Mac

Power steering

What are the pros and cons of hydraulic power steering versus electronic power steering?

I currently have hydraulic power steering and I'm thinking of converting it over to electronic.  The physical swap over, wiring, fab, etc...I'm not worried about.  I'm looking for "is hydraulic better?" "Is electronic better?"  "Are they the same and it's just personal preference?"

Thanks for the input.

I think it depends on the size, car and motor 

the larger cars like my prerunner dd, I think would break the gears out in the electric, the Charlynne has been a solid unit, my ram style starts to leak about every 5 years and needs going into, also have seen power steering pump issues and running lines in the car, 

if you have a smaller car the electric is a easy way to go, no lines no mounting on the motor, just looks bulky unless covered by a hood 

1 minute ago, J Alper said:

the larger cars like my prerunner dd, I think would break the gears out in the electric, the Charlynne has been a solid unit, my ram style starts to leak about every 5 years and needs going into, also have seen power steering pump issues and running lines in the car, 

if you have a smaller car the electric is a easy way to go, no lines no mounting on the motor, just looks bulky unless covered by a hood 

I have a SU Ultra light 2 seat mid-engine.  I don't see weight being an issue.  I believe it's the pump putting a load on the belt when I start up cold and it squeals horribly until it warms up.  Just looking for options to get rid of that squeal.

I plan to put a hood and dash on it this summer so that will cover it up.

Squeal comes from Sand eating the belt.I replace mine at least once a season because the squeak on startup is embarrassing!! I got hydraulic before electric came out, otherwise I would have electric power steering. I have seen  electric used in 6100 trucks 7200 trucks and even 39" tires so I think the gear issue has been figured out.

between being worried about the age of the high pressure lines running from the pump to the  steering rack inside my car by my kids legs, or the leaking reservoir dripping on the headers possibly starting a fire, or having to check the fluid level all the time it's a pain in the ass having hydraulic imo.

1 minute ago, 2turbofords said:

Squeal comes from Sand eating the belt.I replace mine at least once a season because the squeak on startup is embarrassing!! I got hydraulic before electric came out, otherwise I would have electric power steering. I have seen  electric used in 6100 trucks 7200 trucks and even 39" tires so I think the gear issue has been figured out.

between being worried about the age of the high pressure lines running from the pump to the  steering rack inside my car by my kids legs, or the leaking reservoir dripping on the headers possibly starting a fire, or having to check the fluid level all the time it's a pain in the ass having hydraulic imo.

I have a brand new belt.  It still squeals.

For the same reasons you mentioned is why I'm considering converting it over.  I have a HOWE/Charlynne system now.

Post a pic of your belt/pulley system. Maybe your PS pulley is to small.

I have electric on my two seat alumicraft and love it.  Car weighs round 2k and has 35's.  No problems after 4 years

It's a 4.5in pulley

20190513_105004.jpg

2 minutes ago, Lambro said:

I have electric on my two seat alumicraft and love it.  Car weighs round 2k and has 35's.  No problems after 4 years

My car is 1400# and I run 35s as well.

2 minutes ago, Mac said:

It's a 4.5in pulley

20190513_105004.jpg

Looks like it has 4 ribs? I see you don't have much room for a bigger pulley which is more contact area. Still a maybe though. How about a 6 rib system?

Are you positive the power steering pulley is what is squealing and not the Alternator? My car it's the alternator that makes the squealing, usually when cold. A couple quick revs and it stops

Just now, SANDPSYCHO said:

Are you positive the power steering pulley is what is squealing and not the Alternator? My car it's the alternator that makes the squealing, usually when cold. A couple quick revs and it stops

I have considered that as well.  It's so loud, you can't really isolate it.

Mine takes up to 2 plus minutes to stop sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Air450 said:

Looks like it has 4 ribs? I see you don't have much room for a bigger pulley which is more contact area. Still a maybe though. How about a 6 rib system?

Yes, it's a 4 rib

Just now, Mac said:

Yes and its annoying AF while having morning bowls :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Air450 said:

Don't believe he can go 6 rib as the subi crank is 4

4 minutes ago, GlamisGreengo said:

Better Solution:

Leave that Jackazz at camp!

:lmao:

:poule:

Bigger pulley's on both might stop it. Try this test. Heat up one of the pulley's with a torch or heat gun, or ? and then start it. That might help isolate it.

I remember when my alt was on its way out my car squealed a bit at start up due to drop in voltage.  Maybe we can run one of my belts that doesn't have P/S and see if we find the exact problem?  That would eliminate the alternator at least...

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Mac said:

What are the pros and cons of hydraulic power steering versus electronic power steering?

I currently have hydraulic power steering and I'm thinking of converting it over to electronic.  The physical swap over, wiring, fab, etc...I'm not worried about.  I'm looking for "is hydraulic better?" "Is electronic better?"  "Are they the same and it's just personal preference?"

Thanks for the input.

You lose some steering feel with E-assist, other than that, the advantages of E-assist in a buggy greatly outweigh the hot oil bath waiting to happen that is hydraulic.  For street cars, I still prefer the feedback you get from hydraulic power steering, but I've got a hood and firewall to protect me there. :bigrin 

57 minutes ago, J Alper said:

Everyone single one I've seen is a through-shaft with a  gear or belt to add assist. 

57_95d3d0a8-d063-4e47-b45d-4cf2c4ad8d45_

Even if it broke, you'd still have steering.  That said, as long as the gear is rated for the power of the E-assist motor, this is a non-issue as anything overpowering the steering would just spin the motor "backwards".  Either way, I'd guess that your DD has less front axle weight (~1900lbs) and bumpsteer (and certainly less torque-steer) than a Chevy Cobalt did, where most of these kits come from.  Those had no problem 1-finger turning 10" wide flat-profiled R-compound gumball tires with a limited-slip lock to lock on asphalt when parked.  Ford also uses it on their F-150 if you really need a stronger motor, but since an F-150's front axle weight is probably more than your entire car, I doubt it.

As long as you get an OEM-based unit, I wouldn't worry about breaking.  Something like total steering failure and class action lawsuits means the designs are pretty damned robust. :bigrin 

Edited by Rockwood

7 minutes ago, Mac said:

That is what mine does. I'd bet it's you altinator. You could remove the wires going to the altinator so it just free spins. Then start the car so it will be running on just the battery to see it the squeal stops.

What Dbart said.  Electric.  I have seen the hoses rupture.  One shot far enough to get the car behind him next in line!  Just not having to deal with hoses, a belt, and more fluid is plenty to sway to the electric.

50 minutes ago, GlamisGreengo said:

Thought it said Bowels......

Convert to eps!

why would it not squeal?

if you look at the ls1 belt line they almost have 75% wrap around every 6 rib drive pulley

if the bracket was refabed to add a idler pulley between the power steering and the balancer, than that would fix the squealing issue,  

you could probably pick up 7-10 horsepower,eliminate 10 lbs by taking off the hydraulic steering as well as eliminate your squeak. Sounds like an easy decision.