Jonesin'

Fuel level gauge

I had a Dunn Tech that had a sight tube on the back side of the tank.  I replaced the hard braided hose with new clear "fuel hose" as stated by the local Hose Man store. After a few days, I noticed that the hose had expanded and felt more rubbery. I went back to the Hose Man, and they assured me that it WAS fuel hose. I bought a different brand and tried that. it too did the same thing. Thinking I would just keep an eye on it, I left it on. After a few months, while in the back yard near the trailer, I smelled gas, and noticed drips starting to leak out from the floor of the trailer on to the ground. I opened the door and discovered a lake of gas inside the trailer. I took a deep breath and went in. I discovered that the clear hose had split open emptying the tank into the trailer. After getting another breath of air, I grabbed some Vice Grips and clamped the hose off, opened the windows and doors to air it out. After the near death experience of trying to work inside an enclosed trailer full of gas, and cleaning it up, I removed the hose and capped the fittings. from then on, I simply removed the gas cap and looked into the tank. I'll never use clear fuel hose again!

I put on in my Jaz fuel cell four years ago and it still works fine.  Summit Racing sells it or you can get it right from Jaz.  They come in various lengths.  You just have to match the ohms to whatever gauge you get. 

https://www.jazproducts.com/store/fuel-level-sending-unit

~jw

I've had gas guages in my last 2 cars and they've worked flawlessly. In fact it's one of my favorite features.

I was interested on how to TIG my tank? Tips on how to get rid of the fumes?

Are you proficient in TIG welding already?

3 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Are you proficient in TIG welding already?

Not whatsoever! I was thinking of taking it and having it done somewhere. Not sure if there is something that I needed to do before hand to get rid of the fumes?

Let them worry about it.

5 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

Not whatsoever! I was thinking of taking it and having it done somewhere. Not sure if there is something that I needed to do before hand to get rid of the fumes?

I washed mine with soap and water and let it sit in the sun for several days. Fumes bad!

Ok. Sounds good

2 hours ago, Jonesin' said:

I was interested on how to TIG my tank? Tips on how to get rid of the fumes?

I put a gauge in my stock tank also, which was aluminum.  I washed it out with dish soap and water until I couldn't smell gas anymore.  Let it air out and it wasn't a problem.  Some guys fill them with an inert gas like Co2 before welding also.  

~jw

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jwest2sh said:

I put a gauge in my stock tank also, which was aluminum.  I washed it out with dish soap and water until I couldn't smell gas anymore.  Let it air out and it wasn't a problem.  Some guys fill them with an inert gas like Co2 before welding also.  

~jw

^^Purging with an inert gas sounds like the best method to me. I converted my spun aluminum tank from a 1/4 turn filler neck to a 2" hose barb for a remote fill. After washing it out with soapy water I let it set out for a day or so and then rinsed it out with a gallon of acetone. There was no fuel smell after I did that. I wasn't present when it was welded so I couldn't say for sure what method was used.

I'm curious about this now. I want to hear what method works for welding a used fuel tank. That's scary stuff.

Fwiw, originally I clamped the clear vinyl hose to the short 1/4 turn neck on the tank and it would always leave seepage stains around the tank. Then I had a legitimate 2" hose barb welded over the hole and double clamped a new hose in place thinking this would stop it from seeping fuel and collecting sand on the moisture. It didn't and it still seeps ever so slightly and eventually after 2 or 3 trips is a mess again. I so totally want to install a fuel cell with a bladder. 

Edited by fortyfour

13 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

^^Purging with an inert gas sounds like the best method to me. I converted my spun aluminum tank from a 1/4 turn filler neck to a 2" hose barb for a remote fill. After washing it out with soapy water I let it set out for a day or so and then rinsed it out with a gallon of acetone. There was no fuel smell after I did that. I wasn't present when it was welded so I couldn't say for sure what method was used.

I'm curious about this now. I want to hear what method works for welding a used fuel tank. That's scary stuff.

I know a few guys that do this regularly.  You have to be careful but if done correctly....it's pretty safe.  We had a guy on fire watch with an extinguisher standing right there too.  Definitely wearing a full leather welding jacket, apron hood and hat.