Sign in to follow this  
John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Anyone can do concrete, how about 15,000# boulders? My home Project

Posted (edited)

So As you know I have been looking for an excavator for a while, 20  Ton or so,   for some small projects I have been thinking about.  So I rented this one for 2 days  I requested a Deere 200D but they only had this 225D "and" it had rubber tracks so it opened up some more ideas as the boulders I would have liked to move are too heavy to pick up or push, but I can pull them into position (up a slope).  so look what I did..................

first I widened some areas that where too narrow (alternate drive way) and my turn around loop,   Then I was dropping this 4 foot diameter tree stump from 15 feet high to take off some extra weigh as I need to dispose of it at some point

I got some flat rocks down the street 200 feet away  they are 1foot thick and about 10 feet in diameter.  this is my instant floor, 2 large and two small ones and im going to piece them together and make a terrace down a small hill side in front of my house.  Going to cut my grass out the front doors and make a stair

20190531_070111.jpg

20190531_103033.jpg

20190601_072753.jpg

20190531_142111.jpg

20190531_142523.jpg

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

here is the basic concept/view.  curved stairs will come down the hillside, terrace will be to the left, small stair case to the right going out to the garden.  All big rocks are moved, I can do small 3-4k rocks with my mini.  Will be leveling out the big flat rocks over the next few weeks.

20190601_072612.jpg

Looks like  a great project. Love stuff like this.

What will the stairs be made of?

Just now, TD said:

Looks like  a great project. Love stuff like this.

What will the stairs be made of?

through the grass will be stamped concrete, not sure yet with texture or maybe some stone,  suggestions welcomed

a few more pics

20190601_073831.jpg

20190601_074935.jpg

Posted (edited)

:headbang:

That's all I have to say...

:lmao:

Edited by dbart

I wonder if you could do the stairs in stamped concrete to match the walkway?  I have stamped concrete in my drive way and I love it. DON~~~

Driveway 046.JPG

35 minutes ago, donparscale said:

I wonder if you could do the stairs in stamped concrete to match the walkway?  I have stamped concrete in my drive way and I love it. DON~~~

Driveway 046.JPG

Anything can be done, all it takes is money.

The bigger the stack the easier it is to say we can do that.

That's a serious yard!

Looks good! Love rock gardens.

fyi rubber grouser pads not rubber tracks 

looks good

Beautiful property. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bansh88 said:

That's a serious yard!

5 acres,  330'X550' and a flag pole extension.   in the one corner is my wife's garden, 64X64 feet,  and within the garden is a 16x32 chicken coop, she wants the chickens to roam the garden eating bugs and crapping,  then shell put them away.  Right now we are borrowing the neighbors two goats for weed control.  I'm fencing the whole thing, 10 feet high and then will have custom 2 mesh netting for the top for bird control.

when my wife and I get old, we will be self sufficient, 60 panel solar, 2 wells, Chicken, fruit and vegetables, pond, My wife wants fish so ill need to dig the pond deeper.  Im just not slaughtering live stock

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, 918rhino said:

Beautiful property. 

Thank you! I have planted over 150 trees in the last year all 24" box but mostly 36" box trees, some 48" box tree.  Pine, magnolia, chitalpa, Olive, shoe string acacia, pistache, golden rain, crape myrtle, African sumac, Pepper,  Brazilian pepper, Melaleuca, Peach, Plum, Apricot, Almond, Australian willow, Purple plum (ornamental)&, Ornamental Plum (non fruit bearing), Camphor, liquid Amber. White Alder, Sycamor,  avacodo (5 types) Orange trees (5 types), grapefruit, silk oak

36" box trees are $600-700 each, but having time I look for crazy deals.  I paid between $150 and 300 for all 36" trees.  my favorite two are the African Sumac at my entrance.  They were 48" box trees typically $1000-1300 each.  I paid $475!  I have 25 more trees coming on a semi this Wednesday.  with the mini x and the skid steer I can do two trees an hour with a helper!  I buy 20 yards of planter mix at a time and mix it 50/50 with good native soil.

this property is just miles away from the back side of camp Pendleton, 2100 feet high 

53 minutes ago, I'm Sorry said:

fyi rubber grouser pads not rubber tracks 

looks good

You are correct, Im a newbie, My mini has rubber tracks!

1 hour ago, Air450 said:

Looks good! Love rock gardens.

My mini Yosemite, rocks and trees are Sexy!  I have a prized Oak tree in the back yard, 5 feet in diameter, 7 main branches. guessing 300 years old and super green! 

Looks like it's gonna be great!

Nice work, I absolutely love your house And property! Gonna do a path  all the way to the  pond?  

well I need some dirt left so when I get my own excavator and can still do some hot laps!

our plan is to make the pond a little bigger, ill bring the pond "to my house"  in the third pic on the first post where the vinyl fence meets and chain link there is a huge 4feet diameter semi underground pipe that brings all rain water from all the hill sides through my property,  it fills the pond naturally, then goes by the garden and out through my neighbors yard.  once its to the shape I will put a liner in it.  Been thinking of putting a real windmill in, I found one brand new with 8 foot blade, 29 foot tall. http://ironmanwindmill.com/

$6k, then I would need to drill a 100 foot 8" well.  Last one I drilled,  we hit water at 40 feet!  its sole purpose would be is to  keep the pond up.  talking about being self reliant, even if the power grid goes down and I run out of diesel I could take a shower every afternoon when the wind pics up!

Very Nice..Big Rocks are Cool..

Love the windmill idea. Works and would look cool.

I also love your rocks. I wish I could move some of mine as easily as you can.

1 minute ago, HappyW/VForce said:

Love the windmill idea. Works and would look cool.

I also love your rocks. I wish I could move some of mine as easily as you can.

Sunbelt rentals LOL

so the weekend counts as one day (8 hours)  so I rented it for Friday and the weekend, 2 days/16 hours.  with taxes, delivery both ways and rental it was going to be $1800ish

as you know I really don't work on Sunday so I needed to use up my 16 hours by sat night. (Sunday would only be if the Ox was in the mire) .  sunbelt calls me up on Friday and asks me when i'm going to be done.  I'm like, you can pick it up Monday morning as planned.  they said they really needed it and would like to know if I would be done sat night for a special Sunday morning pick up.   If, so they would make it worth it.  OK I said.  Looks like they had a long term rental but needed it Sunday.  I just got the discount and looks like $500 off  Woot-Woot!  guess it pays not to work on Sundays  LOL

John do you own the skid steer?

yes, 326 deere 2013

23 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Sunbelt rentals LOL

so the weekend counts as one day (8 hours)  so I rented it for Friday and the weekend, 2 days/16 hours.  with taxes, delivery both ways and rental it was going to be $1800ish

as you know I really don't work on Sunday so I needed to use up my 16 hours by sat night. (Sunday would only be if the Ox was in the mire) .  sunbelt calls me up on Friday and asks me when i'm going to be done.  I'm like, you can pick it up Monday morning as planned.  they said they really needed it and would like to know if I would be done sat night for a special Sunday morning pick up.   If, so they would make it worth it.  OK I said.  Looks like they had a long term rental but needed it Sunday.  I just got the discount and looks like $500 off  Woot-Woot!  guess it pays not to work on Sundays  LOL

Probally had to be on the job site by Monday first light. Sunbelt had to get it back to there yard and do the prep before they could put it on the truck for Sunday nights drop off's.