Rockwood

Flagstaff Camping

Going to be tent camping/Jeeping (miiiiiight bring the motorhome, but doubtful) in Flagstaff area in July (thanks to the Zonies for letting me know how hot it gets in Sedona in July). Anyone have recommendations?

If you are bringing a Jeep, go to the Cinders. Very fun place. Tons of trails through the Pine trees and crazy big hill called 100 dollar hill. Scenic views on top of the hills, and Sunset Crater N.M. is kinda cool to check out while your there. Its only like 10 miles North and East a little from downtown Flag.

26 minutes ago, Buggydave said:

If you are bringing a Jeep, go to the Cinders. Very fun place. Tons of trails through the Pine trees and crazy big hill called 100 dollar hill. Scenic views on top of the hills, and Sunset Crater N.M. is kinda cool to check out while your there. Its only like 10 miles North and East a little from downtown Flag.

Definitely plan on spending a day or 2 exploring the cinders. 

will ur jeep overheat in the 120˚ temps ?

7 minutes ago, I'm Sorry said:

will ur jeep overheat in the 120˚ temps ?

Not really. Might add an oil cooler to be sure. 

9 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Not really. Might add an oil cooler to be sure. 

i don't understand .......... it will but wont ?

:bigrin

1 minute ago, I'm Sorry said:

i don't understand .......... it will but wont ?

:bigrin

Lol. Haven’t been in Zonieland wheeling. Wheeled 115* temps in the desert here, but AZ is like the gates of hell, so cooler would be insurance. :bigrin 

There will never be 120 degree temps in Sedona.  There is no need to worry about Sedona in the summer.

1 minute ago, Phoenix7 said:

There will never be 120 degree temps in Sedona.  There is no need to worry about Sedona in the summer.

Probably gonna do Smasher Canyon as well, which is definitely gonna be warm... Doubt it’ll be 120* though. 

Just for the record, Phoenix is where it can get 120 degrees +.  I love heat and I regularly sit in saunas and hardly ever drive with the AC on.  But I drove in my Phoenix suburb when it was 122 degrees a couple/few years ago, without AC (because it was broken) and with all my windows down.  Even for someone who likes heat, it was very uncomfortable at that temperature.  It doesn't compare to a sauna, and I don't know why.  It was pretty hard to handle.

While it can get warm in Sedona in July usually all you need is a little shade. The nights still cool down nicely and are pleasant. But then I'm someone who likes Glamis in the summer.

Posted (edited)

If you are going to the Cinders bring a bar of soap 'cause you will be dirty at the end of the day.  I am still plucking little pieces of black lava stones from the floor of my buggy from a Cinders trip 3 years ago. It gets everywhere. Everyone told me it will tear up  tires but I didn't notice any major wear on my dirt tires. We did get a chuckle from all of the "hillbilly" off roaders there doing crazy things.

Edited by fortyfour

43 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Not worry about the Sedona temps, just all the tourists. Cool way to Jeep into Sedona is take the Schnebley Hill exit off I-17. Nice trail that goes all the way into Sedona. Cool views there. There are some very cool trail areas around the Snow Bowl road that will take you to some underground lava tubes (if you’re not claustrophobic,  that is. )

3 minutes ago, quaddaddy said:

Not worry about the Sedona temps, just all the tourists. Cool way to Jeep into Sedona is take the Schnebley Hill exit off I-17. Nice trail that goes all the way into Sedona. Cool views there. There are some very cool trail areas around the Snow Bowl road that will take you to some underground lava tubes (if you’re not claustrophobic,  that is. )

The kids love lava tubes :bigrin 

39414684-D107-4183-AB25-795578AB11F4.thumb.jpeg.47a5ccaa678a13ac9ecb2fb1211d01fd.jpeg

10 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

If you are going to the Cinders bring a bar of soap 'cause you will be dirty at the end of the day.  I am still plucking little pieces of black lava stones from the floor of my buggy from a Cinders trip 3 years ago. It gets everywhere. Everyone told me it will tear up  tires but I didn't notice any major wear on my dirt tires. We did get a chuckle from all of the "hillbilly" off roaders there doing crazy things.

Windows will be up and AC on. :bigrin 

9 minutes ago, quaddaddy said:

Thanks for the recommendation.  I found this video just now, and Schnebly Hill exit is on my short list now.  You can't beat the Sedona scenery.  BEST IN THE WORLD!!

If you are going to be in Flag towards the end of July, then most likely to have thunderstorms roll through in the afternoons. That's the best time of year up there, especially at the cinders. Rains roll through and drops temps into low 70's in the afternoon. 

And kills all the dust the cinders have..

4 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

And kills all the dust the cinders have..

Where ever you go up there at that time of year just remember to have a handfull of the cheap plastic poncho's with you at all times.  Even though the sky is blue and not a cloud in sight a thunderstorm could be 10 minutes away.

You have a lot of options. You can head a little south to Munds Park and lots of riding. You can make it to Sedona from there. You can head west to Williams and plenty to see and do. There are a few small trout lakes around the Williams area . You can also take the back way to Jerome for the day which is a nice ride and plenty to see. What exactly are you wanting to do? Are you looking for more boondock camping? If you would like I can send you a few pins. The lava tubes are also pretty cool to see and you can get there from Williams or Flagstaff.

while the cinders is a nice place to beat the AZ heat, there are more better places to ride directly across the highway from the cinders.  Lockett Meadow is a great dirt road to a group of Aspen trees where some serious hiking trails start.  That same road wraps all the way around Humphreys mountain and you will end up near snowbowl.  Cross that highway and ride over to Parks AZ to the lava tubes and lunch near Campingworld.   Other things to see just outside of the Cinders is the Wuputaki ruins, old Native ruins you can actually walk around and inside of.  And the Grand Falls is a neat place to see, a waterfall taller than Niagra falls in AZ!!!

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, NEVERENOUGH said:

You have a lot of options. You can head a little south to Munds Park and lots of riding. You can make it to Sedona from there. You can head west to Williams and plenty to see and do. There are a few small trout lakes around the Williams area . You can also take the back way to Jerome for the day which is a nice ride and plenty to see. What exactly are you wanting to do? Are you looking for more boondock camping? If you would like I can send you a few pins. The lava tubes are also pretty cool to see and you can get there from Williams or Flagstaff.

Since we'll be up there for a week, somewhere near showers would be nice.  I can carry a lot of water with our true boondock setup (not glamping like at Glamis in the motorhome :bigrin), but nothing beats an actual running water shower.  I currently have Pine Grove on our list (too late to try to get reservations, unfortunately), but our fallback plan is to find a dispersed boondock spot somewhere in the area so we can head in for showers in the evening.

Riding wise: cool things to see are always welcome.  Will probably head down to Sedona a couple of times, and probably hit up Smasher Canyon while we're there on the second to last day.

58 minutes ago, MWB said:

Where ever you go up there at that time of year just remember to have a handfull of the cheap plastic poncho's with you at all times.  Even though the sky is blue and not a cloud in sight a thunderstorm could be 10 minutes away.

Jeep always has those in it, thankfully.  Got caught out a few times.  Getting soaked sucks, even with a heater.

17 minutes ago, megadesertdiesel said:

while the cinders is a nice place to beat the AZ heat, there are more better places to ride directly across the highway from the cinders.  Lockett Meadow is a great dirt road to a group of Aspen trees where some serious hiking trails start.  That same road wraps all the way around Humphreys mountain and you will end up near snowbowl.  Cross that highway and ride over to Parks AZ to the lava tubes and lunch near Campingworld.   Other things to see just outside of the Cinders is the Wuputaki ruins, old Native ruins you can actually walk around and inside of.  And the Grand Falls is a neat place to see, a waterfall taller than Niagra falls in AZ!!!

Nice, will google coords for those places.  Thanks!

Edited by Rockwood

if your bringing the kids ? There is Bearizona just west of Flagstaff in Williams. There is also a huge meteor crater East of Flagstaff on I40. And the Grand Canyon if you have never been. There is a loop from Flagstaff that will take you along the south rim of the canyon. As stated previously, there are Indians ruins just outside of Flag in Walnut Creek, and the Lava tube is pretty cool ( no really, it is always 45 degrees ! )

Posted (edited)

There is sooo much to do up there.  I would plan 1/2 day at cinders if you really want to go but it is very dusty and make sure you clean your air filter when you leave.  so many other better spots to ride and see. Once you leave Phoenix Northern AZ is amazing place.  williams has a great KOA you can rent a Teepee for the night and fill your tanks.  they have showers there and lots for the kids to do. The Teepee is really really nice.  lots of riding. only 50 mins from Grand Canyon, William railroad ride , zip line and great little town for lunch.  Like most have said Sedona, flagstaff, munds park, list goes on.  you will have a great time.  July temps will be great up there. Aug gets nasty

Edited by Squatcher

Also,  please keep in mind that with our monsoon rain washes can turn from dry to ragging instantly. This can happen even if not raining where you are at the time. Keep an eye out for storms nearby.