1newbie

Anyone own a newer Escalade?

So I bought my wife a 2017 Escalade to drive the kids around.  It was close to $100k new.  Anyone else having maintenance problems?  Stock tires are bald at 20k miles.  Brakes are shot and squeal when you apply them.  None of my GM trucks have this problem and the Escalade is definitely NOT driven hard.  My '01 GMC dually went 133k on first set of brakes and that was towing bobcats, backhoes, etc. daily...……...

Posted (edited)

No on the Escalade, but bought about 10 brand new chevy trucks for work and ALL of them needed tires and breaks before 20k miles

Edited by bajabug44

I was getting ready to buy one for the wife but after reviews such as yours, we decided to wait.  Sorry to hear you're having these issues.

#lexus4life

Have stock tires and brakes on mine 2017 has 32k miles no issues

Had to replace the shocks on my dads escalade at 10k miles

It’s a hit or miss with these!!!, my wife’s is a rattle trap!. Chrome rims are peeling but got 60+Miles out of the Bridgestone.....

After 2007 GM changed the material on their brake pads and they last significantly less now. Had a 2004.5 GMC 2500 that went 180k with stock pads and still had life left in them. We have a 2016 suburban with 30k miles and have already done the front brakes and replaced the tires.  I have never had good luck with stock tires on new vehicles... I think their treadwear ratings are extremely low compared to the same make/model tires purchased aftermarket. I’d be upset if the suburban was that expensive and I was already doing maintenance.... heck, I’m annoyed doing anything with my LS Suburban this early on, but they are extremely reliable from what I understand. Time will tell! In other news, just purchased a 2019 Toyota 4Runner so I’m anxious to see if she lives up to the hype of longevity that follows them!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shiggins37 said:

After 2007 GM changed the material on their brake pads and they last significantly less now. Had a 2004.5 GMC 2500 that went 180k with stock pads and still had life left in them. We have a 2016 suburban with 30k miles and have already done the front brakes and replaced the tires.  I have never had good luck with stock tires on new vehicles... I think their treadwear ratings are extremely low compared to the same make/model tires purchased aftermarket. I’d be upset if the suburban was that expensive and I was already doing maintenance.... heck, I’m annoyed doing anything with my LS Suburban this early on, but they are extremely reliable from what I understand. Time will tell! In other news, just purchased a 2019 Toyota 4Runner so I’m anxious to see if she lives up to the hype of longevity that follows them!

How do you like the 4Runner for size, my wife has never liked how big the Escalade ESV is. I like driving it and it fits my 6 grandkids. She thinks the 4Runner is going to be the same size to drive and park. 

She not easy on the brakes either. 

Edited by cola

2016 Tahoe LTZ  bought new now has 33k miles  still on stock tires and brakes no issues, ....... wondering if maybe the tire wear and brakes are due to driving style? Launching a every light/stop and hard braking at every light/stop?

Some random thoughts from a guy who sees a dozen of them a day at the dealer...

We do see tire wear up front, usually on the inside edges. First, a wheel alignment performed by a competent tech who will not only set your toe-in but will actually adjust the camber to near 0 degrees like it should be. Most of the Suburbans, Tahoes, Yukons and Escalades we set up on the alignment machine have very low camber in the front which needs to be corrected. Ask to see the before and after alignment printouts, they aren't hard to decipher. 

You will more than likely need to rotate your tires more often than every 6,000 miles like the owners manual says, and keep them inflated to what the label on the drivers door jamb says. If the driver routinely takes corners at speed you will cut your tire life in half. It's ok to admit that your spouse does this, I'm married too. 

We also see worn brakes but more often than not it is on vehicles that are clearly not well taken care of. The majority of the large SUVs will get quite a few miles from the brake lining. The finish of the brake rotors is also of paramount importance, a cut from a lathe with worn cutters will look like a record and you will never get the stopping power from this as compared to a new rotor. Most of the time the rotors will not need to be resurfaced, General Motors actually does not recommend it unless there is scoring in excess of .060". If you have vibrations when you brake the rotors have excessive thickness variation (they are not warped) likely caused from improper previous brake service and/or improper wheel nut torque. The brake rotors on most GM vehicles built in the last 15 years have a surface finish that is carburized and is very hard, the rotor runout tolerance is only .001" so it is important to remove any rust from the hub flange when installing rotors. Needless to say 7 out of 10 techs do not know how to properly service disc brakes, they may think they do but they don't. This type of repair should require a license. 

Keep your fluids clean and fresh, all of them. And if your vehicle has high pressure direct injection, it is a good idea to have a fuel system service done at least every 50,000 miles. There is no fuel sprayed onto the backside of the intake valves so they get layer upon layer of burnt oil vapor which will eventually causes the valve to hang open and cause a misfire. I literally see this almost daily. There are certain chemicals available to the dealer which will correct this when administered in the right dosage and method. The bottle of cleaner you add to your fuel tank does nothing so save your money. 

Your trans fluid needs to be changed at least every 50,000 miles. If your vehicle has an 8 speed it requires Mobil1 fully synthetic ATF. 

Oiled K+N filters and "cold air intakes" have no place in late model GM vehicles. Them sonsofbitches have caused me so much grief while trying to determine why your engine doesn't run right I won't hardly even work on a vehicle that has them anymore. Cold air intake??? Yeah right! Leave those for the kids with Hondas your 6.2l doesn't need it. 

If you have a 2015 or newer SUV and you have noticed your a/c isn't as cold as it once was, it may have a leak at the condenser. A lot of these vehicles (but not all) have a special policy that will cover the condenser replacement beyond the base warranty.

Anyways, I could go on and on about this stuff. Don't shovel your full sized GM SUVs onto the trash heap because you think it is POS, it might be something you have or haven't done that created your problems. These late model SUVs are absolutely the best engineered and most trouble free trucks I have worked on in the last 30 years. 

:soap:

Thanks for all the info Fortyfour! We absolutely love our suburban... wouldn’t trade it for anything else. We have a large family and it’s the only thing short of a 15 passenger van that could haul us and all our junk around. It drives like a dream, gets pretty decent mileage for a 6k lb vehicle, and looks good doing it! I wouldn’t tell anybody to shy away from them. We had a Yukon prior and only got the suburban cause we needed the cargo space of the suburban. 

shoot Mom was looking at 16-19 Escalade, I said by a 4 door GMC, maybe she will listen