g-mo

2005 ford 6.0 headstuds

hi, ive been looking for a used truck and I see a lot of 05/06 6.0 superdutys for 6/10k  but ive heard about the headgasket and egr problems. can anyone tell me what the average cost is to replace the headstuds and egr?

btw, I have a 2012 rzr xp900 with 307 miles on it that I bought bran new and only used it like 3 times. I put it up on  craigslist and some guy is willing to trade a 2006 6.0 superduty  4x4 but I'm not too sure about it, he says he already replaced the headgaskets but didn't do the studs while it was apart. any opinions?

From what I have been told it's about a $10K investment to make the 6.0 bulletproof.

Even without that information tell the guy trying to trade you something that the only thing your trading for is pictures of dead presidents. (aka Legal Tender)

If the thing is such a great deal and you think your going to sell it faster or make more money your wrong.  The other guy isn't that dumb he's giving you a head ache hoping that what your giving him isn't one.

Remember he is not that dumb. Don't take the trade.

From someone that's gone though ALL OF IT, I have 300k on my 6.0 and it runs flawlessly... Like MWB said, to completely Bulletproof the entire motor you're looking at about $10k. DO NOT go to a fly by night or cheap shop... Take it to Bulletproof and have them do it if you're going that  route. 

1) EGR cooler

2) Oil cooler bypass with new bed plate and remote filter

3) Studs and high compression steel head gaskets

4) External oil cooler

5) Bulletproof FICM 

6) Good gauge cluster(digital is better)

7) Refurb or replace turbo 

There's a bunch of stuff that goes into these including taking the cab off to make it easier

my 2005 6.0 was a horrible truck, for the money the 6.7 will be a cheaper truck in the end, my 6.7 with 127,000 needed one o ring for the turbo oil line, and one intake tube about $100

My 6.0 tried 2 Factory FiCM, then went to a built proof FICM,

Issue with the Wire Harness, 3 Factory Oil Coolrer, 2 Factory EGR coolers, then Deleted them, so without a tuner it had a constant engine light, makes it fun to smog, 2 sets of head gaskets then went to studs,

issue with back header stud leaking, New Radiator at 80K-miles, in the shop twice for injectors, then High pressure Fuel sensor when it goes bad the truck goes wacky, with electrical issues, so always keep a spare,  then at 110K miles the IPOP went out, replaced and went out again 10K later, was a fight on the warranty, and still had to come out of pocket, the Truck would also blow the Turbo boot on the aluminum intake, so need to have a spare all the time, needed 4 injectors,  and did a regular fuel filter change and still had all these issues, and has a fuel filter issue, if not changed with a Ford Filter it would have power issues, 

WHY go into all these issue with a 6.0 even turned up, it is way less power, than a 6.7,   I turned the truck into Carmax after putting around $15,000 in the motor, over a 4 year period, that is about $500 a month,  The Truck was a Lariat-2 super clean flawless paint and interior, 2'' leveling kit, and ford offered 7K for the truck with 115Kmiles  CarMax gave 9K ,

this truck was a total waist of money

wow, thanks for all the replies. I guess I wont trade,  I knew the 6.0 had problems but didn't think it was that expensive to fix them.   I think I will look for a an 05/07 gas truck then, I really don't need a diesel but to me the 05/07 had the best looking bodystyle

Don't buy a 6.4 Ford either, same as the 6.0 but different problems and more of them, plus the  entire cab comes off for even the most basic repairs. It's the most expensive truck to keep on the road ever imo, and it gets 11-13 mpg empty at best IF you can keep your foot out of it. Wish I would have just kept pouring money into my 7.3 

14 minutes ago, 2turbofords said:

Don't buy a 6.4 Ford either, same as the 6.0 but different problems and more of them, plus the  entire cab comes off for even the most basic repairs. It's the most expensive truck to keep on the road ever imo, and it gets 11-13 mpg empty at best IF you can keep your foot out of it. Wish I would have just kept pouring money into my 7.3 

The 6.4, the only affordable diesel on the market.  You can get one with 80K on the odometer for the same price as you can a clapped out 200K mile Chevy or 300K Dodge 

have multiply people I know with 250-350k miles on the 6.7 motor with only a oil change or a new AC compressor, solid engine  

They are all stupid expensive to fix. If yore not towing a 40ft trailer, you are money ahead gas motor in 2019.  Diesels cost more to drive and maintain as compared to the 7.3 and 12 valve days. I have a 7.3 and a 6.0 the 7.3 is not a power monster, but parts are cheap and easy to fix. 6.0 is really hard to diagnose properly. Alot of mechanics throw parts at them. This is 70% of their bad reputation. But yes they have problems

thanks for all the replies, i ended up getting a duramax LML