bigjoe619

Anyone ever ride in Big Bear?

Looking to do a little trail ride and a few of my partners want to head up to Big Bear next weekend, Any recommendations on trails ?

We will be staying about 20 mins from Cactus Flats ohv.   Thanks in advance.

Jeeping? 🙋🏽‍♂️

Stayed at Cactus flats...sxs's. Some cool trails. Summertime gets SUPER dusty.

Here's some pics... 

IMG_20150606_134656186.jpg

IMG_20150606_143833784.jpg

IMG_20150606_115104269.jpg

IMG_20150606_120332099.jpg

Cactus Flats Dust.jpg

Cactus Flats-2015 Windmil.jpg

Great pics @dbart

It is actually a lot of fun!!  Get your pass and enjoy!!! :thumbup:

Great riding area. Be considerate of home owners and ranches. 

Following!

Are there RV campgrounds or Hotels/ Motels where you can just ride from there and  do not need to drive and unload toys to ride?

46 minutes ago, sinverguenza said:

Following!

Are there RV campgrounds or Hotels/ Motels where you can just ride from there and  do not need to drive and unload toys to ride?

Not that I know of.

I have only been there once and we stayed at Cactus Flats.

If you have jeeps...I'm sure there are motels in Big Bear you could stay or even Arrowhead.

There are trails all over there if you are street legal.

Not quite Big Bear but if you're near Cactus Flats then you must do Rattlesnake Canyon and TipTop Mountain. Views are astounding from up there and the canyon is amazing as well. Lots of exploring to be done in the area. Dinner at Pappy and Harriett's ain't too bad either if you don't mind commingling amoungst Bikers, Cowboys,  Douchebag Hippsters, EuroTrash, and filthy Hippies. They feel the same way about us off-road types so it's kind of a peaceful coexistence with dirty looks passed back and forth.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, aceisback said:

Not quite Big Bear but if you're near Cactus Flats then you must do Rattlesnake Canyon and TipTop Mountain. Views are astounding from up there and the canyon is amazing as well. Lots of exploring to be done in the area. Dinner at Pappy and Harriett's ain't too bad either if you don't mind commingling amoungst Bikers, Cowboys,  Douchebag Hippsters, EuroTrash, and filthy Hippies. They feel the same way about us off-road types so it's kind of a peaceful coexistence with dirty looks passed back and forth.

Sounds cool!

Do you have to be street legal to do those or is sxs ok?

Edited by dbart

19 minutes ago, aceisback said:

Wow after that sociological description, I can't wait to go!!  Honestly, that seriously made this jump up on my to-do list.

BLM land except for Pappy's. It's in Pioneer town. Used to be able to go there from Cactus Flats but there is a new Ranger up in the area and he really enforces the OHV on paved roadways issue.

Cabin is reserved for next weekend. we have 5 sxs in the group and we mostly only ride Glamis so we will see what we get into..

21 minutes ago, bigjoe619 said:

Cabin is reserved for next weekend. we have 5 sxs in the group and we mostly only ride Glamis so we will see what we get into..

Have fun and be safe.

Will be waiting for pics and a trip report. 

there's also a place called miller canyon staging area we used to ride from there up I believe it cactus flats in side by sides . make sure you get a trail map . the trials are marked very well like 2n34 type loots of great technical stuff too  

Thank you everyone. I imagine with this weather it will be a muddy wet ride.

From yesterday’s wheeling adventure in bear. 

C401C84F-B60C-4BCA-88C6-E7E5A3E8D05E.jpeg

On 5/17/2019 at 10:40 AM, dbart said:

Sounds cool!

Do you have to be street legal to do those or is sxs ok?

Street legal to get into Pioneer town.     

:wwp:

Please post pictures and your experience, the area in Big Bear and surrounding area isn't what it used to be 20 years ago (Holcomb Valley) for most OHV....but there is a ton of area for Jeeps / Street legal 4x4.

Great part of the SoCal High Dez...

No updates on this thread where are the pictures and the write up 

Well, we did dishpan springs twice in two weeks...last Sat in Arrowhead...the CHP pulled into the gas station just to tell us that if he saw us again without our lights above our headlights covered...he was gonna write us up....Well thank you Diackwad........Had a great time....ordered some covers off fleabay.....that's the only place I'll ever need them.