2 yrs great 3rd season started to make some noise needed a few bearings and gears ran it 2 more seasons and up graded to a pbs i think by that time the ring and pinion were on the way out. the only other thing that broke was a 934 drive flange it sheared off the splines behind china wall where everything seems to break lol. I had stopped in some real soft stuff and dumped the clutch and found the weakest link other than that i loved that trans shifted great. the last season with the 2d i knew i was upgrading the motor and trans so i wasnt easy at all and it held up to alot of abuse.

Stock Honda, so about 12 rwhp. Should last forever.

Posted (edited)

Back in the day  2005 ish there were quite a few TT LS's running 2D's and 930's

But "big" Paddles were Blaster 33's and cars weighed 2100-2300 lbs and most TT 4 seaters were run with one person..

In other words lots of factors involved. Personal experience says drive well and 400RWHP will give good life in a light car

But there is a Predator (2800Lbs)  in our camp with a Redline 550HP LS1 that actually runs pretty hard. Has a 2D and same owner since new in 07 and he consistently has 5 people in the car, its 934's and Blaster 33's  and he can drive..   Full rebuild every two seasons and has been stuck twice. R&P broke once, and Main shaft the 2nd time, and he does not baby the car.  No DECO cases or fancy upgrades either.

Edited by fullthrottleguy

11 hours ago, Getpitted453 said:

Do you know how much time was on it before you got it? I’d think it might have just been worn out when you got it. I bet the fortin is much nicer though! 

It was rebuilt right before I bought the car, so it was completely fresh.

I bought the car from a buddy of mine and had the paperwork to go along with the rebuild.

Fortin is much nicer!!!!

Ls6, 426 at the rear wheels, torque was about 395, tuned on CBM's dyno many years ago. No problems. Reverse only to get it off the trailer and only get it rolling in first, then shift into second and get going. No problems. I have dropped the clutch starting in second when racing and no problems. How you drive them and having a light car, 2 seat mid-engine, 930's helps a lot.

2005 Funco Gen 4. From 2006-2017 I broke (5) 2ds. Twice was second gear due to gearing. Last time took a tooth off of 4th. 290-320 RWHP on a Mustang dyno. Car then I  would guess 2250 lbs. One full season now with the new S4. Probably 1200 miles. Love not worrying about when it will break next.  BTW original 930 CVs in the car. Just flipped them a couple of years ago.  Lots of miles on them.

My old car was about 1500-1800 pounds.  350hp nissan SR20DET.  Ran it for 3 years  and the trans was great.  Only thing I did was put in the nose cone shaft seal.  Sold the car with the trans the way it was.  I think its still going strong.  I did have Rich Roberts open it up when I first got it to change 2nd gear to a lower ratio but that was it.

5.3 with a decent cam and a good tune. 350 horse maybe? Hope the 2d with the PBS case holds for a couple years 

the tranny was bolted to a 5.7 trick flow hot cam, .550 lift went 5 years before first rebuild, had 33 blasters, and 934's

after 5 years needed a 2nd gear and 3rd gear

Posted (edited)

Camped last week with a guy running a twin turbo ls mated to a 2d. Has 930 cv's/ axles and 35in paddles. Not only that but at the end of the weekend he loaded his car into the toyhauler by backing it up the ramp. He drives the car hard and does everything the internet says not to do. Go figure.

Edited by hondajimz

When the Racer trucks came out several years ago, I remember an extremely fast one (I think it was black, but not positive) would whoop on everyone at the sand drags.  When I got over to see it finally, it had a 2D in it!  I about fell over!!  They can take some power and some abuse, no doubt!