On 6/5/2019 at 7:55 AM, bansheemantb said:

Aerospace stuff done to my personal car is a full x-ray of every weld to check for cracks and subsurface porosity. Additionally I have done a steam clean, penetrant and black lighted every inch of the car. I held my fabricators to less than 2% subsurface defects, many of the joints had to have a dig and tig done to correct it. There are a lot of techniques in the aerospace industry that can be applied to a “race car”

You have someone do NDT on your entire samdrail/offroad chassis? Every weld? Prove it.

4 hours ago, evantwheeler said:

So this grease you are replacing doesn't just dissolve into thin air, it is migrating into the boot correct?  Do you pull the boot back and scoop out the grease at all periodically, or just at the end of the season and keep on pumping in through the Zerk throughout the winter?

Yes at end of season we toss boots full of grease in n trash and start over. This is not an efficient process but we’ve learned it’s our best chance of getting through a whole season. 

To anyone following to hear how the PME kit held up, It did fine. Ready for Idaho. 

12 minutes ago, Jetjock15 said:

To anyone following to hear how the PME kit held up, It did fine. Ready for Idaho. 

When will you be in ID?

Group is going last week if July! 

On 5/20/2019 at 10:32 PM, jwest2sh said:

I ran the Mantek this last season...after one daytrip my CV's were clicking worse than they ever had and it felt like there was no grease in the CV when I plunged it in and out.  I added grease in the zerks before every trip this year and the clicking only got worse.  

I just wanted to update my experience with Mantek last season.  I tore down the passenger side CV's and axle for summer prep yesterday.  I only had two daytrips to Superstition and two weekend trips to Glamis this season due to delays with the motor being built.  22.5 hours on the motor after the season.  When I prepped them last summer, I packed the CV's and the cup with Mantek.  I also added some every trip through the Zerks.  When I pulled them apart yesterday, there was almost no grease left in the CV on the trans side or the hub side.  It had all migrated out into the boot or into the cup on the hub side.  

I have 300M RCV 934 CV's inner and outer and I run about 24* of angle.  Last summer I had pitting on all four RCV stars.  I replaced the trans side stars and a couple of balls with Fortin 300M stars.  After tear down this summer I had a couple of minor pits on the RCV stars which were on the hub side, and the Fortin stars, which were on the trans side, still looked new.  I'm going to replace the RCV stars with Fortin stars and go with 100% Bel Ray (recommend by Doug Fortin), and see what happens.  I might do the inner/outer boots too.

just my experience,

~jw

IMG_1706[1].JPG

32 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

I just wanted to update my experience with Mantek last season.  I tore down the passenger side CV's and axle for summer prep yesterday.  I only had two daytrips to Superstition and two weekend trips to Glamis this season due to delays with the motor being built.  22.5 hours on the motor after the season.  When I prepped them last summer, I packed the CV's and the cup with Mantek.  I also added some every trip through the Zerks.  When I pulled them apart yesterday, there was almost no grease left in the CV on the trans side or the hub side.  It had all migrated out into the boot or into the cup on the hub side.  

I have 300M RCV 934 CV's inner and outer and I run about 24* of angle.  Last summer I had pitting on all four RCV stars.  I replaced the trans side stars and a couple of balls with Fortin 300M stars.  After tear down this summer I had a couple of minor pits on the RCV stars which were on the hub side, and the Fortin stars, which were on the trans side, still looked new.  I'm going to replace the RCV stars with Fortin stars and go with 100% Bel Ray (recommend by Doug Fortin), and see what happens.  I might do the inner/outer boots too.

just my experience,

~jw

IMG_1706[1].JPG

Wow, Not good. I went to the Mantek all last season. Always pull the boots back every other trip and mine did not seem that bad. But they still always take more grease it seems. 

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

just my experience,

~jw

IMG_1706[1].JPG

My 934's with Mantek look identical, but I had probably 5-6 days of driving on them.  Upon cleaning, the grease inside the CV's looked to have metal flake in them and best I can tell, it is coming from the balls.  All stars & cages look good so I put new balls in and put them all back together and using the Mantek again because I have more of it. 

IMG_2045.JPG

Edited by evantwheeler

I hate CV's! One day someone has to make a better way for these to work. Doesn't matter what grease I use it gets thrown out of the CV's after about 200 miles. Time to fill them back up.

7 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

just my experience,

~jw

I think your going to find running straight BelRay is it's going to clump up like dry cookie dough. I would keep a close eye on it. 

IMHO there is nothing better then the BelRay Sweepco mix and there is no short cut or easy button. 

39 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I think your going to find running straight BelRay is it's going to clump up like dry cookie dough. I would keep a close eye on it. 

IMHO there is nothing better then the BelRay Sweepco mix and there is no short cut or easy button. 

I was gong to say the exact same thing.  I've seen this first hand when tearing down CV's that only had BelRay Anti seize.  I'll see if I can find some pics.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:01 AM, Rockwood said:

These lil peckers help keep the big caulk tubes from dribbling:

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Pecker-Caulk-Saver-Sealer/dp/B06XK92QZF

i need a smaller one

On 6/11/2019 at 9:42 AM, L.R.S. said:

You have someone do NDT on your entire samdrail/offroad chassis? Every weld? Prove it.

Yeah seeing as how I’m a trained NDT tech and machinist for a large aerospace company I can use the equipment when not in use. During our slow months, usually very end of the year and the first three weeks of the year our X-ray is at a stand still as is it every night from 11pm to 5am. Come see me in glamis next season and I’ll show you the 3” binder full of X-ray films and metallurgy test on each batch of chromoly used in the rebuild process on my car. 

7 hours ago, bansheemantb said:

Yeah seeing as how I’m a trained NDT tech and machinist for a large aerospace company I can use the equipment when not in use. During our slow months, usually very end of the year and the first three weeks of the year our X-ray is at a stand still as is it every night from 11pm to 5am. Come see me in glamis next season and I’ll show you the 3” binder full of X-ray films and metallurgy test on each batch of chromoly used in the rebuild process on my car. 

Not to belittle your profession but I wouldn't classify NDT as aerospace technology seeing as it is widely used in numerous industrial applications.  I worked in the energy business for 18 years, the last 6 of which were in an oil refinery, and NDT testing was so common we had Mistras NDT/NDE on site Mon-Fri and had 24 hour coverage during our 6-10 week turnarounds.  One of my friends did NDT for several years all over the country in amusement parks checking roller coasters. 

In fact we did some NDT on a piece of shit @mosebilt spindle a few years ago-  Remember this car John Mosely?

20160530_201829.jpg

20160530_202008.jpg

Once the 'good' spindle was sand blasted we determined it was not worth repairing so we built a new set.

20160527_204426.jpg

1102_SPINDLE_DS.JPG

20160627_202721.jpg

20160701_192326.jpg

20160701_192400.jpg

20160708_202748.jpg

On 6/19/2019 at 8:00 PM, L.R.S. said:

I was gong to say the exact same thing.  I've seen this first hand when tearing down CV's that only had BelRay Anti seize.  I'll see if I can find some pics.

how do you mix it?  Do you just fill the cup with Swepco?

On 6/19/2019 at 12:03 PM, evantwheeler said:

My 934's with Mantek look identical, but I had probably 5-6 days of driving on them.  Upon cleaning, the grease inside the CV's looked to have metal flake in them and best I can tell, it is coming from the balls.  All stars & cages look good so I put new balls in and put them all back together and using the Mantek again because I have more of it. 

IMG_2045.JPG

I have a couple tubes left too...i'll just use it on my wagon or wheelbarrow or something!  LOL.  I had better luck with the Cat Gold...or whatever it's called now.  

~jw

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

how do you mix it?  Do you just fill the cup with Swepco?

I use a needle point on my grease gun to pack the CV with Swepco Moly 101 then use the caulking gun with BelRay anti seize to put a layer of grease over the Swepco.  Some people take the time to mix the two together and put it into a caulking tube but I don't do that.  They'll mix themselves.  The BelRay is thick and will help to keep the Swepco in the CV.

EDIT to add- I fill the trans and micro stub cups with BelRay.  If they are mid-boards I do not fill the cap with anything.  Once the axle is installed I put a layer of BelRay over the CV then install the cap.

Edited by L.R.S.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:15 AM, L.R.S. said:

Not to belittle your profession but I wouldn't classify NDT as aerospace technology seeing as it is widely used in numerous industrial applications.  I worked in the energy business for 18 years, the last 6 of which were in an oil refinery, and NDT testing was so common we had Mistras NDT/NDE on site Mon-Fri and had 24 hour coverage during our 6-10 week turnarounds.  One of my friends did NDT for several years all over the country in amusement parks checking roller coasters. 

In fact we did some NDT on a piece of shit @mosebilt spindle a few years ago-  Remember this car John Mosely?

Once the 'good' spindle was sand blasted we determined it was not worth repairing so we built a new set.

20160527_204426.jpg

Nothing new under the sun, and AE definitely doesn't have the market cornered on anything other than bullshit dancing with the FAA. :bigrin 

And jeeezlus, seeing that spindle again is giving me the piss shivers.  Again.  Thanks for that. :bigrin 

I was just going back re-reading this thread because I am rigging a buddies car  with new power and He asked me to have a look at the CV's

They are 934's on a 2800lb car with what was an 450 ish HP engine I pulled the boots back and the Bates boot were full of grease, I mean like it was purposely packed in there and i a still finding  on the floor of my shop as it squeezed out all over when one of the boots popped off -   and I wish I took a pic, the CV's were basically dry. I asked what grease he used, he said "i had some old Mobil 1 in the grease gun" that was maybe 2-3 tubes easy

I basically had a small heart stop moment.... Like LRS, and partially from his experience I have used the BelRay swepco mix religiously and kept the Boots clean to prevent heat build up - the reason I tried and threw away those CV savers  - they basically were like putting covers on the CVs kept the grease in and all the heat.  Like a pot on the stove with a lid .. not good

Also Like Alper said heat kills CV's and moves the grease out...

This was a great reminder why you need a Binder like the Anti-seize in Bel Ray and the Pressure capabilities of the 101 to really work with CV's.. but also like it has been said all cars are different - greater angles and HP seem to stress the film capabilities of the grease and of course the quality and hardness of the CVs themselves...

On my last cart with  Alper supplied 930/30 RCV stars and Fortin cages in GKN bodies, I ran Alper/Kartek dual boots and Mantek on 24 degree angle and a lot of HP in a 2000 Lb car and my typical 2x a season regrease - they looked new after the first season, it told me you have to take in all the factors... the Mantek for me worked great although it was a bit lighter than I was used to.

But  back to this car... Mobil 1 basically oil running out, Boots filled with pounds of grease and a full season plus on the CV's  and I inspected them and they looked great - No idea what brand, CV's But I know the guy that had the car was an EMPI fan... so this completely made me scratch my head, throw my hands up and just say WTH.... I put Swepco 164 in and we'll see how that does

Its a Chromo vs DOM 2.0 discussion in CV grease world....

Just tore these down yesterday.  No idea what grease was in them and don't have a history on how long they've been in service.  Two of the stars had 5/13 engraved on them.  A couple of the 35 spline 934's had grease so tacky I had to scrape it off and the others had a more 'normal' grease that came right off after a few minutes in a e85 bath (old e85 works great for cleaning CV's, then just evaporates...).  Out of the ten 934's all the bodies are fine, all the cages are fine but half of them could use some dremel stone polishing, and 4 of the stars have some pitting but would be great for spares.

So, who needs some 934 CV's or a good spare?  I have six 33 spline and four 35 spline.  Two of the bodies are the lightened version.  One of the bodies is machined for a Fortin transaxle but can be used on any brand transaxle.

20190712_192345.jpg

20190712_193326.jpg

46 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

Just tore these down yesterday.  No idea what grease was in them and don't have a history on how long they've been in service.  Two of the stars had 5/13 engraved on them.  A couple of the 35 spline 934's had grease so tacky I had to scrape it off and the others had a more 'normal' grease that came right off after a few minutes in a e85 bath (old e85 works great for cleaning CV's, then just evaporates...).  Out of the ten 934's all the bodies are fine, all the cages are fine but half of them could use some dremel stone polishing, and 4 of the stars have some pitting but would be great for spares.

So, who needs some 934 CV's or a good spare?  I have six 33 spline and four 35 spline.  Two of the bodies are the lightened version.  One of the bodies is machined for a Fortin transaxle but can be used on any brand transaxle.

20190712_192345.jpg

20190712_193326.jpg

PM'd you

11 minutes ago, SCHMIDTY said:

PM'd you

Got it.  I'll be in touch.

2 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

20190712_192345.jpg

20190712_193326.jpg

Looks like some of the cages are fortins...

The black ones?  Are they better ?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, fullthrottleguy said:

I was just going back re-reading this thread because I am rigging a buddies car  with new power and He asked me to have a look at the CV's

They are 934's on a 2800lb car with what was an 450 ish HP engine I pulled the boots back and the Bates boot were full of grease, I mean like it was purposely packed in there and i a still finding  on the floor of my shop as it squeezed out all over when one of the boots popped off -   and I wish I took a pic, the CV's were basically dry. I asked what grease he used, he said "i had some old Mobil 1 in the grease gun" that was maybe 2-3 tubes easy

I basically had a small heart stop moment.... Like LRS, and partially from his experience I have used the BelRay swepco mix religiously and kept the Boots clean to prevent heat build up - the reason I tried and threw away those CV savers  - they basically were like putting covers on the CVs kept the grease in and all the heat.  Like a pot on the stove with a lid .. not good

Also Like Alper said heat kills CV's and moves the grease out...

This was a great reminder why you need a Binder like the Anti-seize in Bel Ray and the Pressure capabilities of the 101 to really work with CV's.. but also like it has been said all cars are different - greater angles and HP seem to stress the film capabilities of the grease and of course the quality and hardness of the CVs themselves...

On my last cart with  Alper supplied 930/30 RCV stars and Fortin cages in GKN bodies, I ran Alper/Kartek dual boots and Mantek on 24 degree angle and a lot of HP in a 2000 Lb car and my typical 2x a season regrease - they looked new after the first season, it told me you have to take in all the factors... the Mantek for me worked great although it was a bit lighter than I was used to.

But  back to this car... Mobil 1 basically oil running out, Boots filled with pounds of grease and a full season plus on the CV's  and I inspected them and they looked great - No idea what brand, CV's But I know the guy that had the car was an EMPI fan... so this completely made me scratch my head, throw my hands up and just say WTH.... I put Swepco 164 in and we'll see how that does

Its a Chromo vs DOM 2.0 discussion in CV grease world....

You must run your car harder than all the class 1 teams having success with the cv savers. I run with Alper’s group, we just a bunch of old guys that just cruise, so no issues. As for your analogy, I’ll buy it. Pot on the stove, the water is the grease, the lid keeps the water from escaping. Regardless of temps the grease (water) is what keeps the cv alive. Cold engine without oil will not last as long as a hot engine with oil type of thing. So you ran a cv saver without luck and formed a opinion on this single data point? This might be flawed logic as $hit happens with cvs. I shattered a brand new fortin 300 cage on its first big jump out of camp and has to get towed back. Alper has a empi Cage we threw in, lasted the rest of the week. I try not to form conclusions based on any one instance. With cvs $hit happens. 

Edited by Jetjock15