Sign in to follow this  
r3meyer

Re did the rubber roof on my new to me Monaco

When I bought this coach I knew the roof was going to need some love.  It did not leak but I want to make sure it stays that way.  The skylight had a few micro cracks forming and it looked like the edges has been repaired at some point.  The main purpose of re coating it was so I could get my solar panels up there.  If you look at the before photos you can see how the previous coating was cracking so I am not sure what they actually used.  I was going to put the job off but its been 70 in phoenix, so I decided to knock it out.

While I was at it I removed the Dish Network standard def dish.   I also pulled off the 80w BP solar panel as it would no longer be used in exchange for (3) 245W panels.

I think it turned out pretty good and should last a long time.  For those curious I used Hengs rubber roof coating.  Very good reviews.  Sprayed off the roof and then came back with a bucket of laundry soap and water and scrubbed it down.  Then another good rinse.  Let it dry.  Did all the edges with a brush and then used a 3/8 nap roller.  Let it dry for 4 hours and then hit it with a second coat.  Took 2 gallons to do the 40' coach.  So about $200 with all the lap sealant, erthabond tap, and roof coating.

d.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

58027455655__34116659-282D-44FE-AE8A-48D1A5A3AAE0.JPG

58032827184__565CE97D-8861-443F-B701-8688E3223A50.JPG

looks good

Looks great!!!

I should do the same thing, thanks for the post.  BTW tell me more about your solar and controller!  Got a 2006 40' pusher too

How did you fasten the solar panel to the roof?

25 minutes ago, ladsm said:

Drywall screws. Did my install a year ago and no issues.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I should do the same thing, thanks for the post.  BTW tell me more about your solar and controller!  Got a 2006 40' pusher too

I will be doing a another post with my electrical upgrades here shortly.  Lots of goodies.  The panels are 245w@ 36V panels.  I will wire them in parallel.  So 735W @ 36v = 20amps.  These are used panels and they will almost never get 100% of what they are rated.  The old solar panel was wired with 8awg cable.  So plenty big to bring down the 20amps.  I am using Victrons 100v 50amp controller with bluetooth to convert it over to 12v.  I should get 40-60amps of power on a sunny day.  I am hooking that up today.

There is a company here in AZ (Gilbert) that gets used panels by the truck load.  These all had "snail trails" on them.  They don't affect the performance but cannot be sold as perfect.  They sell them for $45 each.  So my 3 panels were $135.  My brother who lives in South Dakota actually found them as he is building a house and wants to be off grid.  I was shocked at how stupid cheap they are.

http://www.santansolar.com/deals/

Edited by r3meyer

31 minutes ago, ladsm said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-4-Pcs-Solar-Panel-Z-Bracket-Brackets-Mounting-Mount-RV-Boat-Flat-Roof-Wall/163031952889?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=462283148400&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Comes with hardware.  I used the supplied self tappers on the panels and then lap sealant and 1" screws to mount on the roof. 

Didn't replace the satellite, how will you watch supercross in the desert???

29 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

Drywall screws. Did my install a year ago and no issues.

Please tell me this is sarcasm!?

Did you at least use stainless drywall screws?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, evantwheeler said:

the head of a  regular drywall screw  is self releasing above 75mph to help jettison the panels when you need more passing power to get around the CHP officer that is driving too slowly,   the SS version releases at 85MPH

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

44 minutes ago, evantwheeler said:

Would it be better if I called them all purpose screws?

17 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

Drywall screws have minimal coating to prevent rust as intended for indoor use only.

My first thought was "Wow, they are going to rust stain that white roof top".

You know how "technical" we can get around here in the off-season in particular :lol:

16 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

I dunno, just kinda made me cringe when I read that.  I've done lots of work on the roof and inside of my pusher and there isn't a single location where drywall screws would be my choice of fastener.  

These are what I use to fasten anything on the roof:

https://www.mcmaster.com/stainless-steel-screws  - part # 

91675A359

Pre-drill through the gelcoat, place lap sealant under feet, set feet, and a dab of lap sealant under the head of the screw and tighten. 

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

3 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Drywall screws have minimal coating to prevent rust as intended for indoor use only.

My first thought was "Wow, they are going to rust stain that white roof top".

You know how "technical" we can get around here in the off-season in particular :lol:

The old company I worked at installed over 150 residential solar array's and on every one of them we used all stainless steel hardware to attach the panels to the aluminum rails we also used stainless steel lag screws to attach to the roof.

Now I know the reason.

Just now, evantwheeler said:

I dunno, just kinda made me cringe when I read that.  I've done lots Pre-drill through the gelcoat, place lap sealant under feet, set feet, and a dab of lap sealant under the head of the screw and tighten. 

That's exactly what I did per the instructions in the the kit I bought from @socaldmax which included the screws and lap sealant.

Lap sealant first then the coating?

Thanks for posting this. My mom has an older Alfa 5th wheel up by Idyllwild that needs to have the roof coated. This last winter was particularly harsh on it and it needs attention in a pretty bad way.

Looks good!

I used Liquid Roof/Rubber on mine. It was twice as much as what you spent but worked very well. I sealed around the edges with the rubber tape first and then just painted it over all of it.

Need to do mine . How many mils thick would you think it is ? 

Posted (edited)

Also interested in this. I just got my first "RV" and am going over a few things to make sure 1) its road worthy and sealed, and 2) I don't run in to any issues this monsoon season. To make sure I don't hijack, I have started a new thread about it here.

Edited by RideSand

On 5/27/2019 at 8:47 AM, chopshop said:

Need to do mine . How many mils thick would you think it is ? 

I am not sure.  But the 2 coats was plenty and that shit is sticky!

Posted (edited)

I used the Hengs on my 5th wheel in Quartzsite. Had to re-do it every two or 3 years.  Not sure how long the expensive stuff would last, but I would expect double or triple that..  Very happy with it though, good stuff..

Edited by amcf18
missing words