utahsmith

Lets talk 2D shifter's

Okay,

I have a 2D LS3 car and I just had the trans completely redone, all new everything. The only thing that wasn't replaced was the shifter. When it is cold in the morning and at odd times during the day it doesn't seem to want to go into 2nd and sometimes 3rd. The guys at Wright said I may want to consider a new shifter, it has a Empi on it now.

Thoughts??

This isn't a Funco specific question.

Maybe move it to the Sandrail Stuff section?

Another post was started recently about shifters.

Maybe read through that one?

I like the Fortin personally.

My empi is the most finicky shifter ever. I've made adjustments probably 5 times this season. Scariest was in the middle of a ride the reverse lockout was popping out and when shifting into 2nd it wanted to go into reverse. Put it in 3rd and got it back to camp. I'll be upgrading to a Pro Am or Jamar in the off season

I replaced my original Empi with a new one.  Shifts a lot smoother now.

On 5/6/2019 at 8:00 AM, utahsmith said:

Okay,

I have a 2D LS3 car and I just had the trans completely redone, all new everything. The only thing that wasn't replaced was the shifter. When it is cold in the morning and at odd times during the day it doesn't seem to want to go into 2nd and sometimes 3rd. The guys at Wright said I may want to consider a new shifter, it has a Empi on it now.

Thoughts??

I have a fortin for sale if you are interested

A quality shifter will certainly make a difference in the way the trans shifts, but I would have another probable cause to this.

Cold gear oil is pretty thick until it warms up to about 125ºF. This cold, thick oil gets in behind the synchronizers that grab the gear who's job is to slow down or speed up the gear as you shift into the gear. This cold oil does not want to move out of the way easily so the synchro cannot grab the gear to change it's speed so you can shift into it. This is where you might feel like you cannot position the shift lever into gear.

If the problem goes away when the trans warms up, then this is your likely culprit.

A lower weight oil can prevent this in cold temperatures, but at the expense of losing the protection factor on the gears and causing excessive wear.

I agree with the cold oil idea that Sean is talking about.

I can feel a big difference between cold and hot oil when shifting.

During those really cold mornings, I always drive my car around for 15 min on flat ground and slow speeds to warm up gear oil and CV grease.

On 5/15/2019 at 12:09 PM, SEAN@WEDDLE said:

A quality shifter will certainly make a difference in the way the trans shifts, but I would have another probable cause to this.

Cold gear oil is pretty thick until it warms up to about 125ºF. This cold, thick oil gets in behind the synchronizers that grab the gear who's job is to slow down or speed up the gear as you shift into the gear. This cold oil does not want to move out of the way easily so the synchro cannot grab the gear to change it's speed so you can shift into it. This is where you might feel like you cannot position the shift lever into gear.

If the problem goes away when the trans warms up, then this is your likely culprit.

A lower weight oil can prevent this in cold temperatures, but at the expense of losing the protection factor on the gears and causing excessive wear.

X2

Not a problem exclusive to the 2d. Allot of sporty model cars have this issue. Some have gone as thin as atf in std gearboxs. More frequent oil service is then needed and causes bearings and syncros to premature wear. Better to learn to warm up, and Be nice for first couple miles.

EMPI parts are a good example of the old statement "you get what you pay for" or "bic lighter"