MeterTech

2011 Ford Super Duty 6.7L MPG

Yo,

I've been tracking my MPG while towing my 5th wheel with my 2011 Super Duty 6.7L and not very happy about averaging 8.7 MPG.... 
Now I've heard if you delete the DEF system and re-tune helps but then have to deal with passing smog here in Cali.....I'm happy with the power but looking for suggestions on how to get better MPG........

Thx in advance.

pssst , you are supposed to lie about your diesel fuel mileage.  90% of diesel owner lie for some reason. 

14 minutes ago, megadesertdiesel said:

pssst , you are supposed to lie about your diesel fuel mileage.  90% of diesel owner lie for some reason. 

My experience ... Seems especially Dodge owners :1cheff:

my 2014 deleted and tuned would only get 8.0 at best towing my 2006 ww slc3705 fully loaded. Then again I dont tow at 55- Im normally between 70-80mph and get 7.5mpg.

I did weigh my truck and trailer fully loaded minus my rzr and I was just over 27k lbs so im right under 30k lbs rolling down the road with the rzr in the back.

What speeds are you towing at?

I have a 2017 F350 6.7 SRW, LB, SC and I get towing my 33' Attitude 5'er 9.5 at about 60 to 65 MPH.  I get 11.5 towing my 22' 7000lb buggy trailer.

My 06 6.0 F250 used to get 8.5 with the 5'ver and 9.5 with the buggy trailer.

i get between 9-14 with my 2016 6.7 but i have 4.30 gearing so i am assuming that is helping me get better numbers?

My old 2002 7.3 towing a 40' 5er gets 9-10mpg. on average.  I've had head winds and been as low as 6.5, and seen as high as 13 (must have had a tail wind!).  I can rely on 9-10 though.  Same as my 40' diesel pusher got!  

22 hours ago, MeterTech said:

Yo,

I've been tracking my MPG while towing my 5th wheel with my 2011 Super Duty 6.7L and not very happy about averaging 8.7 MPG.... 
Now I've heard if you delete the DEF system and re-tune helps but then have to deal with passing smog here in Cali.....I'm happy with the power but looking for suggestions on how to get better MPG........

Thx in advance.

I have the same truck in a short bed. They come with a small tank and I can only go a little over 200 miles on a tank when towing. I was going to delete but after a lot of research it isn't worth the cost. They said you gain 1-3 mpg at most. That nets me maybe 50 more miles per tank. I'm looking into buying the Titan 60 gal replacement tank instead. That will almost triple my range and less money than deleting. I love these trucks but the small tank and mpg's suck.

1 hour ago, hondajimz said:

I have the same truck in a short bed. They come with a small tank and I can only go a little over 200 miles on a tank when towing. I was going to delete but after a lot of research it isn't worth the cost. They said you gain 1-3 mpg at most. That nets me maybe 50 more miles per tank. I'm looking into buying the Titan 60 gal replacement tank instead. That will almost triple my range and less money than deleting. I love these trucks but the small tank and mpg's suck.

Get the titan tank. Best thing I’ve done to my 7.3 It’s expensive butt worth it 

5 hours ago, hondajimz said:

Ya, not interested in the delete...seems like a headache!
I am considering the Titan Tank replacement but what I don't like is how low it sits. Well below any other part of the truck including running boards and the $300 protective cover is all plastic and won't protect much from what I have read!
Stupid of Ford to only give us a 26 gallon tank for a Super Duty w/ 6.7L....Idiots!!

6 hours ago, bgchlln said:

Get the titan tank. Best thing I’ve done to my 7.3 It’s expensive butt worth it 

Put a Titan tank in my DMAX.  Round trip to G and back (+a 37' trailer) without stopping for fuel is where it's at!!

That’s way too small of a tank for any truck.   I think they figured it out at some point because my ecoboost half ton has a 36g tank.   

19 hours ago, MeterTech said:

I am considering the Titan Tank replacement but what I don't like is how low it sits. Well below any other part of the truck including running boards and the $300 protective cover is all plastic and won't protect much from what I have read!
Stupid of Ford to only give us a 26 gallon tank for a Super Duty w/ 6.7L....Idiots!!

really depends on the truck mine has a 40 gallon, 2011 dually

And, location on the truck.   We order F550 to build on at my shop.  You only get the 40 if it's in frame.  If it's the saddle tank its the smaller one.

Posted (edited)

I picked up a '19 F350 Super Cab, Long bed, SWD. The one trip I have been able to make to Glaims it averaged 11.5 round trip pulling my 15K 5th wheel.

Around town plus my work commute it is seeing 15.5.

Oh and it has a 50 gallon tank factory installed (Standard not option).

Edited by DUNZ4ME

I pull a Weekend warrior slc3705 with a funco in it and get about 8.5 to 9.5 mpg.

23 hours ago, J Alper said:

Ya, for some unknown reason back in 2011 I thought I didn't need a Long Bed Truck.....Stupid on my part!

52 minutes ago, MeterTech said:

Ya, for some unknown reason back in 2011 I thought I didn't need a Long Bed Truck.....Stupid on my part!

my favorite part about the dually is parking it, everyone looks at you like your a azz, but they should try to park one LOL

On 5/11/2019 at 9:26 AM, J Alper said:

my favorite part about the dually is parking it, everyone looks at you like your a azz, but they should try to park one LOL

I had a 2008 Dually.....I feel your pain.....but damn they tow Nice!!

2014 F250 Deleted pulling 2015 Attitude 32SAG. Phoenix to Havasu Last weekend got 11.5mpg

On 5/8/2019 at 9:18 AM, MeterTech said:

Yo,

Thx in advance.

Probably not going to get much better deleting anyway. My federal emissions 5.9 Dodge didn’t get much better towing a 5th wheel and didn’t have any smog equipment. 

On 5/8/2019 at 9:20 AM, megadesertdiesel said:

This was last weekend...

I know the 30 MPG was only for a 50 mile average..but that's pretty good.

Ended being 20.3 for the whole trip.

I've checked these numbers with actual fill up zero out, fill up again do the math my self and it was the same as the dash indicates.

IMG_20190513_065733692.jpg

IMG_20190513_065710677.jpg

Apples to basketballs, but 99 7.3, just finished 2800 mile drive with dually and 4000 lbs camper that's as aero dynamic as a shoe box, average  11.4 driving 65 to 70. When trailer is behind drops to 10.5-9.5mpg. In town empty, 17.5  to 18. Truck is basically stock.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:07 AM, J Alper said:

If Ford is like Chevy it is the length of the bed that dictates the fuel tank size. 

The worst truck to have period... Well besides a 6.4.... Is the Chevy 8.1 with a short bed truck.  You only get 26 gallons and if your towing well you can pass anything on the road but a gas station.

Know a guy who had to fill up 3 times driving up to flagstaff towing one of the big Raptor 5th wheels with 3 slides. 

On 5/9/2019 at 1:19 PM, MeterTech said:

I have always been happy with Aero tanks in San Bernardino. I have had them install one on every Super Duty I have owned and never had an issue. 

http://www.aerotanks.com/

:thumbup: