Rockwood

Flagstaff Camping

The cinders are nice in the winter also. DON~~~

Train trip 057.JPG

15 minutes ago, donparscale said:

The cinders are nice in the winter also. DON~~~

Train trip 057.JPG

That doesn't look like winter that looks like yesterday.

23 hours ago, MWB said:

That doesn't look like winter that looks like yesterday.

We were at Big Lake (close to Show Low) Saturday and it was 45 deg. real nice. DON~~~

Anyone have suggestions for tent camping in the flagstaff area with showers nearby?

4 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Anyone have suggestions for tent camping in the flagstaff area with showers nearby?

Can't think of anything like that.  There are a couple of Campgrounds in the area , try Lake Mary  

You're not going to find that at Lake Mary.   Ten miles south east is Mormon Lake, it has public showers, may want to call ahead for camping.   Showers, Lodge, Bar, store all in waking distance.  Best part is you can take off from your camping spot on your toy in any direction, even on the paved roads.  Just don't be a moran, and the LEO's won't give you a second look.  Ideally,  get a forest map, soooo many trails and fun destination rides.     

Schnebly Hill is a fun and easy 4 wheel trail and takes about an hour to get into Sedona. Best of both worlds for us. I get to mob the ride and mama get to shop in Sedona.  You are about 30-45 south of Flag and very close to Munds Park for supplies. 

C702F8AC-AB19-4D52-88BB-E936BF55B555.jpeg

A3C3399C-8B14-4F81-88AA-45A6619400D1.jpeg

FB8D8E55-4EF1-4475-BB51-77B955C8AABF.jpeg

2 hours ago, Duster said:

You're not going to find that at Lake Mary.   Ten miles south east is Mormon Lake, it has public showers, may want to call ahead for camping.   Showers, Lodge, Bar, store all in waking distance.  Best part is you can take off from your camping spot on your toy in any direction, even on the paved roads.  Just don't be a moran, and the LEO's won't give you a second look.  Ideally,  get a forest map, soooo many trails and fun destination rides.     

There are many trails around Mormon Lake and it is all in the pines and cool in the summer. Towards Sedona is nice but warm in the middle of summer as you drop down in elevation. Up around Mormon Lake you will be 7000+ feet in the surrounding area. South of Mormon lake, Hutch Mountain is a nice destination.  8530 feet elevation so very nice in the summer.  There are also trails from ML that go up to Lake Mary.  There is a lookout at Hutch Mountain.  Mormon Mountain is also another nice destination.  Almost 8500 feet in elevation. From Dairy springs on the west side of the lake there is a main graded road that goes to Munds park. Not to far from ML and dairy springs is the road that heads up to the top of Mormon Mountain. 

Not far from Morman Lake is one of the old fire towers which is no longer in use. Awesome views from the top.  Bottom steps are gone but you can still climb up to the top. (At least a couple of years ago. Inspect tower and climb at your own risk!!) When I was a kid we rode our motorcycles up there all the time and visited the person manning the tower. There was a cabin at the base that they lived in. Very solitary life. Really neat to be up there when the wind is howling.  After leaving the lodge and at the very south end of the lake you pass the ranger station turnoff and it is the first dirt road to your right. Map says 124c but I never looked at the number so not sure. Going down that road a very short ways is a small cinder pit to your left. 

Morman lake.jpg

Follow the road south. I would guess approx. 2 miles. You are climbing the whole time and will get into spruce trees. 

Morman Lake 2.jpg

Posted (edited)

At the top of the hill you sweep around a long right hand curve and then come to roads going left and right in addition to the main road. Go right here up the mountain. I am guessing you are at 7500 feet.  You will come to a big gate. I don't think you can drive through anymore. Up to your left is the tower.  I don't think you can see it from the gate through the trees but just a short walk to hike up to it and the old fallen down cabin. There used to be a well next to that cabin that you could pump fresh water out of the ground. So good to drink on a hot summer day and stick your head under it. 

Morman Lake 3.jpg

Edited by onanysunday

Hard to see it from a satellite view. 

Morman Lake 4.jpg

I zoomed in and rotated it for a little better view of the tower.

Morman lake 5.jpg

https://www.happyjacklodge.com/     52 miles south of Flagstaff. The mecca of utv riding . lol. They have showers.

There is a campground at the Sunset Crater N.M. right next to the Cinders, if I remember, someone told me they stayed there once and they had showers. Could probably Google it.