Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Picked up a shredded belt in my rear trailing arm last trip. Everyone smelled burning rubber. 

Got to pretend I had a sxs for a few min getting that torn up crap out of axle and brake area.

Please pick up those belts and pieces of belts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Grease Monkey said:

Picked up a shredded belt in my rear trailing arm last trip. Everyone smelled burning rubber. 

Got to pretend I had a sxs for a few min getting that torn up crap out of axle and brake area.

Please pick up those belts and pieces of belts.

Yes I agree , broken belts are everywhere yet everyone always says they pick up their broken belts. What's it cost for a belt these days? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

Yes I agree , broken belts are everywhere yet everyone always says they pick up their broken belts. What's it cost for a belt these days? 

 

This year was not nearly as bad as the prior dune season.   Most of the belt littering seems to be in the areas near Olds.  

Belts run around $190 for OEM stuff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$190 for a belt? Yikes! A 2D and 930s may not be so bad afterall. :rotf:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

1st belt I changed out on my X3 at 1500ish miles.   The next belt lasted 800 or so miles.  It went into pieces doing 90mph across a dry lake bed.   Never felt like the second belt was going to last long.  Current belt has over 600 miles and still going.

Only blown one belt in the dunes and that was when I had my XP1000.  That belt had 2500 miles on it when it went boom. 

As Mega said your right foot determines belt life.   The problem with the turbo cars are its hard to keep your right foot from mashing it because it is so fun.

 

My friend with a 4 seat Turbo S took out his first belt at 900ish miles.  Last the dunes season on stock tire.  The belt went boom when he was doing 80+mph across a dry lake bed.

The lesson is don't stomp on it on a dry lake bed!

Stock Can Am replacement belt I assume?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

Stock Can Am replacement belt I assume?

Yep.  I only use the OEM belts.  Have yet to see any of the magic aftermarket belts perform better.   

2 broken belts over 5 1/2 years and 9000 miles is not bad.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both my RZR's first one Non Turbo and second one Turbo Never changed the Belt...When they were sold they both had 1200 miles or so on them with stock belts still..I only go to Glamis twice a year probably helped that out..But I always took Lots of time breaking the Belts in and when at Glamis always went about 15min of Hard duning then stopped to cool the Belt...Not saying this is the Right way or wrong way but it is what worked for me ....My friends 2015 Turbo Can am goes thru belts like clock work at 30 hours..No matter where we ride..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, fortyfour said:

$190 for a belt? Yikes! A 2D and 930s may not be so bad afterall. :rotf:

But can you fix your 2D in the dunes?   LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

But can you fix your 2D in the dunes?   LOL!

I couldn't fix my 2D in the dunes because my car doesn't use a 2D. I  could however replace a cv joint if need be. You guys would be done with your belt swap sooner though, maybe before I could get everyone unbuckled and out of the car. It's all good, nothin wrong with a little summer humor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 12:16 PM, Sand Shark said:

Yep.  I only use the OEM belts.  Have yet to see any of the magic aftermarket belts perform better.   

2 broken belts over 5 1/2 years and 9000 miles is not bad.   

 How much of this time and miles were spent in the dunes that seems to be where the belts get eaten up as you have stated in the past in regards to traction  Issue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DEV'S RZR said:

 How much of this time and miles were spent in the dunes that seems to be where the belts get eaten up as you have stated in the past in regards to traction  Issue 

A would say 80% of the miles are dune miles.   Although with my X3 dirt miles will catch the dunes miles.  Seems the dirt rides are 100+ miles day rides and way more if it over several days.   I blew my XP belt in the dunes and my X3 belt in the dirt. 

The turbo cars are going to go through belts.  It is hard to keep the right foot under control when you feel the rush of the turbo kick in.  

I would talk to Airdam (Adam Harvey) about how to get your clutches dialed in so you are not killing belts. 

http://airdamclutches.com/

He is guru with clutches and the go to guy for a majority of the desert race UTV teams. 

     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info I will be calling soon. I'm 100% SAND driver of this machine witch seems to be the worst for belts . Nice thing it is easy to change in the dunes . I only got 205 miles on the last belt . This is very concerning to me as I consider my self as a moderate dunner ...

Edited by DEV'S RZR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 9:00 AM, Grease Monkey said:

Picked up a shredded belt in my rear trailing arm last trip. Everyone smelled burning rubber. 

Got to pretend I had a sxs for a few min getting that torn up crap out of axle and brake area.

Please pick up those belts and pieces of belts.

Not from a Yamaha....... :bigrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RK Racing said:

Not from a Yamaha....... :bigrin

Welcome back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Grease Monkey said:

Welcome back.

r u sure ? :bigrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2019 at 1:01 AM, DEV'S RZR said:

Thanks for the info I will be calling soon. I'm 100% SAND driver of this machine witch seems to be the worst for belts . Nice thing it is easy to change in the dunes . I only got 205 miles on the last belt . This is very concerning to me as I consider my self as a moderate dunner ...

Devin, since you're always in the dunes and driving in every season, have you noticed that belts last an even shorter period of time in the summer heat?

Edited by Phoenix7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I haven’t noticed the belt longevity being any different in the winter or the summer .  

D4B97D72-0611-45A7-AF3A-179AC8187A31.jpeg

9E0629BF-466D-4E41-951C-0E211C115D89.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...