Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Derp. Didn’t think about that: CV spins fast, bearings barely move unless it’s extreme angles, and even then, not much. Sorry for the confusion. :bigrin 

a 33 inch tire turns at 630 rpm at 60 mph. and like you said the bearings dont move that much unless there is a extreme angle. if some one wanted to do comparison with a heat gun i would like to see the results. i have a tub grinder here and have tried all kinds of grease red grease, chassie grease, timkin mill bearing grease they all seemed to do the same except the grease i use now which is from conoco phillips mining grease high molly ep2 and its only slightly better. 249.00 a pail the mill runs at 1800 rpm 880 hp from a c27 cat. the timkin stuff was 40 a tube so the price vs quality dosent apply to grease. i actually had more problems over greasing which can also make a bearing run hot

Edited by diesel-e

10 minutes ago, diesel-e said:

a 33 inch tire turns at 630 rpm at 60 mph. and like you said the bearings dont move that much unless there is a extreme angle

I talked to Doug Fortin about CV grease last time I was there. He explained that it was more about the pressure than the movement in the CV. They recommend the BelRay mixture also. 

3 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

I talked to Doug Fortin about CV grease last time I was there. He explained that it was more about the pressure than the movement in the CV. They recommend the BelRay mixture also. 

in my cv i also mix bell ray never had a problem

On 5/19/2019 at 3:32 PM, CHIZZLE said:

Alright, I ordered a few tubes.  I'll be the guinea pig.  You guys suck.  Lol.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, diesel-e said:

a 33 inch tire turns at 630 rpm at 60 mph. and like you said the bearings dont move that much unless there is a extreme angle. if some one wanted to do comparison with a heat gun i would like to see the results. i have a tub grinder here and have tried all kinds of grease red grease, chassie grease, timkin mill bearing grease they all seemed to do the same except the grease i use now which is from conoco phillips mining grease high molly ep2 and its only slightly better. 249.00 a pail the mill runs at 1800 rpm 880 hp from a c27 cat. the timkin stuff was 40 a tube so the price vs quality dosent apply to grease. i actually had more problems over greasing which can also make a bearing run hot

Like of good stuff comes out of the mining industry. When equipment failure means certain death, people sweat the small shit. :bigrin 

BTW: reread my first post, guess it got took the wrong way. Was meant as a “huh, interesting” not a “huh, you’re wrong.” Forget people get sensitive online. :bigrin

Edited by Rockwood

It doesn’t matter what brand cv grease I use. It all flings out of the cv, gets all over the garage and it beats me to the door handle going back into the house. For what it’s worth the $12 Mantek grease was as good as the $70 per tube Neo for me. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Blue-Jay said:

For what it’s worth the $12 Mantek grease was as good as the $70 per tube Neo for me. 

Ditto

not exactly those particular brands but the same scenario.

Edited by fortyfour

6 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

for me on a sand car Belray was the worst, it got very chaulky, also belray is a anti seize that is why some mix it,   still feel the Mantek is one of the best for a Sandcar  

15 minutes ago, J Alper said:

for me on a sand car Belray was the worst, it got very chaulky, also belray is a anti seize that is why some mix it,   still feel the Mantek is one of the best for a Sandcar  

I ran the Mantek this last season...after one daytrip my CV's were clicking worse than they ever had and it felt like there was no grease in the CV when I plunged it in and out.  I added grease in the zerks before every trip this year and the clicking only got worse.  

8 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

I ran the Mantek this last season...after one daytrip my CV's were clicking worse than they ever had and it felt like there was no grease in the CV when I plunged it in and out.  I added grease in the zerks before every trip this year and the clicking only got worse.  

A friend had that happen once... turns out it was the R&P missing a tooth.

8 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

You aren't the only one to say this about Mantek.

Funny how I don't read any posts that people complain about clicking when Bel Ray and Swepco are mixed.  :hmm:

41 minutes ago, lincster said:

Funny how I don't read any posts that people complain about clicking when Bel Ray and Swepco are mixed.  :hmm:

the issue I had with Belray mix was the cvs pitted the first season on a new set of GKN's  but they never clicked

44 minutes ago, lincster said:

I just have never been impressed with the swepco,  the belray I thing I would try with a mantek mixed with belray, the swepco was just so thin by itself it leaked out, and the belray was really chaulcky after a couple of heat cycles, 

11 minutes ago, J Alper said:

the issue I had with Belray mix was the cvs pitted the first season on a new set of GKN's  but they never clicked

Bel-Ray high temp, or regular anti-seize?  Regular Bel-Ray is Molybdenum and graphite which are pretty soft solids and should be fine.  High-temp has copper in it, which may cause problems (galvanic corrosion, aka pitting) given the right circumstances.

6 minutes ago, J Alper said:

I just have never been impressed with the swepco,  the belray I thing I would try with a mantek mixed with belray, the swepco was just so thin by itself it leaked out, and the belray was really chaulcky after a couple of heat cycles, 

This is what I was wondering about with anti-seize in CVs.  It's not the heat (safe to 750*F), but anti-seize generally doesn't like to move around a lot.  That being said, the moly embeds pretty damned well so the parts are usually still protected even after going dry.  CVs don't move a lot compared to a wheel-bearing, but I've never used it in my CVs so I'm not certain this is the cause.  

1 hour ago, J Alper said:

Like I said, I don't read many issues about Belray and Swepco mixed together.  I wasn't referring to them used by themselves.

LRS uses this combo on a lot, ALOT of preps he does and I don't recall him saying he has issues.

A2C5D401-.thumb.jpg.8a95d262c9d6bb9b485d0b7902c43eb9.jpg

Here are what my starts look like after 5 seasons using Belray and Swepco.

14 minutes ago, lincster said:

Like I said, I don't read many issues about Belray and Swepco mixed together.  I wasn't referring to them used by themselves.

LRS uses this combo on a lot, ALOT of preps he does and I don't recall him saying he has issues.

Nice!    Molybdenum is great for metal on metal parts because it makes the parts themselves slippery.  Any gumming or drying out before you cleaned it up?

Must be the off season cuz it's CV grease argument time again. I'll jump in and play.

For what it's worth: My experience with Mantek this season, CVs were toast, replacing all 4 (stock LS1, 930s, 2D). Last trip I had cracked stars, pitted bodies and balls. The cages were somewhat saveable. Mind you I do believe my limit straps are too long even though I measured the axles at 21 degrees at full droop. I'm going to strap them up a bit more and see if it helps. Going back to Belray/Swepco, will chime back in 12 months and let you know how it went.

IMG_8287.thumb.jpg.c719c4a1b90a2934079cecec91f746ed.jpg

919800648_IMG_82882.thumb.jpg.03d0fbe2073ac43487646fd5b36618b9.jpg

1314085647_IMG_82892.thumb.jpg.8b1f8069197b543a8e372092369febca.jpg

56 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Nice!    Molybdenum is great for metal on metal parts because it makes the parts themselves slippery.  Any gumming or drying out before you cleaned it up?

None at all.  Grease looked like it does when it goes in.

32 minutes ago, lincster said:

None at all.  Grease looked like it does when it goes in.

Cool.  Going to re-grease my CVs when I get this frame done.  Will have to try it this time.

1 hour ago, lincster said:

That star has got to be 10-15 years old by now. You’ve been using that picture for like eight or ten years now. Haha. 

Cat desert gold for me. And then when the changed it to something else I got a case of that. Someone here on the board did a write up on the new stuff.  I haven’t had any pitting or even a cv failure on any 930s I’ve owned in the past 6 years. 

3 hours ago, Blue-Jay said:

That star has got to be 10-15 years old by now. You’ve been using that picture for like eight or ten years now. Haha. 

Nice try.

My first set of CV stars/cages lasted from 2004 until 2012.

I am on my 2nd set and this pix is from the end of the 2017 season.

I will post a current pix this summer if that will make you feel better.

Just messing. I’m not too worried about it. 

16 hours ago, lincster said:

Nice try.

My first set of CV stars/cages lasted from 2004 until 2012.

I am on my 2nd set and this pix is from the end of the 2017 season.

I will post a current pix this summer if that will make you feel better.

I am losing sleep.

3 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

I am losing sleep.

I understand.