Jump to content
bacr

Looking for a quad

Recommended Posts

I have not been off roading for over 8 years and use to ride a KFX 400 and LTR 450 and looking to get another quad but not to sure what to get.  I understand a lot of people have there preferred brands but I do want to hear from all and why they think one brand is better then the other, also, I want to hear about the ones to stay far away from.   Hope to hear some good input thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have 2 Suzuki Z-400 that were bought new in 07. Always run , never any issues. Grand son learned to ride on them when he was about 10. These may not be the cutting edge of quads but they are dead reliable. Oil and filters changed about every 3 trips out. Valves checked last year and did not need adjustment.

they have endured riders of many skill levels with 0 issues. They get  a 2 thumbs up from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KTM 525 xc......... great suspension.....motor is solid....  I miss mine. :sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, realbadlarry said:

KTM 525 xc......... great suspension.....motor is solid....  I miss mine. :sad:

Great bike, but hard to find now a days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to know your age height and weight. I want to know how physical you want to get. Will you be riding mostly sitting or standing?? This will tell me a lot to either go yfz450 or just do the raptor700 for plush everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The YFZ450R is hard to beat, but it takes a rider to make it dance.  The 700 is fast but it is a lazy ride.  put it in 3rd gear and just lug it around she is going to do the same dance weather its an aggressive rider or a passive one.

The KTM's are nice and you will pay the price :makerain: to throw a leg over one

The TRX's out of the box are not as quick as the YFZ450R but they ride a lot softer and don's have to be pushed as hard to get a good ride.

 

If you liked the LTR450 you will like the YFZ450R only get the R don't get the X .  Also make sure it is an R the R's have the wider stance and aluminum frames if it isn't a aluminum frame it is not an R.

Should be able to find one that is a couple years old stock and unmolested for under $4K I wouldn't pay much more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all of the input.  I have been leaning to Yamaha at this point.  Chingon I am 54 years old 5ft9 175 lbs I ride standing up and aggressive, when needed and had no problem throwing my weight when needed.  Eight years later not sure how I will ride now.     I do want a little more plush ride so almost sound like the raptor would be my best choice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bacr said:

Thanks for all of the input.  I have been leaning to Yamaha at this point.  Chingon I am 54 years old 5ft9 175 lbs I ride standing up and aggressive, when needed and had no problem throwing my weight when needed.  Eight years later not sure how I will ride now.     I do want a little more plush ride so almost sound like the raptor would be my best choice.  

Yea, sounds like Raptor to me. I'm the same as you except 1 inch taller (hey, it counts) same weight and about 13 years younger. Even I, the stud I am lol, find myself loving the Raptor way much more than the 450. Al be it, I bought used and carb models which are 03 Rappy 660 and 05 yfz450 (for me and wifey). If we are going to get crazy like a fast run to the hill almost racing, I grab the 450. If I want to dune all day with a smile it's the Rappy. All day long. Sure it doesn't help when the Rappy has suspension and some nice mods which the 450 can also benefit from to make it more enjoyable but I'm sure the 450 will beat me up way faster than the Raptor. Actually found myself having a hard time keeping up with the Raptors once when I was on the 450 on a somewhat fast run through the dunes. I only put my much bigger cousin on the Raptor that run since I thought it was the right thing to do. Big mistake, I couldn't get him off of that thing! I couldn't wait to get back on it. Verdict is in I guess, the wifey keeps the 450 lol and I will not ever let her try the Rappy. Hahahaaa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL well thanks for all of the input so looks like I need to find me a raptor with mods if possible in my price range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m 57 same size as you guys , love my Raptor, I really like the torque for big climbs like Choke Cherry , nice plush ride or tighten up compression a bit and go pound it

CBD30006-B8B6-4FD4-8A13-A1D815EFB055.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At your age and lack of riding for the last 8 yrs I would try to talk you into a SxS. If that isn't an option then I would go with the Raptor as others have suggested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd take a little less off season. I don't think you'll find more for the $.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a raptor 700 I’ll sell really cheap. Text me if interested.  I’m close to you in

 Poway. 980 253 2621

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chingon619 said:

Yea, sounds like Raptor to me. I'm the same as you except 1 inch taller (hey, it counts) same weight and about 13 years younger. Even I, the stud I am lol, find myself loving the Raptor way much more than the 450. Al be it, I bought used and carb models which are 03 Rappy 660 and 05 yfz450 (for me and wifey). If we are going to get crazy like a fast run to the hill almost racing, I grab the 450. If I want to dune all day with a smile it's the Rappy. All day long. Sure it doesn't help when the Rappy has suspension and some nice mods which the 450 can also benefit from to make it more enjoyable but I'm sure the 450 will beat me up way faster than the Raptor. Actually found myself having a hard time keeping up with the Raptors once when I was on the 450 on a somewhat fast run through the dunes. I only put my much bigger cousin on the Raptor that run since I thought it was the right thing to do. Big mistake, I couldn't get him off of that thing! I couldn't wait to get back on it. Verdict is in I guess, the wifey keeps the 450 lol and I will not ever let her try the Rappy. Hahahaaa.

03 Raptor and a 05 YFZ,  Those bikes are old school and ride like tanks compared to the new wider, lighter and more powerful bikes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MWB said:

03 Raptor and a 05 YFZ,  Those bikes are old school and ride like tanks compared to the new wider, lighter and more powerful bikes. 

Yea, that's what I'm imagining. This is why I made clear what (carb) machines I was talking about. I actually rode a 700R and didn't see a big difference, at least that's what my wallet was saying anyway. I'm not an expert but the op asked for opinions. I do believe going fuel injected and R models are best, just not for me. I paid $2300 for my Raptor and $2700 for my 450 which at the time you can practically eat off of. I think A 700R would be twice as much for similar fun. I didn't want to pay up on them as they are just camp toys but I do love to ride them. Mostly the Raptor as it's dialed in and eats anything you throw at it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You get beat up pretty bad in the dunes on a quad nowadays (didn't help that the dunes were wet for 3 months)...…..not an old man's sport anymore.

F'ing SxSs have tracks and ruts going every which way. You're better off if you stay out of the more heavily traveled areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.