Posted (edited)

Looks like it would be worth a shot for the price! 

nope

Still happy with red line cv 2 grease. 

I would want to check the technical data sheet on it first to check what ratios the grease are mixed at. 

Bel ray is pricey. I would be surprised if this mixture has much bel ray in it at this price point  

I am going to do some more checking. Maybe call Swepco. 

1 hour ago, lincster said:

I would want to check the technical data sheet on it first to check what ratios the grease are mixed at. 

Bel ray is pricey. I would be surprised if this mixture has much bel ray in it at this price point  

I am going to do some more checking. Maybe call Swepco. 

I don’t think Swepco actually mixed in Belray.  I assume it’s their own concoction.  

Bel-Ray, like other exotic lubricants is grossly overpriced. I  bought a few tubes of premixed Bel-Ray and Swepco from Foddrills and wasn't all that impressed with it, seems like it didn't do anything more than straight Swepco has done.

Swepco is around $14/tube and BelRay is about $40/tube. 2 of Swepco and 1 of BelRay is less then $100 per season for CV grease. If that is killing your sand budget it may be time to find another hooby. 

I don't use those two products because they're expensive or cheap. I use them based on 10 years of racing Class 1 and thousands of miles of prerunning. There may be a better product out there but I go with what I know.

Killing my sand budget and finding another hobby? Where did that come from? I never said anything regarding these products killing my sand budget. I did say Bel-Ray was grossly overpriced, and that I used the mix and didn't see anything different than what straight Swepco does. 

19 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

Killing my sand budget and finding another hobby? Where did that come from? I never said anything regarding these products killing my sand budget. I did say Bel-Ray was grossly overpriced, and that I used the mix and didn't see anything different than what straight Swepco does. 

Wasn't replying to anyone in particular. This topic comes up pretty often so it was a blanket statement. 

Oh ok I jumped the gun a little, my bad. 

9 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

The grease gun. :lol:

Huh. In the manufacturing/aerospace world, anti-seize is never used in high speed applications since the solids tend to gum/jam shit up. 

7 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

All good man. I've been doing prep and maintenance for a long time so I try to only speak from experience on products I use professionally and personally. 

Example- I now have 3 seasons averaging 30-40 days of duning per season on my Gear One mid-board hubs. I'm getting ready to tear them down for a full prep. I use NEO HP800 full synthetic wheel bearing grease (same as I use on the race cars and all the cars I prep). NEO is ~$40 a can and I can do 4 sets of mid-board rear bearings with 1 can. It has done well for me so whenever someone asks I recommend it. 

With @gearone now back in business I suppose I should do a tech thread on my hubs.

Screenshot_20190519-212515_Photos.jpg

9 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Huh. In the manufacturing/aerospace world, anti-seize is never used in high speed applications since the solids tend to gum/jam shit up. 

How about a tech thread on all the "aerospace" stuff you do to your sandrail? I'd love to take my car to the next level.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

How about a tech thread on all the "aerospace" stuff you do to your sandrail? I'd love to take my car to the next level.

Right.  I use regular Mobil synthetic wheel bearing grease or Redline CV grease like Grease Monkey. Nothing fancy here, never a problem. 

Edited by Rockwood

I have a tube of Mobil1 chassis lube in my grease gun and it liquifies and drips out of the grease gun in the summer time. It's terrible stuff. Back on topic now. 

27 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Cv’s aren’t exactly high speed, I could see not using the anti seize in wheel bearings or other fast moving bearings. I have had good luck running bel-ray by itself as recommended by Kevin mcmullen racing here in phx. I have also ran it mixed with swepco with no issues. I ran redline cv 2 in my old car and it seemed to get pretty liquidy after a season.

7 minutes ago, Getpitted453 said:

Cv’s aren’t exactly high speed, I could see not using the anti seize in wheel bearings or other fast moving bearings. I have had good luck running bel-ray by itself as recommended by Kevin mcmullen racing here in phx. I have also ran it mixed with swepco with no issues. I ran redline cv 2 in my old car and it seemed to get pretty liquidy after a season.

Derp. Didn’t think about that: CV spins fast, bearings barely move unless it’s extreme angles, and even then, not much. Sorry for the confusion. :bigrin 

I tried the Mantek now certified labs years ago, for a sand car works amazing, it was the Elite, with C-sulfite now we went to the Extreme for higher heat with A-sulfite, we sell them for $17 a tube,

I have tried, Bellray, Bellray mixed with 101 molly, straight 101 Moly, Cat Gold, Neo, and RCV Moly

so far the Mantek/Certified has held up the best to staying tacky,  

9 hours ago, fortyfour said:

I have a tube of Mobil1 chassis lube in my grease gun and it liquifies and drips out of the grease gun in the summer time. It's terrible stuff. Back on topic now. 

Ditto here.

I use that stuff on the suspension on my Weekend Warrior.

9 hours ago, Getpitted453 said:

The red line has browned every season in color. I haven't seen it drip yet. What I have been amazed by is the cv still has grease all over and in it. All the other grease I've tried gets thrown out and a way from the cv over time.

13 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

All good man. I've been doing prep and maintenance for a long time so I try to only speak from experience on products I use professionally and personally. 

Example- I now have 3 seasons averaging 30-40 days of duning per season on my Gear One mid-board hubs. I'm getting ready to tear them down for a full prep. I use NEO HP800 full synthetic wheel bearing grease (same as I use on the race cars and all the cars I prep). NEO is ~$40 a can and I can do 4 sets of mid-board rear bearings with 1 can. It has done well for me so whenever someone asks I recommend it. 

With @gearone now back in business I suppose I should do a tech thread on my hubs.

Screenshot_20190519-212515_Photos.jpg

Hey Jeff,  where do you buy that Neo grease?  I can only find it on Amazon and it’s $50. I want to buy some. Also, I know you did a thread a while back about rebuilding mid-boards but I can’t find it. Mine are due and I want to give it a go.  Can you repost that thread?

Thanks,

John

1 hour ago, jwest2sh said:

Hey Jeff,  where do you buy that Neo grease?  I can only find it on Amazon and it’s $50. I want to buy some. Also, I know you did a thread a while back about rebuilding mid-boards but I can’t find it. Mine are due and I want to give it a go.  Can you repost that thread?

Thanks,

John

$35 at Kartek. I'll look for that thread. Not sure when I'm going to do much hubs but hit me up if you have any questions. My son and I are stripping the entire car down to the bare chassis so no rush to get the hubs done. 

NEO at Kartek

43 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

$35 at Kartek. I'll look for that thread. Not sure when I'm going to do much hubs but hit me up if you have any questions. My son and I are stripping the entire car down to the bare chassis so no rush to get the hubs done. 

NEO at Kartek

Cool. Thanks!