Posted (edited)

Doctor said “kick back on the beer, drink Red Wine” ... Mac gave me a few good recommendations.  Picked up a bottle and drank it, smoked it down with a good Cuban and now I’m focked up.  Taste good ! New to wine . He never said don’t drink the whole thing nor did the bottle. Cheerz biatch. Braawawahaa...... I think I found something new to my life.   Sorry I have nothin else.

19DC114B-0ED2-4D25-ADE6-6C8A7ACF63C1.jpeg

Edited by mike dee

Nice! 

Love me a good cigar. 

shouldn't this TOPic be in "wine" and cheese  ?

Awesome.  Glad you like it.

If I knew you'd be smoking a cigar with it, I'd have recommended a 10-20 year Fonseca Port!

Find your happy place.

2 hours ago, Bansh88 said:

Gross

agreed...……...2 of the nastiest things combined.

But....Glad it worked for you. Enjoy that wine headache! LOL

Stater Bros has some great deals on some good wines.  Try the Apothic Crush,  Its a good red blend thats smooth

Sounds healthy enough...

12 hours ago, mike dee said:

Doctor said “kick back on the beer, drink Red Wine” ... Mac gave me a few good recommendations.  Picked up a bottle and drank it, smoked it down with a good Cuban and now I’m focked up.  Taste good ! New to wine . He never said don’t drink the whole thing nor did the bottle. Cheerz biatch. Braawawahaa...... I think I found something new to my life.   Sorry I have nothin else.

19DC114B-0ED2-4D25-ADE6-6C8A7ACF63C1.jpeg

You drank the whole bottle... :lmao:

Nice! Love a good wine...and a good cigar too! 

I have a little glass of red couple...maybe 3 times a week. About what you have poured there.

Reds I like Cabernet Savignon and Pinot Noir over a Merlot...Merlot to me is thick.

Whites, Pinot Grigio...its light and crisp. Chardonnay is too buttery for me.

My measly .02 worth not even that!

:laugh:

Enjoy.

Good daily's that my wine fridge is stocked with on a regular basis:

TisDale,

Crane Lake

Bogle

Apothic

19 Crimes

Barefoot

BV

Dark Horse

Posted (edited)

I stay away from "blends" I just consider them the stuff they would throw away but "blend" it with all the other throw away stuff and wha la...a "California Red" "table wine" or "blend"  :lol:

When doctors "recommend" red wine, the point is to kind of stay away overly sweet and heavy sugar.  Whites and blends tend to be sweeter and have more sugars, hence the "dry" reference.

My favorites are Cabernets, Old Zinfandels, Pinot Noir, Malbecs, Carmeneres, Chiantis.   I do occasionally get a good port.  I also have a few whites I like.  Being a "chef", get into the whole pairing a meal with a certain wine.  A good wine and focus on "how" you want to enjoy it really does make a difference.

Best places to buy that I've found are Costco or Bevmo.  Bevmo has a buy one, get one for 5 cents.  You save a lot if you find one of their wines they have on sale regularly.  There are some that I buy by the case.

I would highly recommend going to Temecula and go wine tasting.  You will learn a lot, get to try a lot and find out what you like.  I'd recommend South Coast, Wilson Creek, Ponte, maybe even Callaway.  There are other good ones out there, those just seem to be the ones you can find their products in stores locally instead of having to go to Temecula or joining one of their wine clubs...which can be a rip off.  I would save your money.

Edited by Mac

1 hour ago, ladsm said:

Stater Bros has some great deals on some good wines.  Try the Apothic Crush,  Its a good red blend thats smooth

My Stater Bros is expensive. Usually get wine at Costco,  Trader Joes or Total Wine and more.  

Mike, talk to the guys at TJ’s amd TW&m. I usually ask for a $10 & $20 bottle and have them point me in the right direction. 

Found a Cab at TJ’s that was only $3 (NO. Not 2 buck chuck. Horrible!). Drank like a $12-15 bottle. Limited run so its gone but they get those on and off

Just now, matt86m said:

My Stater Bros is expensive. Usually get wine at Costco,  Trader Joes or Total Wine and more.  

Mike, talk to the guys at TJ’s amd TW&m. I usually ask for a $10 & $20 bottle and have them point me in the right direction. 

Found a Cab at TJ’s that was only $3 (NO. Not 2 buck chuck. Horrible!). Drank like a $12-15 bottle. Limited run so its gone but they get those on and off

My Staters has specials if you buy o 4 or 6 bottles they give you a good discount

1 minute ago, matt86m said:

:lol:

I buy 2 buck Chuck to cook with though...works good for that.

I've found that "price" doesn't necessarily dictate how good the wine is going to be but with that said...I try to stay in the $20-$40 dollar a bottle range.  I've gone a lot higher and yes, it was fantastic, but I can't "live" at that price point on a regular basis.

If you want to try going a little "big", try a Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon.   Worth every penny.  Goes great with a good prime rib.

St. Francis is hands down my FAVORITE  Old Vines Zin!!!   Excellent choice my friend... :clap: 

39 minutes ago, Mac said:

I stay away from "blends" I just consider them the stuff they would throw away but "blend" it with all the other throw away stuff and wha la...a "California Red" "table wine" or "blend"  :lol:

Ever had a proper "table wine" from Italy (especially in Italy)?   It might just change yore mind.  Regarding blends, and I don't know if this is still the case, but because the California Cabernet market is/was so saturated, wine makers started blending in additional varieties in order to stand out from the crowd.  Some were really good, most were meh . . .

1 minute ago, South Bay said:

Ever had a proper "table wine" from Italy (especially in Italy)?   It might just change yore mind.  Regarding blends, and I don't know if this is still the case, but because the California Cabernet market is/was so saturated, wine makers started blending in additional varieties in order to stand out from the crowd.  Some were really good, most were meh . . .

Italian table wines are "different".  They make them that way.

I'm just more of a purist in things.  Just like bourbons and Scotch, I'm not a "blend" guy.

Fess Parker - Pinot Noir

Francis Coppola - Cabernet Sauvignon

All I know is my wife likes these 2.....

I'm in a similar situation to Mike Dee.  However, I told the Doc that the beer I drink at dinner is my salad, it has hops, barley, and other grains.

So, I'm planning to mix it up and drink some red wine at dinner from time to time instead of beer.  Do most of you guys that have replaced beer with wine drink as much wine per volume?  For example I usually drink a couple of beers at dinner and the equivalent of that would be about a 750 ml bottle of wine.  Does that sound right?

9 minutes ago, Flip-Flop said:

I'm in a similar situation to Mike Dee.  However, I told the Doc that the beer I drink at dinner is my salad, it has hops, barley, and other grains.

So, I'm planning to mix it up and drink some red wine at dinner from time to time instead of beer.  Do most of you guys that have replaced beer with wine drink as much wine per volume?  For example I usually drink a couple of beers at dinner and the equivalent of that would be about a 750 ml bottle of wine.  Does that sound right?

I see what you did there...

12 ounces of standard beer = 1 ounce of 80 proof liquor = 6 ounces of standard wine.  

You get 4 "servings" of wine from a 750ml bottle, so the equivalent of 4 beers per bottle.

See that glass Mike Dee poured. I do something like that and that is it.

I don't do it every night and I don't really drink beer during the week that much....except Wednesdays...it's trash night on my street and my neighbors come over.

We solve the worlds problems and each buy a round from our garages! :bigrin 

:cheers:

All you fancy folk drinking your fancy drink, your not fooling anybody it's just fancy

35628.thumb.jpg.b34b50fd7dd92d7a983a5c0bf0936586.jpg

Take the trailer out of the trailer park and its still a trailer and your still trailer park livin

3 minutes ago, MWB said:

All you fancy folk drinking your fancy drink, your not fooling anybody it's just fancy

35628.thumb.jpg.b34b50fd7dd92d7a983a5c0bf0936586.jpg

Take the trailer out of the trailer park and its still a trailer and your still trailer park livin

I am getting a hangover just looking at this...

3 hours ago, Mac said:

I buy 2 buck Chuck to cook with though...works good for that.

I've found that "price" doesn't necessarily dictate how good the wine is going to be but with that said...I try to stay in the $20-$40 dollar a bottle range.  I've gone a lot higher and yes, it was fantastic, but I can't "live" at that price point on a regular basis.

If you want to try going a little "big", try a Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon.   Worth every penny.  Goes great with a good prime rib.

If I wont drink it. I aint cooking with it!  

I agree on the price doesnt dictate thing but when I find a good wine for $10 or less Thats a plus. Wife drinks only a glass a night so we end up dumping half a bottle too often.  I will drink wine with food but not just to sip on.