turbotbird

Shock Preference for Mid Engine V-8 Car

Good afternoon, I am looking for opinions on shocks for the buggy I am having built.  I am unsure whether or not I need to run bypasses on the rear or not.  The car is a two seat mid-engine Smith Sandcar.  I am running an LS/2D set up and expect the car to weigh around 2000lbs.  Honestly, I don't dune all that hard and don't jump much.  However, I am concerned about the weight of the V-8 being too much for a standard coil over.  I appreciate your guys expert opinions.  

Mark

I run a 4cyl Ecotec  Mid engine car.

15-1600lbs total and adding the rear Bypass shocks was one of the best mods I have done.

Works tons better and super easy to dial in..

I was getting close with just coilovers but the Bypasses were the icing on the cake...

I suggest you talk to Mark at Mark's Sandtrans in Forrest Grove.  He set up my Smith 2 seater

FWIW, I cannot imagine doing a new build and not using rear bypass.  Especially since it is a major upgrade to do later.  If the budget is tight, I would throw a junkyard LS in there and upgrade that later.

Yes - get the by passes!

If budget is tight have the car built with the mounts so you can bolt them on later (chassis and trailing arms)

Adjusting the suspension is so much easier with them. With just the coil over you will be tearing down the shock to put in new valving to make adjustments.

With them the coil over will carry the weight and the by pass will be your tuning and ride 'zones'

I would definitely have the car prepped for bypass even if you cannot afford them today, major pain later and bypasses do help resale

Posted (edited)

No Question

The coil over is carrying the load and the bypass is to control it.

Edited by jaybird95

Get the front and rear tabbed for bypasses. Then add the front bypasses later, if you can't afford them now.

Great advice.  I’ll have him set it up for bypasses.

Thanks again!

Mark

If I were building a sand only car I would not use bypasses again. I think a single coil over and bump stops would be the best. We don’t need the oil volume and you can get coils to handle 90% of what is needed... then the bump stops are there fo big jumps and g-outs. Desert is a different game. 

I have bump stops and bypasses, no questions, tab for bypasses.