Sign in to follow this  
EMPIRE231

Stackers which lift?

Considering a stacker for my next trailer... what are the benefits / trade offs of the belly lifts, vs a regular lift?  

will be needing to haul a 4 seat sand car, and kids toys (small quad, RZR 170)... with the flexibility for bigger kids toys (rzr 900, etc)

any feedback at all? I guess what I'm looking for, is there any benefit to having the buggy stored up top, or down below?  

I think I would want the car down below, and kids toys up top.... but it would also be nice to have a lift that can tuck away up high, so when not in use, you can have big open space in the trailer?

there are a few with smaller lifts for RZRS and quads for sale, I think for 2 cars they are expensive and I heard a belly lift seems to be talked about a lot. I am not a baller, so i cannot fathom. i still drool on your current trailer

I have had a few. If you are hauling a sandcar and anything else I would recommend a belly lift. It allows so much more space once the car is lifted. I can put a sandcar up top and 2 rzr's down below in a 24' stacker and still have room in the loft for a quad or something else. I just had a Mod Kart, RZR 570, Zuma scooter and 2 wildcat xx's in mine for a beach trip. You couldn't do that with a standard floor lift. If you wanted the full floor you can add removable side panels to a belly lift but you cannot take them out on a standard lift.

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2019 at 1:41 PM, EMPIRE231 said:

Considering a stacker for my next trailer... what are the benefits / trade offs of the belly lifts, vs a regular lift?  

will be needing to haul a 4 seat sand car, and kids toys (small quad, RZR 170)... with the flexibility for bigger kids toys (rzr 900, etc)

A  wheel lift or deck platform is great for quads and probably the small RZR however, once you step up to a full size SxS, you're likely to encounter some clearance issues, that's where the chassis or belly lift comes into play.  Not knowing the specifics of your car, I can only give you my experience... with a modern, long travel sand car/LED roof bar, I was able to put a couple of 450's on the wheel lift, send the lift to the top, that gave me enough clearance to put my car in with 35.5 x 17 /12.50 x 17  STU's.  It quickly became evident that there was insufficient clearance between the lift and ceiling to squeeze a SxS up there with the wheel lift, making a belly lift a must. 

The lift in my trailer can be configured as both a wheel lift and chassis lift... although when configured as a chassis lift, the center rail (actually 2, but close together) are about 48" wide as opposed to maybe a 14"-ish  wide single, dedicated belly lift center rail.  Couple reasons this is important to know, first being a standard common width (64") SxS with stock offset wheels, can't straddle the two center rails.  Second issue is,  the two center rails are actually lifting the SxS near the tires by the lower control and trailing arms, not the chassis.  You gain a lot of clearance however, things are still tight.  I had both a RZR 4 and YXZ... with the stock cages, I couldn't get the lift up high enough to get my sand car in the trailer even utilizing loading tires.  I caged both with TMW cages... that worked however, I really had to crank down the ratchet tie downs, compressing the suspension on the SxS until the control and trailing arms were level or parallel with the bottom of the frame.  Even at that, I had maybe an inch of clearance from the top of the SxS cage and ceiling, and about an inch between the car light bar and bottom of the lift.  I'm one who ties down my stuff by the control arms (obviously not on the belly lift), on the sand car I had to secure the front of the chassis to prevent it from rebounding, preventing contact between the lightbar and underside of the lift (front tires on the sand car sitting on the fender boxes).  

Of course you can always do a shorter cage on your SxS, for what it's worth, an X3 with an SDR cage is significantly shorter than caged YXZ's or RZR's, allows me to set the lift up high enough to put my car in the trailer with the big tires on it.  Given what your future plans are, I would not do a dedicated wheel lift or deck platform lift, opting at minimum for a lift that can be configured as a wheel/chassis lift, or preferably a true dedicated belly lift, fabricating a couple of additional rails that can be fastened to the front and rear crossbars of the lift, turning your belly lift into a wheel/deck platform.

Couple other things to consider such as the length of the lift as well as the width... with the size increase of modern SxS's , you want to make sure your belly lift is long enough between the crossbars to handle the wheelbase, be it your SxS or sand car.  As an example, my Stinger lift measures 156" in overall length, 152" between the fore and aft crossbars.  An X3 4-seater has a wheelbase of 135", with 30" tires, the distance between the tires (rear of rear tire, front of front tire) measured at spindle/hub centerline is approximately 165".  Of course you might be able to flatten the tires or remove to get it to fit between the crossbars, but that's just more work.  The lift configured as a wheel lift is adequate, albeit barely... the correct solution is a longer lift.  As for width... some trailer manufacturers will recess the corner posts into the walls, just like some also offer a 98" wide ramp door door opening, important if you want to get out of the tire changing business (no load tires)... less  so if you enjoy that task.  Disclaimer... I'm sure there's cars out there that are well over that 98" width with sand tires that won't fit through the widest ramp door opening, so proceed at your own risk. 

Edited by carboy

Couple pics to explain

6E24B91A-7109-4861-8AC0-8804DB52C14C.jpeg

120875D1-CB2B-41F3-8191-48B8B612A927.jpeg

09124DE2-46A8-423F-A710-057D36241A9A.jpeg

E9B73410-F1FD-496E-8629-2EF2F956D28B.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback guys... looking like belly lift might be the way to go.  Put the buggy up top, and kids toys down below.  

For now, I just need to haul the 4 seat sand car, and a rzr 170 + small quad, but those kids toys will soon grow to a 2 seat rzr 800/900 and bigger quad.... so I just need the ability to do that.

I have a 24ft with a standard lift.  I can fit two cars and 4 quads in there no problem.  when I have one full size sand car, my sons LT short sand car., 4 seat XDS can am, full size bounce house, 2 atc 70's, raptor 250 and Polaris 525 quad.  yes all that stuff fits in a 24ft stacker with standard lift.  Its like a magic hat that stuff just keeps coming out of.   I think you will be fine with a standard lift.  easier to find also.  Belly lift can be a pain if the lift is two wide for the belly of your car.  must get rubber matts so the car doesn't slide also. 

23 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

I have a 24ft with a standard lift.  I can fit two cars and 4 quads in there no problem.  when I have one full size sand car, my sons LT short sand car., 4 seat XDS can am, full size bounce house, 2 atc 70's, raptor 250 and Polaris 525 quad.  yes all that stuff fits in a 24ft stacker with standard lift.  Its like a magic hat that stuff just keeps coming out of.   I think you will be fine with a standard lift.  easier to find also.  Belly lift can be a pain if the lift is two wide for the belly of your car.  must get rubber matts so the car doesn't slide also. 

Thanks for the feedback... that is a lot of stuff!

I'm debating between a 20' or 22"... will most likely end up with 22'... but was trying to stay within that legal length limit if I could, but at the same time, want the work bench up front etc, might have to do a V-nose.

I have a side bench and no front bench.  works out great still have my 24ft of storage and a bench.  front top cabinets and side cabinets too.  I even put a cabinets where the loft is I still can't believe I fit it all.  weights in at 17900 loaded with 75 gal of fuel and 50 of water. 

21 hours ago, Squatcher said:

Hey Squatcher, question for you.... when you say "two cars", you're talking two full size, long travel cars?  If so, I'm guessing both must be on load tires... do you have to strap down the suspension on one or both?  I'm amazed you can do that with a wheel lift... it's all I can do using a belly lift and load tires on my car to get a caged SxS and sand car stacked, that is without having to strap down the front of the sand car.  No doubt I could gain some clearance, but I honestly don't think enough to use a wheel lift.   One other thing, do the front tires on your sand car ride on the fender boxes? 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, carboy said:

Hey Squatcher, question for you.... when you say "two cars", you're talking two full size, long travel cars?  If so, I'm guessing both must be on load tires... do you have to strap down the suspension on one or both?  I'm amazed you can do that with a wheel lift... it's all I can do using a belly lift and load tires on my car to get a caged SxS and sand car stacked, that is without having to strap down the front of the sand car.  No doubt I could gain some clearance, but I honestly don't think enough to use a wheel lift.   One other thing, do the front tires on your sand car ride on the fender boxes? 

yep full size cars with paddles on.  on is a older alumicraft so it isn't too tall.  only 66"  other car is 69" tall and fits in with 2" to spare.  my stacker is 11'4" inside. I do have some tricks to get my can am and full size car in but not a big deal at all. Ok checked top car has 33" loaders on it not paddles

Edited by Squatcher
Remembered

Posted (edited)

Dm me I've built about 10 stackers now with every lifting system you can think of my latest carries a 2 seat Tatum 2 seat racer 2 can ams 4 quads and is 36' long ultra hialer with a   belly lift its  the only way to go... 

Screenshot_20190510-001450_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190510-001515_Instagram.jpg

Edited by Supreme Air

On 5/8/2019 at 2:22 PM, Squatcher said:

I would have plan on being there for a month to make it worth it to load, and unload, all that twice per trip.