Mac

Power steering

10 hours ago, Mac said:

Not worried about more horsepower or weight.  I've got plenty of power and very light weight.  This is more of getting rid of things with fluid and looking for a more smoother feedback.  The belt thing just annoys me.

It's summer...looking for projects and stuff to do.  First summer home with the new car and looking for ways to make it "mine".

Had already planned on re-doing my entire front end this summer and adding EPS, looks like we will be doing two, SWEET!

I just installed the electric power steering kit on my car and what sold me on it  was that even if the unit went out... it still would steer like it did before I installed the unit. Got my stuff through ebay for cheap. Bought the adjustment dial and a special coupler from epowersteering. Man what a difference!

1 hour ago, dadscab said:

I just installed the electric power steering kit on my car and what sold me on it  was that even if the unit went out... it still would steer like it did before I installed the unit. Got my stuff through ebay for cheap. Bought the adjustment dial and a special coupler from epowersteering. Man what a difference!

not sure what unit at EpowerSteering ,  but it looked like Kartek was cheaper and more complete

Posted (edited)

for DIY most of all the links out there are the same (some guy did it to his Ford Falcon), but this one puts it all in one place and easy to figure out.
https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/wheels_and_brakes/toyota-electric-power-steering-eps-conversion/

I just went out and got a setup off an 09' Corolla for $50 at "picky your part" wrecking yard. Complete, motor, computer and shafts $50

If you ready the DIY's you'll notice the GM's must have the adjuster added but most of the import's do not. The imports are fixed because they don't get "CAN" bus signal and GM add-on adjuster provides the "VSS" signal it's looking for. The imports go into "limp mode" fixed electric assist after 5sec or so.

Also all the SxS's now have EPAS, you can get a unit from one of them, but I have no idea how they work with/without ECU's and what not...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1820-2017-16-17-18-Polaris-RZR-XP4-1000-EPS-Power-Steering-Box/312577494995?hash=item48c7120fd3:g:o2UAAOSwVVlcuI~m

Edited by DuneTrack-N

5 hours ago, J Alper said:

not sure what unit at EpowerSteering ,  but it looked like Kartek was cheaper and more complete

I got the main unit from ebay, the dial controller and coupler from epowersteering.  Totall cost was around 300$ with wiring, relay etc...

Posted (edited)

Isnt there a guy that sells the complete kit on here for fairly cheap. how well do these ones work

Edited by rpmsrup

1 minute ago, rpmsrup said:

Isnt there a guy that sells the complete kit on here for fairly cheap. how well do these ones work

Yes.  Harvey...

Its a GM model probably a good deal right?

Be careful which unit you buy, I accidentally got the Nascar kit and it wouldn't turn right.

Posted (edited)

I just built my new car without power steering because it’s not needed on a light car unless your a pussy.  The feel, resistance and control you have in slides and drifts is much better especially leading up to and around a bowl slide. Reducing the steering effort is the way to go on light cars. Ways to reduce that effort are by reducing the castor to as little as you can get away with.  A normal sized steering wheel gives a lot more leverage than a small wheel. The steering wheel makes a big difference. Another big and best  way to reduce  steering effort it is to get rid of the common 1:1 gear ratio steering racks that are in 99.9 percent of cars. Go with a 1:1.2  ratio box that reduces effort another 20%. Call Bob at RBP and ask him for a box with the right ratio in it. All these things add up to almost effortless steering while retaining ALL the feel and control that makes dunes fun. Those boxes also make high speed runs less twitchy to steering input.

http://www.rbpmfg.net/

Edited by stumpalump

11 minutes ago, stumpalump said:

I just built my new car without power steering because it’s not needed on a light car unless your a pussy.  The feel, resistance and control you have in slides and drifts is much better especially leading up to and around a bowl slide. Reducing the steering effort is the way to go on light cars. Ways to reduce that effort are by reducing the castor to as little as you can get away with.  A normal sized steering wheel gives a lot more leverage than a small wheel. The steering wheel makes a big difference. Another big and best  way to reduce  steering effort it is to get rid of the common 1:1 gear ratio steering racks that are in 99.9 percent of cars. Go with a 1:1.2  ratio box that reduces effort another 20%. Call Bob at RPB and ask him for a box with the right ratio in it. All these things add up to almost effortless steering while retaining ALL the feel and control that makes dunes fun. Those boxes also make high speed runs less twitchy to steering input.

Until you hit something and it rips it clean out of your hands.  Or it breaks your thumb.  I guess it would be fine if your just putting around, but not for a balls to the wall run.  I can only imagine what a minor witches eye would do to my car without the power steering.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stumpalump said:

I just built my new car without power steering because it’s not needed on a light car unless your a pussy.  The feel, resistance and control you have in slides and drifts is much better especially leading up to and around a bowl slide. Reducing the steering effort is the way to go on light cars. Ways to reduce that effort are by reducing the castor to as little as you can get away with.  A normal sized steering wheel gives a lot more leverage than a small wheel. The steering wheel makes a big difference. Another big and best  way to reduce  steering effort it is to get rid of the common 1:1 gear ratio steering racks that are in 99.9 percent of cars. Go with a 1:1.2  ratio box that reduces effort another 20%. Call Bob at RBP and ask him for a box with the right ratio in it. All these things add up to almost effortless steering while retaining ALL the feel and control that makes dunes fun. Those boxes also make high speed runs less twitchy to steering input.

Might not be needed...….but it makes for a way more enjoyable drive. To each his own.

My car is pretty light...……….am I a pussy?

Mac's car probably weighs less then mine...…...pussy?

Edited by spize909

43 minutes ago, spize909 said:

Might not be needed...….but it makes for a way more enjoyable drive. To each his own.

My car is pretty light...……….am I a pussy?

Mac's car probably weighs less then mine...…...pussy?

I knew that would get somebodies attention. Lol.   

2 hours ago, stumpalump said:

Dont knock it till you tried it. I would never go back.

On 5/14/2019 at 3:53 PM, dadscab said:

I got the main unit from ebay, the dial controller and coupler from epowersteering.  Totall cost was around 300$ with wiring, relay etc...

Is the electronic control box water proof?  I had a buddy that went with a cheaper unit, got caught in a rain storm and ruined it.  

You will like it.  After having the steering wheel yanked out of my hand twice, these are awesome.  Never thought I would say that!  

If you just want to get rid of the pump on the engine you could try switching to something like Volvo's electric power steering.  It would still use your hydraulic system just not the pump on the engine.  They look similar to the one pictured below.  I think they came on C30  2008-2013, C70  2006-2013, S40  2005-2011, V50  2005-2011.  You can find used on Ebay for $150-$200.  I think new maybe too expensive to justify.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

1 hour ago, budlight69 said:

Is the electronic control box water proof?  I had a buddy that went with a cheaper unit, got caught in a rain storm and ruined it.  

You will like it.  After having the steering wheel yanked out of my hand twice, these are awesome.  Never thought I would say that!  

I was worried about that as well so I sealed it up . I don't think its a cheaper unit per say....But if money was no option I would have spent it on a kit. My friend got one from hndarcr and loves it.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, stumpalump said:

I knew that would get somebodies attention. Lol.   

So you are confirming that Mac is indeed........a pussy?

Edited by spize909

11 hours ago, spize909 said:

So you are confirming that Mac is indeed........a pussy?

No but since you guys are dwelling on the mere attention grabbing word you are starting to make me wonder.....

17 hours ago, Richardm140 said:

If you just want to get rid of the pump on the engine you could try switching to something like Volvo's electric power steering.  It would still use your hydraulic system just not the pump on the engine.  They look similar to the one pictured below.  I think they came on C30  2008-2013, C70  2006-2013, S40  2005-2011, V50  2005-2011.  You can find used on Ebay for $150-$200.  I think new maybe too expensive to justify.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Toyota electric power pump from the MR2's
https://www.ebay.com/itm/00-06-Toyota-MR2-Spyder-OEM-Electric-Power-Steering-Pump/183794884303?fits=Model%3AMR2+Spyder|Make%3AToyota&epid=22026418359&hash=item2acb075ecf:g:E3wAAOSwvcFb-v6l

Nissan electric power pump
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20015-16-Nissan-Altima-Electric-Power-Steering-Pump-Assembly-491105AA0B/323793732921?_trkparms=aid%3D555021%26algo%3DPL.SIMRVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D56425%26meid%3D3e11df6cadf94145a7e64db29c1f968b%26pid%3D100047%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D16%26sd%3D183794884303%26itm%3D323793732921&_trksid=p2047675.c100047.m2108

Dodge/Jeep
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2013-Power-Electric-Steering-Pump-Dodge-Durango-3-6L-Genuine-OEM/153474033680?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57475%26meid%3Deeb1ea5306724c90abda1f375130e889%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D323793732921%26itm%3D153474033680&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Many options for these style pumps, but do they provide enough pressure/flow??????

1 hour ago, DuneTrack-N said:

Many options for these style pumps, but do they provide enough pressure/flow??????

That's a good question.  Obviously it is enough for each respective vehicle, most of which probably have heavier front ends than most sand rails.  

If someone was really interested, I would contact their power rack manufacturer to find their requirements.  Then get the specs for the pump being considered.