SandCo AZ

How much power are you running through your 2d?

Posted (edited)

All of it! 😂 Iron block SBC 383 500 HP 487 trq deco case 930's. been two seasons so far and plan to pull trans out this coming winter for refresh and health check but right now all now all is good. The trans was new when i bought the car with a stock northstar and after three of those boat anchors i installed the 383 last may. I had the trans checked, nothing wrong with it, just a service and fresh gaskets and gear oil and its been in the car ever since.

Edited by loboboy
add content

Throw as much as you want at them, I have bills to pay. 😎

Posted (edited)

I am surprised at some of the power levels posted here. Guess I just beat on my stuff. :igar: I thought I remember at some point this trans was rated at 375 crank HP max.  With a 28% transaxle/CV loss that would be 270 RWHP on a  Mustang dyno.  :blink:

Edited by onanysunday

9 minutes ago, SEAN@WEDDLE said:

Trust me I know, I think I have paid for a few of your mortgage payments 🙄

1 hour ago, SEAN@WEDDLE said:

I will throw all i have at it then throw money at you when it goes boom! 😂

My buddy has 10 years on SandPro II running a 550HP Redline LS2 and 2D. Its all how you drive it and maybe a little luck. 

Posted (edited)

I hear a lot of you guys say that you are refreshing or rebuilding your trans every few years.  You need a bigger trans if that is how short of a time period your 2D is lasting before internal issues are presenting themselves. I bought the HV24 in lieu of a 2D for that reason. https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000165/1003746

Edited by fortyfour

10 hours ago, fortyfour said:

I hear a lot of you guys say that you are refreshing or rebuilding your trans every few years.  You need a bigger trans if that is how short of a time period your 2D is lasting before internal issues are presenting themselves. I bought the HV24 in lieu of a 2D for that reason. https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000165/1003746

What about if you go 12-15 trips a season and burn 80 gallons of gas a trip?

That is a lot of driving.

7 minutes ago, lincster said:

What about if you go 12-15 trips a season and burn 80 gallons of gas a trip?

That is a lot of driving.

Agreed.  There are a lot of factors that play into this scenario.  The only true way to measure this would be an hour meter.

There really is no way to measure how long any trans can last with the way that these are being used. There are just far too many variables. I've said it multiple times, I will say it again:

One car with a big V8 can go out every other weekend and make the trans last for 5+ seasons without every touching it, then service it and all it needs is seals and a mainshaft bearing, $1500 service.

Another car with a 250 HP 4 cylinder can be used a few times a year and need a service every other season, then need a new mainshaft and 2nd gear, 3rd gear, pinion bearings, etc., $2500+ service.

It's all in how it's driven and the terrain it's driven on. 

What if we do the opposite? How about we all go out after a rebuild and see how long it takes to break one. 😂 because somehow mine seems indestructible. 

I had a 2d that was hooked to a LS3 with 55o RWHP on Danzio's dyno  in a 2 seater that weighed 1750lbs and it was fine with 33" tires, would freshen it every 2 years. Needed new tires so went to buy a set and they sold they're last set and talked me into 35 w/ #2 cups. That was a mistake would tear it down every other trip for something. The last couple times I tore it down the support for the  bearings were getting oblonged. Had to put it in a mill and sleeve where the bearings went. Finally upgraded to a susquential trans.  Much better, no problems yet.

Just had my 2D rebuilt after 4 years since the last rebuild. This time it needed a lot of work. Several gears and bearings were shot. I put an  E-Rod LS3 in the car about 3 years ago. It is 435 HP.  Probably had about 60 days of driving on it before the main bearing started to howl.

I should be close to 350 after cam and tune

Full tune for $350?   Donde?..

Posted (edited)

Ag 4 seat ls3 with cam/2d/33x17 blaster #2.change oil once a year.had to pull one time due to me grinding reverse in camp.no other issues 

Edited by iscream