Grease Monkey

For all you hard working mofo's

Ain't that the truth!

<--- Been known to work..

ya what he said

Earned what I have :crusty:

Absolutely 

Same here... only problem now is having  the time to spend with Momma. Life is so damn short... don't waste time, they brought you into this world and that is enough for me. 

I was kicked out at 17 and homeless living in my truck, sleeping at the job and taking showers at the beach parking lot in cold water. I grew from there.   Everything I have I have worked my ass off for and have to continue to do so. I’m proud as hell of having a good work ethic, one of my best qualities. I salute you men and women who do the same.

And I’m blessed that my parents kicked my ass out, it taught me a lesson of how to fend for myself. 

Posted (edited)

Do you like that Democrat running for President that wants to give everyone in the US $1000. per month from the day they are born until they die?  What a joke he is. DON~~~

Edited by donparscale
spelling

GM...……………..Well said!! Got my degree from the school of hard knocks! Peace

I would have liked inheriting money but that did not happen. There is a certain satisfaction in doing it yourself. I had parents that taught me and demonstrated the value of working hard, I really respect others that have made it and are not that fortunate  - "Self made" is not under rated in my opinion.

My parents struggled with money my whole childhood. We moved a lot ( every time the rent was raised ). My parents had many jobs and sometimes no jobs. I was out on my own at the age of 16 and never looked back. I never lived in a house until I bought one of my own. I may not have received an inheritance when my mom passed, but I did get an education of what not to do. I worked my butt off, still working my butt off. Same job for 25 years, moved once in the past 20 years, 1 kid in college and 1 is a senior in HS. No debt, and planning for an early retirement. I try to tell my kids that other than the lottery, there is no shortcut, hard work will always pay off in the end. And with todays generation, you can certainly get ahead faster if you work hard as no one seems to want to put in the time and effort anymore. NO.. there is not an app for that !

16 hours ago, B0NES said:

I was kicked out at 17 and homeless living in my truck, sleeping at the job and taking showers at the beach parking lot in cold water. I grew from there.   Everything I have I have worked my ass off for and have to continue to do so. I’m proud as hell of having a good work ethic, one of my best qualities. I salute you men and women who do the same.

And I’m blessed that my parents kicked my ass out, it taught me a lesson of how to fend for myself. 

Do you feel it was necessary for them to kick you out in order to learn that lesson?

The way I see it is: you can work hard, or you can work smart.

The guy digging the pool with the shovel for minimum wage is working hard, and he'll never get rich. In CA , he'll never even live comfortably.

The guy who wrote the Snapchat app made $4B. That was easy money.

My mom quit working before I was born and devoted her life to saving, investing and clipping coupons. She amassed an estate of roughly $1M by saving my father's and stepfather's meager Navy paychecks. Her favorite saying to me was, "It's admirable to be hard working, but smart people make their money work for them."

There are many ways to skin a cat. Some are messier than others, some are more elegant and require less work. 

33 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Do you feel it was necessary for them to kick you out in order to learn that lesson?

if the parents were the enablers for his laziness or lack of motivation ? then I would say the answer is yes. 

Working hard and working smart is what pays off in the long run.  I graduated college with zero debt because I was working my butt off during those years, and never even thought I was really working that hard.  The people I see nowadays that are doing well, don't stop working.  What I mean, the people that aren't as successful are always looking for the next best thing when they have a good thing going, they put themselves at risk too many times, thus end up with periods in their life when there is no money coming in.  Consistent money flow is the key IMHO.

Learn to build a budget, and stick to it.  Put money aside every month for retirement, kids schools, and vacations...………….every little dollar counts.

5 minutes ago, i8sand said:

if the parents were the enablers for his laziness or lack of motivation ? then I would say the answer is yes. 

My experience tells me it's not always that cut and dried. A person is usually either a hard worker, or they're lazy. Yes, hitting rock bottom may spark a sudden urgency to get one's shit together, but that person ultimately made that decision and performed the work to get their shit together, so I'm not too inclined to give too much credit to those who put up artificial barriers. Maybe he was already a hard worker, and throwing him out only delayed his start in life.

One could throw their kid out on the streets, or one could co-sign for a business loan for the kid to start his own business. I would salute the parent who helped their kid get his business started. Sure, starting from scratch and doing it all on your own sounds more heroic, but lots of successful businesses started out with a loan. 

My parents pressured me to get good grades, but it wasn't necessary. It was MY natural intellect that actually scored 98-100% on those tests. I was the one who was #1 in all of my classes and scored the SAT scores and was accepted into all of the universities that I applied to. None of their words or actions made any difference in that. Just because a parent pushes doesn't mean they needed to push.

My parents tried the same thing with my sister and she told them to eff off. (Different generation.) She also graduated with honors, just not as high as mine.

Remembering all of the shitty crap my stepdad did to me (like stealing my college fund and throwing me out right after graduation) made me bitter towards him and at his funeral, I had to explain to the vultures who attended that his name was not Jack (short for jackass) nor was it Dick, (short for dickhead.) I call them vultures because not one of them was a personal friend. They were all customers of his who were demanding their partially restored cars back. Strangely enough, they all claimed to have brought more parts than were actually there.

Later, I helped my step kids with their start out in life. They each got 2 old cars, all of the kitchen appliances, living room furniture and bedroom furniture. We bought all new after they each left (about 8 yrs apart.) We taught them to work hard and fend for themselves, then gave them a little boost out into the world and they took off just fine. With the exception of extremely lazy or terminally tarded, I never understood the need to throw a kid out on the streets.

I attended my ex-wife's celebration of life yesterday and my step kids did not invite either of their own fathers. They invited me and all of Susie's girlfriends. Both of them thanked me for being such a great stepdad and I was surprised how many of Susie's GFs came up to me and thanked me for being so good to Susie and the kids. I'm very grateful for that and very proud of how they turned out.

37 minutes ago, Cookie said:

Working hard and working smart is what pays off in the long run.  I graduated college with zero debt because I was working my butt off during those years, and never even thought I was really working that hard.  The people I see nowadays that are doing well, don't stop working.  What I mean, the people that aren't as successful are always looking for the next best thing when they have a good thing going, they put themselves at risk too many times, thus end up with periods in their life when there is no money coming in.  Consistent money flow is the key IMHO.

Learn to build a budget, and stick to it.  Put money aside every month for retirement, kids schools, and vacations...………….every little dollar counts.

All excellent advice!

I followed the budget advice for a long time, then I temporarily forgot it and my expenses rose as my income rose. Then I wised up again and changed cell provider, TV provider, ISP and cut way back on utilities and actually reduced my budget smaller than original, despite huge hikes in electricity and water costs.

One of the best tactics I used to quickly get out of debt was to transfer all of my CC balances over to 0% cards for a yr. I hammered the principal and after 12 mos., I only owed a little on one card, so I transferred that to a new card and hammered some more. Not having to pay any more interest was a HUGE savings and allowed me to be debt free in about 15 mos. with a big boost in credit rating and ready to buy a house.

3 hours ago, Cookie said:

Yes sir ! If you don't live on budget then you are pissing money away every month that you have no idea where it is going. People are afraid to budget because they think it is restrictive. It is actually the opposite as it gives you permission to spend with money you actually have, Not the banks money in the form of an 18% Credit card. 

2 hours ago, badgas said:

Yes sir ! If you don't live on budget then you are pissing money away every month that you have no idea where it is going. People are afraid to budget because they think it is restrictive. It is actually the opposite as it gives you permission to spend with money you actually have, Not the banks money in the form of an 18% Credit card. 

Couldn't agree more, one other thing I preach to my kids, is have the fewest monthly bills possible.  Just because you can afford the monthly payment doesn't mean you have to have it.  I work with a lot of 20-30 year olds, and they pay monthly memberships to multiple Gyms, Spotify, Hulu and so on...…………….they add up quickly.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:54 PM, Grease Monkey said:

image.png

Jeez I should send this image to my 2 sons.  Maybe that would light a fire under their ass.

Unless you father invented the machine that makes Cheetoes…………...get you aiss to work! Peace

On 6/17/2019 at 11:05 AM, i8sand said:

No I have never been lazy. I was kicked out because I did what I wanted and didn’t follow rules.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:30 AM, socaldmax said:

No but it made me grow up faster. 

Hoping to retire again this time next year.  And to not have work schedule to follow after that.  Maybe something part time I like to do ....

I had a bad attitude  when I was in high school and I was going to live and do it my way no matter what.

Thanks to the military for showing me the error of my ways. They helped me establish a hard work and can do 

work ethic with an education .

I have had long and successful career in retail and now retired. My wife and I have two 

successful children and we are enjoying their families and our four grandchildren.