ElCaminoManT

Ramona peeps!!

Posted (edited)

Looking at possibly moving up to Ramona and would like to get feedback from those that live there or have lived there. We have been in Lemon Grove for the last 8 years and before that was downtown El Cajon for 6 years so we don't move around just because so want to make sure where we end up is somewhere we will enjoy being for at least a good period of time. We've been looking primarily south of Main St (67). It very much reminds me of where I grew up outside of town in Winchester and Hemet back in the days before so many people moved in and the population got darker and questionable; roomy, small town feel, nice hardworking people, strong agricultural and animal presence. I work in Miramar and my wife at the edge of Spring Valley and Jamul. My commute currently averages 45 mins both in the morning and evenings and it seems to be a wash or slightly shorter to/from Ramona unless something completely blocks up the 67. I work 9-6 so seems I may be missing the busiest traffic times. My wife on the other hand is going to be dealing with more time. She has always had the shortest commute, 10-15 mins tops but that's a change she says she would be willing to deal with for the right place. A coworker friend of hers  lives in the Estates that has been doing the same drive for 15 years so they would likely carpool as much as possible.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Edited by ElCaminoManT
added info

Congrats bud.   Lots of nice houses in pine valley right now zero traffic till west el cajon am and none past west el cajon eve just sayin.... Ramona is really affordable. I’ve made many 4pm trips to the airport there and often the 67 up by mt woodson is a parking lot headed  north. Otherwise i think you will be happy. Lots of good restraunts and stores in town. Very off road friendly community. Beautiful affordable homes

I don't have much to say other than... I know where you live, and I know where Ramona is. Congrats! I would love to do something similar in the future. 

58 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

Congrats bud.   Lots of nice houses in pine valley right now zero traffic till west el cajon am and none past west el cajon eve just sayin.... Ramona is really affordable. I’ve made many 4pm trips to the airport there and often the 67 up by mt woodson is a parking lot headed  north. Otherwise i think you will be happy. Lots of good restraunts and stores in town. Very off road friendly community. Beautiful affordable homes

I know there are quite a lot of places out there but a big part of this consideration is because we go up to Temecula, Hemet and other IE areas so often, Pine Valley is just too far south and east for that kind of travel for us.

5 hours ago, ElCaminoManT said:

Looking at possibly moving up to Ramona and would like to get feedback from those that live there or have lived there. We have been in Lemon Grove for the last 8 years and before that was downtown El Cajon for 6 years so we don't move around just because so want to make sure where we end up is somewhere we will enjoy being for at least a good period of time. We've been looking primarily south of Main St (67). It very much reminds me of where I grew up outside of town in Winchester and Hemet back in the days before so many people moved in and the population got darker and questionable; roomy, small town feel, nice hardworking people, strong agricultural and animal presence. I work in Miramar and my wife at the edge of Spring Valley and Jamul. My commute currently averages 45 mins both in the morning and evenings and it seems to be a wash or slightly shorter to/from Ramona unless something completely blocks up the 67. I work 9-6 so seems I may be missing the busiest traffic times. My wife on the other hand is going to be dealing with more time. She has always had the shortest commute, 10-15 mins tops but that's a change she says she would be willing to deal with for the right place. A coworker friend of hers  lives in the Estates that has been doing the same drive for 15 years so they would likely carpool as much as possible.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

We moved up to Ramona 6 years ago from lakeside. We were house hunting and were looking a clapped out 40+ year old houses that needed a bunch of work to make them look decent. We told our realtor we did not want to move up here strictly based on the drive. She finally convinced us to look up here and we bought our house the first day we were looking. We purchased a 10 year old 2400 sq/ft home with just under an acre of property, new pool and landscape, new paint inside and out, and new flooring for about $200k cheaper than down in the Lakeside area. We got accustomed to the drive quickly. I told my wife do you want a nice drive to a shitty house or a shitty drive to a nice house. We love the small town feel and atmosphere up here. 

Our only complaint is the drive but it's not a deal breaker. Sounds like you already have a decent commute. If we could afford to own our house in Poway or Blossom Valley we would love it. You just get way more house for the buck up here. My commute is 4 hours a day but it would be the same if I lived down the hill too. We have considered moving to shorten my drive but again its hard to beat the housing prices up here. There are plenty of stores and restaurants up here to where you dont need to run down the hill for everything. And if you work down the hill it's easy enough to grab stuff on your way back up. 

Best of luck on the house !

Nice to get out of the ghetto!

I'm in Julian now so we shop and drive through Ramona often.  The apartments have caused an awful El Cajon feel along main street at times and the traffic kinda sucks during the peakest commute times.

But if you can get away from main street and verify what your neighbors are, it seems pretty nice.

The Estates seem cool.  Reminds me of the neighborhood I grew up in (up the street from Marshall Scottys)

Go for some land!

You'll love the sticks:

1. Locking doors?  LOL.  No tweekers walking door to door as it takes 15 minutes to do so, and anyone walking without a dog is cause for concern.

2. Darkness.  No lights means easier to sleep, can see the stars, and #1 is less practical at night.  You'll get used to, and once you do you'll never want to go back.

3. Somewhere to store a flatbed. :bigrin 

One thing to do is keep an eye on the future.  Between downtown and San Diego is going to see suburban/urban sprawl as downtown Ramona grows and Poway spreads.  You may end up that nice country house with the big lot surrounded by apartments like you see all over Spring Valley, Lemon Grove, El Cajon, etc.  Pay attention to the land itself, proximity to major roads, etc.  Flat land with easy access to a major road is nice now, but you could be surrounded by apartments if your neighbors all sell out to a developer.  Also, with SB 827 coming through, probably a good idea to stay away from any bus stops or places likely to have one:

https://la.curbed.com/2018/4/10/17178288/california-senate-bill-827-transit-zoning-los-angeles

Unless you want to channel your inner Walt Kowalski... :bigrin 

I grew up in Ramona and have lived here the last 30 years.  I feel it’s a great place to raise kids. A lot of friends moved away front Ramona after high school but a lot of them moved back once they got married and started having kids. When we first moved to Ramona we lived  8 miles outside of town near golden eagle horse ranch on 14 acres. Awesome place to grow up! Around Middle school we moved to the west end of town off Mussey grade rd. It was also a great place in my opinion. As kids we used to ride bikes down to dos picos park and go fishing in the summer almost daily. I bought my first house on the east side about a mile outside of town off Keyes Rd.  It was a nice place but it was on a busy street and I didn’t like the cars flying by the front of the house. About 6 years ago we bought a house in Rancho San vicente (Ryland homes) they call them just on the outskirts of the estates. Very happy here. Quiet at night and very safe with great neighbors. I have 1.3 acres and plenty of room to park whatever I need. We’re able to drive our golf cart into the estates and visit family, take the kids to the park and go get a meal at the Country club on the San Vicente golf course. You can drive all over the estates in golf carts. Feel free to hit me up with any questions or recommendations. 

1 hour ago, Lowvoltsd said:

I grew up in Ramona and have lived here the last 30 years.  I feel it’s a great place to raise kids. A lot of friends moved away front Ramona after high school but a lot of them moved back once they got married and started having kids. When we first moved to Ramona we lived  8 miles outside of town near golden eagle horse ranch on 14 acres. Awesome place to grow up! Around Middle school we moved to the west end of town off Mussey grade rd. It was also a great place in my opinion. As kids we used to ride bikes down to dos picos park and go fishing in the summer almost daily. I bought my first house on the east side about a mile outside of town off Keyes Rd.  It was a nice place but it was on a busy street and I didn’t like the cars flying by the front of the house. About 6 years ago we bought a house in Rancho San vicente (Ryland homes) they call them just on the outskirts of the estates. Very happy here. Quiet at night and very safe with great neighbors. I have 1.3 acres and plenty of room to park whatever I need. We’re able to drive our golf cart into the estates and visit family, take the kids to the park and go get a meal at the Country club on the San Vicente golf course. You can drive all over the estates in golf carts. Feel free to hit me up with any questions or recommendations. 

We live in the Ryland homes too

Posted (edited)

Glad you posted this. Wife and I are looking to move from downtown El Cajon to somewhere with a little land and more privacy. Been looking at Santee, lakeside, crest, alpine, jamul.  Haven’t really considered Ramona due to the drive. Looked at a house in ryland and we like it, still unsure on the drive though, and we’ve been hoping for no HOA.  Still a lot of house for the money. 

Interested to to hear any more opinions. Sorry for the hijack. 

Edited by xtracrispy

Beka says to check the Facebook 'Ramona Deals TS' group. She says rentals come up often.

PM Screamin Ian, he isn’t on the board much but lives up there. He will give you the 411

Those of you in the Estates; what’s the HOA like? I’ve always sworn I’d never live in an HOA community due to the many horror stories I’ve heard about them but we’re going to look at a place in the northern part today and want to get feedback on it. 

So far I’ve found that we seem to like the area south of 67/Main St and west of San Vicente Rd the most. There is a property off Cook St/San Diego Ave that we really like and like that area in general.

I've been here in The Estates for 18 years.  I love it.  Nights are dark. Skies are beautiful.  It is kinda like the old Moreno Valley I grew up in.  Main Street gets a lot more action from different folks.

The HOA in the estates is hit and miss. It is way cheaper than most places down the hill, but they are selective on how they enforce the rules.  The roads are actually under county jurisdiction, so you can leave almost anything there, and unless a neighbor complains and the CHP comes and cites, you can do what you want.  The minute you move anything onto your lot, HOA can mess with you.  Most people keep things acceptably clean.

I commute to PQ, and my wife commutes to Encinitas /Solana Beach/ Rancho Santa Fe, and we take turns shuttling a kid to Chula Vista several days a week.  We're used to that drive.  We committed to it from the get go.  However, now that our youngest will be a sophomore in HS, we started talking about looking into a place where we could walk to a store, a bar, fun stuff, etc.  If you are into hiking and trail sports, there is a ton of stuff here, but both of us drive so much during the week, we kinda like not driving during the weekend and on time off.  Not an option if you're here.

Living here has made us appreciate the vacations we take when we can leave the car in the garage for the whole time. It's Sunday.  I needed a car smogged.  There are tons of places in town to do that, none of them open.  I had to drive down to Poway.

No Movie Theater.  The old one still hosts Midget Wrestling.  If you're a foodie, you'll die a slow death. 

When your friends come for BBQ, they can't drink, because they have 40 minute drive home or they are sleeping on your couch.

Lot to love here.  Generally good people.  I'll wipe a few tears if we move.

Mike

I don’t.

Closed on our first house this past Monday. We ended up in the Estates after all, lol!

BF881AA0-D3CA-4767-8A42-2FDCFB137336.jpeg

Righteous looking pad, congrats

Looks great and like the low maintenance front yard!, how about the backyard?????

Ballin out!!! Nice!

Do you have livestock?

Congratulations on the new house 

Congrats! I know exactly where that house is. It’s about a mile from where we live in the Ryland homes. 

4 hours ago, ElCaminoManT said:

Closed on our first house this past Monday. We ended up in the Estates after all, lol!

BF881AA0-D3CA-4767-8A42-2FDCFB137336.jpeg

Is that the house on the corner by the equestrian center? If so I am real close to there as well. I drive by all the time

6 hours ago, Sumsand said:

Looks great and like the low maintenance front yard!, how about the backyard?????

I’ll have to take some when I get organized. It’s a mess right now.

3 hours ago, Rucker said:

Do you have livestock?

No sir.

1 hour ago, punkur67 said:

Is that the house on the corner by the equestrian center? If so I am real close to there as well. I drive by all the time

Yessir. Corner of Del Amo, Arena, and Gunn Stage.