JoeyNY

Already at an impasse on my New to me car

10 hours ago, J Alper said:

I just don't see that being a good deal it says it is a roller but no pics of a roller, so what are you buying,

for what you paid for your car and you already have most of the parts and the parts you are selling cover the transaxle, and you already build street rods, seems like a pretty easy build for you,

It’s a good deal if you sell him a 2d with 930 flanges 😁

23 hours ago, JoeyNY said:

Unfortunately from my limited understanding of the AEM ECU it does not show as being compatible with the J32A3 engine. Lists all J30, J32A1 and A2 and the J35 series engines. Would still need a factory engine harness and someone to tune which I am assuming would run to around $500-750. So that would put me in the $2200-2500 range and still no diagnosis capabilities you would have with factory ECU.

Joey

i dont think your car is the issue, i think you will be extremely happy with the car.

they perform very well, get a stock LS for cheap, and buy Chris 2d its litterally new and be done

Fix what you have a run it is what I’d do.  Go have fun and show the fancy cars that you don’t need shit to hual ass.  

9 hours ago, CHRIS J said:

Joey

i dont think your car is the issue, i think you will be extremely happy with the car.

they perform very well, get a stock LS for cheap, and buy Chris 2d its litterally new and be done

I pretty sure this is why he wants to do it,

he has a LS1 full motor, ready to go

he has the wire harness,

and can sell the motor and old trans for most of the cost of the 2D

and he builds mussel cars so he has the shop to do it, 

There is a smoking deal on a 5.3/2d on RD.com.  Probably will sell today...….

3 hours ago, 1newbie said:

There is a smoking deal on a 5.3/2d on RD.com.  Probably will sell today...….

Thanks, no need for an engine have a complete LS1 and a 5.3 in the garage. Will check it out though.

For what it's worth I say: DO IT.

Oh, and start a build thread.

Do it!

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

Now that you have one foot already down the rabbit hole just go already yes you may not stay on budget but what automobile/buggy project does the more you do the more knowledge of your buggy you have when it brakes in the dunes(it will believe me) its like remodeling a house its a crap shoot if you look around and by that I mean stay away from the offroad centered vendors and use circle track or drag centered vendors you will find the prices are much lower on some items most of the nickel and dime stuff its really not that different than hot rod stuff you really only learn by doing.  Remember this is just like anything else everyone will have an opinion and most will say you are crazy but if you are having fun and learning can you really put a price on that........ when I built my last buggy it was from a roller and by the time I fixed all the so-called professional fab work I was about 5K over my budget but anytime I had an issue in the dunes I knew exactly that I did and how I did it and what to take apart to get her going again well worth the extra cash..... just jump....

I would recommend that you try to fix the issue without spending anymore cash and use the car to see if you like the way it rides . At least for one season. If you like it;  Then do the engine swap since you already have the motor in your garage. My car has a v6 3.2 and I did a 091 swap to 2D and it wasn't that bad.  When my current engine gives out I will for sure upgrade to a LS1 though.  I had to redo all the engine mounts anyhow so doing new engine mounts for a LS engine would be the same thing.  One thing for sure is it feels good to know that I have a 2D and not a 091. 

I think, based on your current cars, if  you decide to keep this car, you have to put that V-8 in there or you'll never be happy.  What's in there now  is okay, but nothing beats the torque or the drive-ability of a V8.  

You have the motor, and you're a fabricator, you can do it, just be sure you set that motor/trans up properly as Alper said.  You gotta get that right so everything else falls in to place, like the proper Cv's and axle angle, and how the motor sits in there. 

The combo spindles gotta go, they are gonna break and leave you stranded. Mid-boards, don't need 'em. a quality stub axle is fine. Your shock package is limited but will work okay with some tuning but don't expect a lot out of it.  The member who said drive it first, to see if you like the ride, is right, but don't know it that fits into your time frame.  Do a turn around trip to G and test it? 

Gonna keep the car? blow it apart, start selling stuff, get a trans, and get to fabricatin' and bending some pipe. 

Orrrrr, sell everything and put together enough cash to steal a V8, 2d, dual-shock car that will probably pop up this summer as someone decides to dump their car for a new SXS. Those  little dune buggies you buy today,  finance and insure, and be in the dunes tomorrow.....oops did I say that. :  )

Likely you will run over budget, and true,  these are the dumbest thing we could have ever bought because we are always spending money on them, and when it comes to resale and investment,  losers, but.... it's the most exciting and fun F'ing thing and toy I have ever owned. 

Good luck, get busy.....H

On 5/9/2019 at 9:44 AM, Roaddog said:

I think, based on your current cars, if  you decide to keep this car, you have to put that V-8 in there or you'll never be happy.  What's in there now  is okay, but nothing beats the torque or the drive-ability of a V8.  

You have the motor, and you're a fabricator, you can do it, just be sure you set that motor/trans up properly as Alper said.  You gotta get that right so everything else falls in to place, like the proper Cv's and axle angle, and how the motor sits in there. 

The combo spindles gotta go, they are gonna break and leave you stranded. Mid-boards, don't need 'em. a quality stub axle is fine. Your shock package is limited but will work okay with some tuning but don't expect a lot out of it.  The member who said drive it first, to see if you like the ride, is right, but don't know it that fits into your time frame.  Do a turn around trip to G and test it? 

Gonna keep the car? blow it apart, start selling stuff, get a trans, and get to fabricatin' and bending some pipe. 

Orrrrr, sell everything and put together enough cash to steal a V8, 2d, dual-shock car that will probably pop up this summer as someone decides to dump their car for a new SXS. Those  little dune buggies you buy today,  finance and insure, and be in the dunes tomorrow.....oops did I say that. :  )

Likely you will run over budget, and true,  these are the dumbest thing we could have ever bought because we are always spending money on them, and when it comes to resale and investment,  losers, but.... it's the most exciting and fun F'ing thing and toy I have ever owned. 

Good luck, get busy.....H

Great points! And surprisingly well written.....Were you a journalism major in college??

So I have been discussing this topic with the wife... If there was ever any question as to why I married her, the answer was in her response. She told me to do what was going to make me happy, told me build the car I want. She said “Doesn’t  matter if you sell this and buy another, either  way you will be pulling it apart and building what you want. Making it your’s not what someone else wanted.” So I have her blessing which is huge because we are a team, sounds weak but is how it should be🤷🏻‍♂️ I would not be where I am without her.  

On that note we are in the process of purchasing another toy hauler.  Have been toying with the idea of just buying a Class A motorhome since I have an enclosed trailer already with a generator, compressor, welder and complete tool box with tools. Can not seem to find a used hauler that has not been trashed for under $40K. On that note, have only owned older models.  I feel like a lot of the newer stuff will not hold up the way the older ones did. So the reason I mentioned this is I am waiting to drop any money on a trans until the new home away from home situation is solidified.  Don’t have a bunch of money these days, am just a poor USPS employee now. Only have what I have from being financially smart and hustling side jobs and flipping cars when I can. 

Now this leads me to the next dilemma as to whether or not I sell the other toys. I love my street car, but let’s be real only thing to do with a car that makes 700+HP at the tires is get in trouble! I am too old to be out causing trouble and racing for cash. Another vehicle in question is my S10 SS LS1 swapped daily, is not needed but it’s fun! Final one is my 70 Nova that is in pieces, not pretty but never been painted so is an honest car to start a build from. I don’t need the money from the vehicles, however freeing up space would be nice so I could actually move around my garage. Add these three to my Ram Cummins and the wife’s TDI Jetta and the driveway is clogged too. 

Included a couple pics of the junks in question... 

Sorry for the all over the place rant, my retired neighbor brought me a couple shots of Apple Cider Whiskey and some beers. 

As far as the current drivetrain in the sand car goes, I will do a compression test, leak down test, replace the oil filter housing/VTEC screen gasket assembly and o-rings at the camshaft. I put a 12V switch on the VTEC and it engages but the hit is a little soft, really think the issues in the harness or dated ECU I can not gain access into. Trans shifts good and smooth, will just put it all up for sale to try and soak up the price of purchasing a Mendeola for the swap. 

Also just wanted to say, thank you to the guys that have reached out and offered some solid technical advise. Is nice to hear from guys offering the results for their experiences, and try to send you in a direction that would save you time and money. This is why I love the real duning community! Is rare to see sincerity and honesty in society anymore, but can always seem to count on it from fellow duners. 

45F1FFF1-F056-4D97-AD11-C9485589E50E.jpeg

0B9640B1-A468-4A67-8419-B706F86A4C02.jpeg

1D31692E-690A-4B42-815C-6DBFDE023663.jpeg

D622EBBA-41A6-4A2B-8FE5-1C32BF83426E.jpeg