Jonesin'

King spring info

Please don’t ban me with all of my threads but, I’m curious on my spring rates... Going from a Megasand/Subi set up to a 2d/LS will I need to up my lower spring on the rear? Both springs are at 350 (top/bottom) and both fronts are at 250 (top/bottom). Before I started the upgrades on this car, it weighed right at 1,560 pounds. So I’m like 🤷🏻‍♂️

DD4491D9-C034-465F-84B2-2531003FB8AE.jpeg

Probably gonna have to wait til you finish it and see how it’s sits. Then adjust from there. 

Just now, jtmoney714 said:

Probably gonna have to wait til you finish it and see how it’s sits. Then adjust from there. 

I was thinking that too. May have to see how it rides and handles...

Definitely wait until it's drivable.  You'll want to re-spring and re-valve, more than likely.  And since you're throwing money at it like no tomorrow, plan on buying some rear bypass while you're at it.  Haha.  

Just now, CHIZZLE said:

And since you're throwing money at it like no tomorrow, plan on buying some rear bypass while you're at it.  Haha.  

Hardly the case... 😁

It's the rabbit hole everyone has been telling you about. :lol:

But it’s my rabbit hole... 👌🏼 

If you don’t add bypass I would at least consider remote revisor or piggy back .  Over your current emulsion coil over 

Most likely remote resi

Just for the sake of good conversation, have you sat down and calculated what all of your reliability and performance upgrades will cost when it's done? When I did my V8 upgrade I had 15k as my budget to work with, keep in mind I am a Chevrolet tech so I don't need to farm out mechanical work AND my best friend owns a metal fabrication shop. My Honda to LS project went very north of 20k before we had a car we could take to the dunes.  

I think you've heard us all badger you enough with this, I don't think it's a personal attack though. 

And Yes you will likely need to respring and revalve your car when finished

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

Most likely remote resi

If you're going to do that, do piggy backs.  You have plenty of room.

Edited by CHIZZLE

Posted (edited)

Let me ask this... 

“What is the difference of dropping $25,000 on a complete car or building one up from a $6,000 chassis?” 

Im not getting into a piss out. Just asking what the difference is? I am a Reactor Operator and I make decent money. I consider myself mechanically inclined as I turned wrenches professionally for about 5 years. I just like to work on my own projects. It’s just that long travels are new to me...  I am not taking it as a personal attack. Just curious why everyone is asking “why are you putting this into it, or why are you putting that into it? It is not needed.” It’s a hobby.  I am not putting this together to try and make money off of it because, I know that will not happen. 

Edited by Jonesin'

2 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

Let me ask this... 

“What is the difference of dropping $25,000 on a complete car or building one up from a $6,000 chassis?” 

Im not getting into a piss out. Just asking what the difference is? I am a Reactor Operator and I make decent money. I consider myself mechanically inclined as I turned wrenches professionally for about 5 years. I just like to work on my own projects. It’s just that long travels are new to me...

Your project is going to nickel and dime you to death.  At the end of the day, if you spend $25K, you're going to have a $15K-$18K rail.  But, if you enjoy it, who gives a eff*.  They're all money pits essentially.  Every hobby is.

Just now, CHIZZLE said:

Your project is going to nickel and dime you to death.  At the end of the day, if you spend $25K, you're going to have a $15K-$18K rail.  But, if you enjoy it, who gives a eff*.  They're all money pits essentially.  Every hobby is.

I understand this. However, I am looking to get the big stuff out of the way so I can enjoy this car. As I said before, I am not putting this together to resell it and make money. I am putting it together for my family and I to enjoy.

Posted (edited)

Nothing wrong with your logic Jonesin' ,and because you keep coming back here it appears you have learned to get over the negativity that has surrounded your project from the beginning.  I've got a shit ton of money into mine already and like yourself I'm not  building mine with resale in mind. There would be some things I'd do differently the second time around but that's neither here nor there at this point. 

Reactor Operator huh? Neato.  I know a guy who is an Operator at Palo Verde but he won't talk about it much. 

Edited by fortyfour

I’m not trying to start a chit storm here or make enemies. Just trying to get as much info as possible and use good parts on my car. I do appreciate help when I can “salvage” parts and save them from blindly tossing them and buying new. Like my CV fiasco. I would never “not finish” this car. I knew from the get go it would need a lot. It was originally built in 2003. Many new and “cool” parts have come along and I want to be a part of that with my project.

Jonesin you just keep it up.  Make that rail yours.   everyone warning you has done the same thing . I for one have done it many many times.,   it is all part of the sport.  Every sport you get into is a money pit.   talking to my buddy he just spent $1500 on baseball bats and gloves for his two boys.  top level play but travel, weekends, equipment, training etc and who knew you can have your boys in competitive baseball or own a rail. if it is fun it will cost a lot of money.  Jumping the gun on the springs right now.  keep an eye out for some bypasses.  should be able to find some used ones for around 700 bucks. might even look at the SxS take off shocks.  lots of travel and internal bypass shocks on the new ones.  If that car in the pic weighs that much now you might add over a 1000lbs once you are done. 

1 hour ago, Jonesin' said:

Let me ask this... 

What is the difference of dropping $25,000 on a complete car or building one up from a $6,000 chassis?” 

Im not getting into a piss out. Just asking what the difference is? I am a Reactor Operator and I make decent money. I consider myself mechanically inclined as I turned wrenches professionally for about 5 years. I just like to work on my own projects. It’s just that long travels are new to me...  I am not taking it as a personal attack. Just curious why everyone is asking “why are you putting this into it, or why are you putting that into it? It is not needed.” It’s a hobby.  I am not putting this together to try and make money off of it because, I know that will not happen. 

The difference is you will have well over 25k into building up a 6k chassis. So now you've spent over 30k on a non "name brand" car that you'll be lucky to get back 1/2 of what you have into it.  It's been said a million times it's cheaper to buy a completed car than it is to build one. 

The other issue is that you have no experience with long travel buggies and everytime you reached out and asked for advice you seemed to ignore or argue with those who gave you advice you didn't want to hear. Everybody that buys their first car always learns what they like or don't like and things they would do differently now that they have experience. In your case you will be paying dearly for that experience. 

6 hours ago, hondajimz said:

The difference is you will have well over 25k into building up a 6k chassis. So now you've spent over 30k on a non "name brand" car that you'll be lucky to get back 1/2 of what you have into it.  It's been said a million times it's cheaper to buy a completed car than it is to build one. 

The other issue is that you have no experience with long travel buggies and everytime you reached out and asked for advice you seemed to ignore or argue with those who gave you advice you didn't want to hear. Everybody that buys their first car always learns what they like or don't like and things they would do differently now that they have experience. In your case you will be paying dearly for that experience. 

I understand what you’re saying but, I have never ignored or argued any bit of information that I have received. I may have contested it with what other builders and other fabricators have told me. But that’s it. I am in no position nor do I have the experience in this  to argue with anyone. All I can do is take all of the advice given to me and use it to the best of my ability. 

As for shocks, I just added Fox internal bypass shocks over King piggybacks. Test will be this weekend and will post results in the thread I did about them. Feel good as I made no other changes with shocks, no changes, straight out of the box and same spring rate. This way I will be able to tell what the shock change did.

8 hours ago, hondajimz said:

you guys let him be already.  the difference is you start with 6k frame and then put 25k into and have what you want and enjoy the process and learning experience. when you buy a 25k car to start you then have to put 5 to 15k more into making it yours anyway and not learning as much. everyone can admit that this is a totally correct statement.  please keep us updated take a lot of pictures.  there are a lot of people here that have learned the hard way and some really know what they are talking about so wade though all the advise and take what you can from it. 

Your money, your hobby.  If you're having fun building it up, who cares what others think?  Resale value?  What if he keeps it for 20 years?  Not everyone buys a buggy, tinkers a little on it, and sells it a couple of years later.

Spring rate, etc, going to need to go up, but like others have said: best bet is to wait until the motor is in it before you decide.  Get your corner weights, either at a chassis shop, or by doing this:

That gets you the total weight on the corner, but you'll need to subtract unsprung weight.  Just jack up the car, unbolt the upper shock bolt, and let the wheel/tire rest on the scale (make sure the shock isn't catching somewhere).  

Again, did I need to put 2” Hollows on this car? Probably not. However, I know for peace of mind that they are stronger than the combos from before... I will never stop posting here because someone doesn’t agree on why I did something. That’s some grade school girl bs. I appreciate the help! All of it. Even the “nay-sayers.”  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jonesin' said:

Again, did I need to put 2” Hollows on this car? Probably not. However, I know for peace of mind that they are stronger than the combos from before... I will never stop posting here because someone doesn’t agree on why I did something. That’s some grade school girl bs. I appreciate the help! All of it. Even the “nay-sayers.”  

This is what I was referring to. Nobody prompted this comment. You just couldn't let it go. When someone says something you don't like, you get defensive. It's fine with me if you want to keep putting lipstick on that pig. Just don't get butt hurt when you asked for opinions. 

Edited by hondajimz

Jonesin you won't need 2" spindles unless you run a bigger tire than 8.5.  remember along the way that you might want to change one thing but then the snowball starts.   2" means bigger hubs, and brakes.   more $$.   that is the snowball that everyone was talking about. decide what you want in a end car and stay on course before you just start buying parts.  only suggestion I have for you on this car is make sure the suspension geometry is good or can be made good.  make sure you start with a good foundation.  tubes can always be added  and parts put on but make sure you have a properly setup car before you dump your time and energy into the wrong chassis if that is all good start cutting and welding. I have not read all your post but I will check them all out.  Also summer time people get crazy with sand withdraws.