Got turned around bass ackwards at Johnson Valley today. came out  of a valley and no clue where we were. Could have done a 180 back the way we came - where's the fun in that? Wife pointed off into the distance - Go There . At least there were homes in that direction. Asked directions from a gentleman that was home. Wife was right. We were about 10/15 miles away from where we started.

so what  is a decent cost effective GPS ? Thinking I may need a roof antenna for signal. Have room on the dash for mounting screen.

I have always run Lowrance GPS's in my personal cars and the teams race cars.  I currently have three Lowrance HDS units right now and they have an internal antenna.  An external antenna is an option but I've never had a problem getting a signal unless I'm in my garage at home.  @RallyAlleigh at PCI can set you up with whatever you need.  

Posted (edited)

I have the Magellan trx7  I got thru rugged...some people hate them....and will let you know.....its a very easy to  use gps for people who don't want to spend a ton of time learning how to use it. It has all the trails I need, used it in Moab, and Idaho, and Arizona, etc....it works ok on the road as well to get you to where you need to be.

You will find cheaper alternatives, and more expensive, it depends on how much energy you want to put into the task. My buddy just did all the tablet vs. Lowrance etc research and for him the Magellan was the best overall choice....

I like mine because I can use it to get me from my house, to the trails in big bear and then back home when I'm done....

I also have like 5 hand helds that work great to keep you from getting lost.....or at least get you back to camp.  My garmin gecko was the easiest for that...just hit go to and the arrow told you what way to turn in glamis....actually worked great for  a cheap gps.  Never got lost.

Edited by realbadlarry

I have had Magellan and Garmin handhelds...hated them and never used them.  My new car came with a Lowrance and initially said it would be the first thing to go.  I used it once and man...it's awesome.  Very easy to use, easy to read.  I highly recommend Lowrance for sure.

I have a Lawrance and also have the LeadNav gps app on my phone and iPad and both are awesome I wouldn’t use anything else.

I have the Lowrance elite 7ti and really like it. It is simple to use and easy to see and I am just using the internal antenna. 

20190117_152832.jpg

I'm using a Garmin nuvi that I got off offer up for $20.

It doesn't have off road trails but you can input gps coordinates and save waypoints, etc.  Easy off road navigation, just follow the arrow.

Cheap, effective, reliable. 

20190210_151213.jpg

49 minutes ago, punkur67 said:

I have the Lowrance elite 7ti and really like it. It is simple to use and easy to see and I am just using the internal antenna. 

20190117_152832.jpg

I had no idea that some people had a GPS screen as their central console display.  That is pretty cool!   It at least will help me to keep it in mind as an option going forward, possibly in some future vehicle.

The only way to go.

Jasons phone 424.jpg

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

I had no idea that some people had a GPS screen as their central console display.  That is pretty cool!   It at least will help me to keep it in mind as an option going forward, possibly in some future vehicle.

I run the Shocker style- two in the front and one in the back. 

20190513_223026.jpg

The small HDS5 is angled toward the drivers seat for easier viewing.  The HDS10 is reachable while the passenger is strapped in.

20190513_223034.jpg

The one in the backseat is for whoever's back there. I've spent thousands of miles prerunning and when I'm in the back seat  not running my section it's actually boring. So I added something to do back there.

Edited by L.R.S.

5 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

The small HDS5 is angled toward the drivers seat for easier viewing.  The HDS10 is reachable while the passenger is strapped in.

The one in the backseat is for whoever's back there. I've spent thousands of miles prerunning and when I'm in the back seat  of running my section it's actually boring. So I added something to do back there.

Thanks for the photos and info.  I had no idea this kind of technology was in use so extensively.  I said "some future vehicle" in my previous post because I don't see myself driving the longest distances in my Maverick, but I'm going to rethink this and do research on GPS units for my SxS.  This kind of technology gets me way more excited than things like a windshield, roof, and stereo system.  Regarding your "thousands of miles" comment, I better get to it and drive more miles.  I think I'm going to really turn up the volume on my trips next season.

I've got 2 Lowrance 5" units, one in each vehicle. At the time, they were pretty expensive and anything larger was crazy expensive. They've come way down in price. I'd recommend finding a used 5" or 7" unit.

I use an Ipad in my new jeep and can't say I recommend it. It works but I have to jack around with it a lot more than I ever did the Baja 540c that was in my old jeep.

Motion X on the iPhone.  been using it 4-5 years now.  I think its like $4 in the app store.  Its always with me and 100% of the time it works every time.  Its already your phone, camera, and music device.  Why not your gps also?

1 hour ago, ehall said:

I use an Ipad in my new jeep and can't say I recommend it. It works but I have to jack around with it a lot more than I ever did the Baja 540c that was in my old jeep.

I agree that the iPad was not as good as my lowrance. I will not be going back to an iPad. I had leadnav.

20161228_213638.jpg

Couple of options;

1st do you have a spare tablet or phone? if so can you get the Magellan TRX or Polaris ride command app to load? if not got to next option
2nd is the devices like shown above

Lowrance will be most available and used in the offroad community, they have tons of models and it's hard to figure out which one might work for you. So review and call companies like PCI for a better knowledge base
          Magellan TRX is the next one they have 4-5 models
          TrailTech also had a unit the Voyager PRO
3rd buy a new tablet and pay for an app

GPS setup and training is where all of them fail, you'll need to learn and test your skills on usage.

On my iPhone I have 10 GPS apps all free to date, I'm a cheap bastard.... Magellan TRX, Polaris RideCommand, AllTrails, Owlshead GPS, Discover Johnson Valley, Friends of Jawbone, Relive, Gaia GPS, Avenza Maps, & CA OHV trails. Guess what I use my Lowrance Maps and Music 2" screen 99% of the time.

1 hour ago, r3meyer said:

Motion X on the iPhone.  been using it 4-5 years now.  I think its like $4 in the app store.  Its always with me and 100% of the time it works every time.  Its already your phone, camera, and music device.  Why not your gps also?

Because it seems like when you need it the most, that's when you find out someone else ran your battery down listening to music, or your wife swiped your charger last night after you plugged it in and it never charged, or you lost your phone and now you can't call anyone, can't find your way back and don't have any tunes. I know a lot of people like to get multiple uses out of one device, but I like to have a backup for the backup. 

I'm not saying Murphy's Law runs everyone's life, but look how many phones get lost or found in Glamis. 

11 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

Thanks for the photos and info.  I had no idea this kind of technology was in use so extensively.  I said "some future vehicle" in my previous post because I don't see myself driving the longest distances in my Maverick, but I'm going to rethink this and do research on GPS units for my SxS.  This kind of technology gets me way more excited than things like a windshield, roof, and stereo system.  Regarding your "thousands of miles" comment, I better get to it and drive more miles.  I think I'm going to really turn up the volume on my trips next season.

Lowrance units are all over eBay and I've bought several of them over the years.   A lot of sellers list them as 'fish finders' which doesn't mean that's all they do.  They come mostly from boat guys that are upgrading to the newest models.  A lot of off-roaders like using an iPad or old phone with whatever app because they're dual purpose but I like to just have the Lowrance unit mounted in my car and not worry about making sure it's packed, charged, etc.

1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

Because it seems like when you need it the most, that's when you find out someone else ran your battery down listening to music, or your wife swiped your charger last night after you plugged it in and it never charged, or you lost your phone and now you can't call anyone, can't find your way back and don't have any tunes. I know a lot of people like to get multiple uses out of one device, but I like to have a backup for the backup. 

I'm not saying Murphy's Law runs everyone's life, but look how many phones get lost or found in Glamis. 

My issue was the screen was difficult to see during the day, the battery died quickly, and the maps needed to be downloaded. 

Thank you everyone for all of the information. Looked at a lot of units and decided to buy a  Magellan trx7. The main reason for that unit was the focus on OHV that it has. Not a fan of configuring devices and software. Figured this one was pretty much plug and play.

My main focus is to be able to keep track of where we are and which direction to get back to camp.  

Again - thanks for all suggestions.

20 minutes ago, dbatman said:

Thank you everyone for all of the information. Looked at a lot of units and decided to buy a  Magellan trx7. The main reason for that unit was the focus on OHV that it has. Not a fan of configuring devices and software. Figured this one was pretty much plug and play.

My main focus is to be able to keep track of where we are and which direction to get back to camp.  

Again - thanks for all suggestions.

You made a wise choice.  The Magellan TRX7 is a great GPS unit and super easy to use.  Also you can download trails/maps of routes from the website.

I have a Lowrance Elite 5ti which works great, just have to remember to insert the right SDMI card or you get a very basic map.  

8 hours ago, socaldmax said:

Ok.  Well here is a few more things to think about.

My phone wirelessly charges.  The mount in my truck, rail, moho all have electronic fast charge mounts.  It starts charging and syncs up and starts playing music.  If my phone disappears then my music stops.  I have a pile of old electronic devices that are no longer useful for anything other than a door stop.  One of those was an expensive Garmin watch.  My phone when I am done with it will be sold and upgraded to the next best thing.  The app I am running on it will carry on with me regardless of what I am driving in or where I am doing it.  I am on my 4th phone since I started to use Motion X years ago.  I almost have it all glamis all colored in LOL.

That being said I do like the lawrence my buddy has.  I changed his Icon to a boat and he can't figure out how to change it back.

IMG_0277.PNG

21 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

20190513_223026.jpg

20190513_223034.jpg

The one in the backseat is for whoever's back there. I've spent thousands of miles prerunning and when I'm in the back seat  not running my section it's actually boring. So I added something to do back there.

Show off!

12 minutes ago, punkur67 said:

Show off!

Step up our game!

eBay Lowrance