Mac

Power steering

see how much rap is around the 6rib, on the balancer and the power steering, this is done by adding the idler between the balancer and the alternator, so on your setup it would be like the alternator

s-l225.jpg

I did electric and it works great. Advantage imo is it still easy to drive should it stop working. That has yet to happen in 4 years now.

20 minutes ago, J Alper said:

see how much rap is around the 6rib, on the balancer and the power steering, this is done by adding the idler between the balancer and the alternator, so on your setup it would be like the alternator

s-l225.jpg

Reading your description made sense.

I'm factoring in all the inputs.  I do appreciate the explanation and that might be an option.

I can see going to electric if you had no steering, but everything is there so you can make a new bracket wider then add a pulley between them and you are done at very low cost,

Belts will also squeal if they are off line by a small amount. You can try moving the power steering pulley inward a small bit or outward to see if the noise changes

Couple guys in our group switched over to electric and like it.  My only suggestion would be to get one that you can adjust with a knob(soft-firm).  Some of the "offroad" kits are not adjustable or at least dont come that way.

Just now, Ecobraap said:

Couple guys in our group switched over to electric and like it.  My only suggestion would be to get one that you can adjust with a knob(soft-firm).  Some of the "offroad" kits are not adjustable or at least dont come that way.

Good info.  Thanks.

X2 on Alpers response, don't waste your time switching it over, there is no advantage in my opinion, unless you don't have any at all, then the electric has the advantage of being easier to install.  Ad an idler pulley to make the belt have more contact with the pulley. Easy peasy.

For pricing and comparison, what's a good electronic power steering unit?  Brands?  Models?

Posted (edited)

I had a Charlyn and switched to Electric last year.

I didn't like how a Charlyn is "darty" meaning it's not happy in the center, it's always trying to turn. Then you have the long hoses, hot oil, seeping fittings, belt issues, etc. 

Electric is awesome. I bought the kit with the adjustable assist and I can dial in how easy I want it to turn. To me feedback is worlds better than a Charlyn that essentially gives you nothing back. 

If you stall your car or just want to move it in the garage, you can easily turn the tires with the engine off. I sold my old Charlyn on GD and it more than paid for the electric setup. The kits available have mostly everything, you just need to figure out what U-Joints you need for your car.

I agree that it's probably sketchy on a larger car, but you have to think about almost every new car coming out using electric, has to be reliable and safe.

I bought my kit from a GD vendor, and there's another guy in Ramona that has everything. E-Powersteering I think.

Edited by Turbo_Manx_Maniac

1 minute ago, Turbo_Manx_Maniac said:

I had a Charlyn and switched to Electric last year.

I didn't like how a Charlyn is "darty" meaning it's not happy in the center, it's always trying to turn. Then you have the long hoses, hot oil, seeping fittings, belt issues, etc. 

Electric is awesome. I bought the kit with the adjustable assist and I can dial in how easy I want it to turn. To me feedback is worlds better than a Charlyn that essentially gives you nothing back. 

If you stall your car or just want to move it in the garage, you can easily turn the tires with the engine off. I sold my old Charlyn on GD and it more than paid for the electric setup. The kits available have mostly everything, you just need to figure out what U-Joints you need for your car.

I agree that it's probably sketchy on a larger car, but you have to think about almost every new car coming out using electric, has to be reliable and safe.

What kit did you use?

Search for the thread in parts called affordable electric power steering, that guy was really responsive and had a great price.

hondarcr on here sells the kits and they come with the adjustment knob.

If you have a charlynn ditch it. I hated how it felt. I sold my set up for more than the eps cost me. I can let go of the wheel and grab my errrr drink without worrying. 

2 hours ago, Mac said:

What kit did you use?

I bought my kit on here Mac. Search affordable power steering posted by  hondarcr as suggested.

I will add a couple things. Glen in our group bought a DD car with Howe steering and he was coming out of a car with electric power steering and one of the first things he did was swap to electric power steering cuz he liked the feel of it better. 

Also, my last trip out a few weeks ago i loaded on the trailer with power steering and when I unloaded in Glamis it would not come on. Still duned all day without it. I texted Harvey (hondarcr) and he made one reply that was of no help and when I asked for suggestions, nothing. Just sayin'. Packed her away unfixed. Probably be a September issue now.

I've had a few clients ask me about switching their cars from hydraulic to electric and after I put the numbers on paper it's better to stay with what you have.  There will be very little to no horsepower gains, let alone weight savings, which seems to be the two biggest reasons people want to switch.  If it was a new build then I would absolutely recommend going with electric, but retrofitting an existing car isn't very cost effective unless you're doing the work yourself.  There will be welding and fabrication for brackets and some wiring.

9 hours ago, Mac said:

It's a 4.5in pulley

20190513_105004.jpg

This picture alone would make me want to switch. I can't stand all the leaking fluid and the mess it makes. I assume you need to top off the reservoir as well. I've had both and I recommend the EPS.

9 hours ago, Mac said:

It's a 4.5in pulley

20190513_105004.jpg

This picture alone would make me want to switch. I can't stand all the leaking fluid and the mess it makes. I assume you need to top off the reservoir as well. I've had both and I recommend the EPS.

9 hours ago, Mac said:

It's a 4.5in pulley

20190513_105004.jpg

13 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

I've had a few clients ask me about switching their cars from hydraulic to electric and after I put the numbers on paper it's better to stay with what you have.  There will be very little to no horsepower gains, let alone weight savings, which seems to be the two biggest reasons people want to switch.  If it was a new build then I would absolutely recommend going with electric, but retrofitting an existing car isn't very cost effective unless you're doing the work yourself.  There will be welding and fabrication for brackets and some wiring.

Not worried about more horsepower or weight.  I've got plenty of power and very light weight.  This is more of getting rid of things with fluid and looking for a more smoother feedback.  The belt thing just annoys me.

It's summer...looking for projects and stuff to do.  First summer home with the new car and looking for ways to make it "mine".

9 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

It's a brand new motor with lots of pressure.  The case blow off is right above that area and that's where the oil and sand come from.  Plus I haven't started to clean and prep for next season yet.

3 minutes ago, Mac said:

Not worried about more horsepower or weight.  I've got plenty of power and very light weight.  This is more of getting rid of things with fluid and looking for a more smoother feedback.  The belt thing just annoys me.

It's summer...looking for projects and stuff to do.  First summer home with the new car and looking for ways to make it "mine".

Good reasons right there.  Go for it.

Like previously stated, Hondarcr sells a complete setup, Harvey is a great guy and will help with you any issues or questions you have, he's just that kind of guy.

Posted (edited)

I have the 220w electric kit from Pacific Customs on my car and it has been trouble free for 4 years. It will steer with 1 finger while sitting still and has no steering wheel kickback when driving over terrain. My car presently has 8.80 tires up front but plan to install 10.50, I don't expect there to be much difference in steering feel. The steering unit has a built in thermal shutdown feature that never activates even when duning through tight technical stuff, the motor gets warm but never hot.  I am impressed with it's ability. 

Edited by fortyfour

I put a Hondarcr kit in my dads 2 seat alumicraft.  Thing is awesome.  Has the adjustable dial on it.  What steering rack do you have now?

When my buddy had his Funco built he tried to get them to install electric power steering.  They wouldn't do it and he was forced to go with hydraulic.