Phoenix7

Need advice on SxS belt heat sensors

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking about buying a heat sensor to protect my belt, yet I've also been told by a long time SxS owner that my 2017 model is engineered to control heat.  The real danger to the belt may be how you drive your SxS.  When I broke my belt I was looping Oldsmobile 3 times in a row at full speed in 4WD without stopping, going really hard over the whoops with my back tires hitting the fender (before I bought stronger springs).

What do you think about it?

Did you buy a sensor, and how much do you feel it helped?

What kind did you buy?

Do you feel that driving in 100 degree plus weather risks belt breakage more?

I'm asking this because I don't want to pay for things that aren't necessary since I could be trading up in 2020 or 2021.

Edited by Phoenix7

AIM CVT belt temp gauge for the win.  Eff the other thieves(sorry personal issue I have with them).   The AIM is very soon to be released and is light years above the other brand.  The AIM has an easier to see screen and adjustable setting for backlight, high and alarm setpoints plus a lot more. 

Using a belt gauge is a nice thing to have but not necessary.  Once you have one you will be able to see when your temps spike which will let you take it easy until they come down.  After a couple of trips with the gauge you will learn and possibly not need to look at the gauge you will know when to chill a bit and not beat on the car. 

in all just knowing how hard you push the car and the result of hotter belt temps is worth the price.  You will end up training yourself to drive differently. 

5 hours ago, megadesertdiesel said:

AIM CVT belt temp gauge for the win.  Eff the other thieves(sorry personal issue I have with them).   The AIM is very soon to be released and is light years above the other brand.  The AIM has an easier to see screen and adjustable setting for backlight, high and alarm setpoints plus a lot more. 

Using a belt gauge is a nice thing to have but not necessary.  Once you have one you will be able to see when your temps spike which will let you take it easy until they come down.  After a couple of trips with the gauge you will learn and possibly not need to look at the gauge you will know when to chill a bit and not beat on the car. 

in all just knowing how hard you push the car and the result of hotter belt temps is worth the price.  You will end up training yourself to drive differently. 

Thanks for the excellent advice.  I have already started to drive differently after the first breakage, but all of us guys want to drive aggressively at times, so it's something I still need to work on and train myself on.

9 hours ago, megadesertdiesel said:

I had trouble finding this product, any help would be appreciated greatly, thank you.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:16 AM, megadesertdiesel said:

Is there a web site for this 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, stonehenge said:

I had trouble finding this product, any help would be appreciated greatly, thank you.

soon to be released.  They had them at the Sandshow last summer and are very close to releasing them.  I have a pre production unit. 

10 minutes ago, Mac said:

I ran the Alba belt temp gauge system on my old RZR.  Worked very well.

https://teamalbaracing.com/i-23900501-belt-temp-gauge-with-fan-controller-and-harness.html

These kits are fine to use if all you are attempting to monitor is the ambient temperature of your CVT compartment.  However the razorback kit and hopefully soon this AIM kit, they actually and more accurately monitor the belt temperature.  Which is a more focused solution to maintaining belt longevity. 

I'm very skeptical of that Alba Racing chart showing ambient temp vs belt life. It definitely is NOT a linear relationship. The belts disintegrate at a specific temp. (somewhere up around 265* or slightly higher) when the glue that binds the rubber to the kevlar threads let go. Your belt could be hovering at 220* all day long and it will just keep on going. I'm sure that higher temps. shorten the lifetime of the belt slightly, but it is definitely not linear.

It sounds like the AIM sensor is an IR sensor that actually reads the belt rather than the air temp.

Just dont run olds 3 times in a row without a break.  Invest your money into a cooler that has stuff you want to stop and enjoy more often.

The infrared type belt temp gauge set ups would be best as they allegedly give you the temps of the belt.   People still blow belts even with a gauge to monitor temps.

I don't run a temp gauge as I do not want to drive based on temps.  I try to use my right foot as my gauge.   It has worked pretty well.  1 blown belt on my XP1000 at 2500+ miles and took out my first belt on my X3 keeping it pegged across a dry lake bed at over 90mph (I knew that belt was not going to last, but was just having to much fun to let off the gas). 

On the Maverick getting as much airflow into the clutches and getting the clutches dialed in with a kit would go a lot longer way toward belt life. 

Posted (edited)

Ride Now Powersports, who does work for me. is familiar with the Razorback.  In other words that's what they are pushing.  I looked it up and it seems to be an IR.

Edited by Phoenix7

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, r3meyer said:

Just dont run olds 3 times in a row without a break.  Invest your money into a cooler that has stuff you want to stop and enjoy more often.

I like your tip, but can you please clarify "Invest your money into a cooler____________"?

OK, I get it now.....LOL

Edited by Phoenix7

2 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

The infrared type belt temp gauge set ups would be best as they allegedly give you the temps of the belt.   People still blow belts even with a gauge to monitor temps.

I don't run a temp gauge as I do not want to drive based on temps.  I try to use my right foot as my gauge.   It has worked pretty well.  1 blown belt on my XP1000 at 2500+ miles and took out my first belt on my X3 keeping it pegged across a dry lake bed at over 90mph (I knew that belt was not going to last, but was just having to much fun to let off the gas). 

On the Maverick getting as much airflow into the clutches and getting the clutches dialed in with a kit would go a lot longer way toward belt life. 

That's AMAZING about the 2500+ miles!

Regarding your X3, I think you're saying that the belt isn't an issue because you know how to control your driving, except for the 90 mph event?

4 hours ago, socaldmax said:

I'm very skeptical of that Alba Racing chart showing ambient temp vs belt life. It definitely is NOT a linear relationship. The belts disintegrate at a specific temp. (somewhere up around 265* or slightly higher) when the glue that binds the rubber to the kevlar threads let go. Your belt could be hovering at 220* all day long and it will just keep on going. I'm sure that higher temps. shorten the lifetime of the belt slightly, but it is definitely not linear.

It sounds like the AIM sensor is an IR sensor that actually reads the belt rather than the air temp.

Thanks VERY MUCH for the scientific breakdown of what really happens with belt temps.  I was unclear on this before.

Just now, Phoenix7 said:

That's AMAZING about the 2500+ miles!

Regarding your X3, I think you're saying that the belt isn't an issue because you know how to control your driving, except for the 90 mph event?

Yes,  your right foot helps a lot with belt life.   Knowing when to layoff the throttle and use the dunes to keep your momentum will go a long way on belt life.  

Unfortunately, the original Maverick clutch set up is not the greatest.   They had an updated cover to get more airflow in there.   The right clutch set up will help.  

Are you going through a lot of belts?

10 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

I like your tip, but can you please clarify "Invest your money into a cooler____________"?

He is talking about an ice chest and beverage breaks when the belt breaks. LOL!

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Yes,  your right foot helps a lot with belt life.   Knowing when to layoff the throttle and use the dunes to keep your momentum will go a long way on belt life.  

Unfortunately, the original Maverick clutch set up is not the greatest.   They had an updated cover to get more airflow in there.   The right clutch set up will help.  

Are you going through a lot of belts?

The belt breakage I described in the topic happened at 180 miles.  Now I have 355 miles.  I created this topic because I was getting nervous about going to the dunes on Memorial Day Weekend.  If I was able to show up early enough to ride with the group that is forming, I was nervous about all the RPM's required in the softer summer sand, combined with the heat.  So I've been thinking about going to Ocotillo Wells and Johnson Valley on Memorial Day Weekend and skipping the dunes.  That's it in a nutshell.  I'm still unsure about the dunes in the summer, but this topic plus my driving adjustments should help me save some belts in the future.

And I'm still thinking about the sensor, but am leaning toward adopting a wait and see strategy, like holding it out there for the future.

Edited by Phoenix7