ArmorWrap

How friendly are Glamis people?

Ok, its been years since I've been to Glamis. This last season I got a Can Am XRS and a couple of quads for the family. We've been to Ocotillo a few times this season but never made it to Glamis and don't really know anyone going anymore. All of the people I've gone with years ago no longer are into the offroad sport. We're talking 10-15 years ago.  I get the feeling the sand car people sort of despise SxS groups also...in general but thats another topic altogether. Maybe I misread that. Maybe its the other way around? I don't know.

So, just looking for a cool group to meet up with next season to remind us of the ropes/rules of the dunes. Things have changed since I've been and it's just more fun camping with people.  Whenever we boat/camp/offroad it seems we are always the host and just don't know many people who have their own stuff.  We just get tired of being the host with everything we do.

So I'm just putting feelers out there to see if people would welcome some more into your group when the time comes next season. 

IMO, most folks are friendly AF.  Especially the folks here.

It's the beginning of off season. Most of us are working on our trailers, or cars or bikes or putting plans together for the maintenance ahead of next season.

Planning trips not so much unless you like the summer heat. There is a.die hard group here that does summer runs around the full moons. Great group with open arms. 

Hang out here. Don't sweat the summer drama on the board as we all get pent up waiting for October. Get to know some people and I'm sure you will find that groove to ride into.

Welcome back to the sand box.

:sail:

Glamis people are jerks especially Sandrail dorks stay away!

jk, a lot of cool peeps here no matter what they ride. 

The SXS peeps are not so bad as long as they get a Tee Time, their bags don’t fall off their rigs and they break 90...

I have found Glamis peeps way more inviting than other sports/addictions I to kinda go in and out of the dunes addiction based on how the year is going too bad we make most of the house hold money during dune season so we don't get out much how ever we usually just roll up to people camping and ask hey can we camp with/behind you and it usually only takes a few conversations(my wife and I are both very out going) and next thing its like we have know each other for years.  We have a SXS and quads and have camped with all buggies camps and all SXS/quad/dirt-bike camps tents/haulers most people I have found if you drag all your stuff out there they know you are not just a hanger on or that person who just comes with nothing and just hangs out.....

Seems there's always tension between groups. Sandcars, SxS, quads, bikes, etc, but I don't think it generally extends beyond online BS'ing. Most people are generally cool, as long as you aren't being a dick to them. I've seen way more acts of aggression with other outdoor sports, like surfing, than I have at Glamis. 

I think much of the animosity towards SxS people is that the popularity of SxS has brought a lot of people who have never been desert folks to Glamis (and other places). Many of these newer people don't seem to have any riding/camping etiquette or respect for public land. Not that there aren't plenty of sandcar/bike/quad riders that dump trash, but the fact that SxS are the trendy new thing and popular for newbies makes them an easy target, if you will.

My group is small but you're always welcome with us in wash 10, and I'm sure you will find plenty of others that will say the same.  I like being with a group, doesn't matter what you ride, we are all there for the same reason.

Years ago....we use to do Taco Tuesdays, Wet Wednesdays, Thirsty Thursdays.  It was a local thing but people in the different regions would put one on to get together, meet and greet, etc...  I know San Diego hasn't done one in a very long time.

Some reasons are life gets in the way, people get busy, priorities change.  Also, people change.  People you once got along with, you don't anymore (insert reason here).  

Still, great site to meet people and reconnect with.  I have changed groups a few times (insert reason here).  I am in a great group now and it looks like we'll all be staying put for a long time...I hope.  It's become a true family.  Not a single bad element.  The key is, find people that are looking for the same things you are.  We don't have many kids in our group and the ones there are all older.  I use to party HARD.  Had a DJ system, lights, brought kegs out.  I kind of grew out of it.  With that said, I also know groups I won't be a part of (insert reason here).

Good luck with your search and no hard feelings trying a few groups out till you find your fit.

26 minutes ago, xtracrispy said:

Seems there's always tension between groups. Sandcars, SxS, quads, bikes, etc, but I don't think it generally extends beyond online BS'ing. Most people are generally cool, as long as you aren't being a dick to them. I've seen way more acts of aggression with other outdoor sports, like surfing, than I have at Glamis. 

I think much of the animosity towards SxS people is that the popularity of SxS has brought a lot of people who have never been desert folks to Glamis (and other places). Many of these newer people don't seem to have any riding/camping etiquette or respect for public land. Not that there aren't plenty of sandcar/bike/quad riders that dump trash, but the fact that SxS are the trendy new thing and popular for newbies makes them an easy target, if you will.

My group is small but you're always welcome with us in wash 10, and I'm sure you will find plenty of others that will say the same.  I like being with a group, doesn't matter what you ride, we are all there for the same reason.

Or the new SxS people are out in the dunes lost, stuck, broke down, etc.. and looking to you for help. Don't get me wrong, we are very friendly and don't mind helping others that are truly in need, but if you're gonna go out in the dunes maybe get a GPS? Maybe carry a spare belt and tie rods and learn how to change them? Or at the least, ride with a group that does.

41 minutes ago, xtracrispy said:

I really like some of your comments.  I hope I can be in your group a couple times next season.

Yes I'm one of those newbie SxS owners.  I couldn't get myself outdoors, out of the city, and the SxS has helped tremendously.  But some day I still need to plug the camping gap, and probably buy a toy hauler.  I feel that it all works out in the end.  Each person gravitates to the type of vehicle they were meant to ride, and they do the type of things they were meant to do.

We are pretty much in the same boat. We have one side-by-side and two quads.....

Find a way to maneuver the dunes. Don't care what vehicle it is. Just Dune Baby!! I'm with Mac on this one. Party Hard with a bunch of old folks. Bed time 9:00pm. Wake up call 6:00am! Dunes by 10:00. Nap at 1:00. Dunes at 4:00. Repeat daily! Peace

58 minutes ago, CHEFF said:

Find a way to maneuver the dunes. Don't care what vehicle it is. Just Dune Baby!! I'm with Mac on this one. Party Hard with a bunch of old folks. Bed time 9:00pm. Wake up call 6:00am! Dunes by 10:00. Nap at 1:00. Dunes at 4:00. Repeat daily! Peace

Hell I'm only 28 and my bedtime is still 9 😂 Old soul I guess.

21 hours ago, nickman123 said:

Or the new SxS people are out in the dunes lost, stuck, broke down, etc.. and looking to you for help. Don't get me wrong, we are very friendly and don't mind helping others that are truly in need, but if you're gonna go out in the dunes maybe get a GPS? Maybe carry a spare belt and tie rods and learn how to change them? Or at the least, ride with a group that does.

My group once got a guy in a rental SxS unstuck from the top of a razor.  We explained why you don't just drive straight over the top.  He was stuck again before we even got out of sight.  I had the same thing happen to a Jeep in Buttercup.  He had no tools, no beer, and his tires at 40 PSI.   I aired him down and helped dig him out, but he was stuck again by the time I crossed the valley.

21 hours ago, Mac said:

Years ago....we use to do Taco Tuesdays, Wet Wednesdays, Thirsty Thursdays.  It was a local thing but people in the different regions would put one on to get together, meet and greet, etc...  I know San Diego hasn't done one in a very long time.

Some reasons are life gets in the way, people get busy, priorities change.  Also, people change.  People you once got along with, you don't anymore (insert reason here).  

Still, great site to meet people and reconnect with.  I have changed groups a few times (insert reason here).  I am in a great group now and it looks like we'll all be staying put for a long time...I hope.  It's become a true family.  Not a single bad element.  The key is, find people that are looking for the same things you are.  We don't have many kids in our group and the ones there are all older.  I use to party HARD.  Had a DJ system, lights, brought kegs out.  I kind of grew out of it.  With that said, I also know groups I won't be a part of (insert reason here).

Good luck with your search and no hard feelings trying a few groups out till you find your fit.

Mac does have a great group.  I hitched a ride with them once and as luck would have it (bad), my shit broke.  I got it fixed and told them I was going back to camp.  They insisted on sending someone with me, although once at Olds I told them I was fine.  Hope I can ride with them again next year in the sand car.

People are so friendly, they will join your camp 8’ off the side of your RV on gecko rd. They’ll get out and make some conversation. 

It’s just like every where else...... you can find good in people and you can find bad in people...... it’s just how you decide that you want to look at people in your life. Party On Big Daddy

Come on out for Memorial Day weekend, Pad 5 Fun times for sure. Dune 6 to 10:30 am. Chill under ac then back out 4:30 til dark. Some go out after dark, I have no explanation for that.

2 hours ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Mac does have a great group.  I hitched a ride with them once and as luck would have it (bad), my shit broke.  I got it fixed and told them I was going back to camp.  They insisted on sending someone with me, although once at Olds I told them I was fine.  Hope I can ride with them again next year in the sand car.

Anytime man.   Besides, I want to get a look at that new car of yours!