Sign in to follow this  
858surveyor

Window or no window

Re-doing some body work on the car and contemplating adding a window.  Thoughts on those that have or have had a car with a window.  Pros and cons. 

“Sunroof”???

Windshield maybe? Love mine

I'm guessing he's talking about a windshield? If so, I never had one but a couple of my buddies did. 

Pros: Keeping wind down, keeping dust down, warmer to drive in cold weather

Cons: Hard to see when it rains ( even using rain-x ), wet dirt sticks to the windshield so constantly stopping to clean, if you don't vent your roof the air in the car will swirl around and get trapped causing it to get stuffy and stagnant

Sorry I didnt make that clearer. A front windshield. I like the wind in my face but not getting sand blasted hahahha. I'm torn between having one and not

If you have a windshield you're going to need a full Hood, can't have one without the other I don't think. spend the extra coin for curved glass it looks and works so much better and then your knuckles don't hit the  glass when your whipping the steering wheel... curved glass and aluminum frame is going to cost you about a thousand bucks, expect to pay the same for a nice looking curvy hood, the better the shop the less dzus fasteners they will use and you will see from the front. 

Another thing to consider is how adding a windshield will affect airflow to the radiator. 

Love mine!

I love mine. But like others have said it may effect the cooling of the engine. There's a  car in our camp that has to watch the temp gauge when he has his wind shield installed.

8 hours ago, 2turbofords said:

If you have a windshield you're going to need a full Hood, can't have one without the other I don't think. spend the extra coin for curved glass it looks and works so much better and then your knuckles don't hit the  glass when your whipping the steering wheel... curved glass and aluminum frame is going to cost you about a thousand bucks, expect to pay the same for a nice looking curvy hood, the better the shop the less dzus fasteners they will use and you will see from the front. 

Yes full hood. Changing the hood, adding dash with aem cd7 digital dash, switchpro, my airbag controller, GPS, and radio and was wanting to do curved window as well. Thought about new roof with a scoop for airflow.

I like the openness and connection with the outdoors that I have without having any windshield.  It hasn't even crossed my mind to get one, so I guess I must really be enjoying the experience.

I wouldn't hesitate everyone in my group has a windshield, and would never go without again. I would upgrade the fans if there is Anything better cfm than what u already have. The roof scoop makes a big difference in stopping the swirling air too. I added a small roof scoop for looks , but it dropped 10-15 degrees when running wide open in ocatillo, and my radiator is above the back seats already.

IMG_20181229_154436277_HDR.jpg

10 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

I like the openness and connection with the outdoors that I have without having any windshield.  It hasn't even crossed my mind to get one, so I guess I must really be enjoying the experience.

Yore not going fast enough or following big HP! :lol:

Get a windshield. I'v duned without mine 0 times in 8 years.

I dislike them, but I almost always lead so sand isn't an issue.  I know people that never got car sick until they had a windshield, it does make you feel more confined.  It also reduces visibility take that into account.  I think the little half windshields you seeing on SxS's could be the best of both worlds, it reduces all the wind and sand.

4 hours ago, Cookie said:

I dislike them, but I almost always lead so sand isn't an issue.  I know people that never got car sick until they had a windshield, it does make you feel more confined.  It also reduces visibility take that into account.  I think the little half windshields you seeing on SxS's could be the best of both worlds, it reduces all the wind and sand.

When I'm leading I dont mind at all. But when I'm not and some roost blast you in the face it sucks. My radiator is behind my back seats so I figured I would do a scoop on top to help

20181229_100248.jpg

Posted (edited)

love having a windshield! one of the best perks is not having to wear goggles anymore, just sun glasses now.

air flow to the radiator will only be a factor on a long wide open run (duners diner)

Edited by EMPIRE231

1 hour ago, 858surveyor said:

When I'm leading I dont mind at all. But when I'm not and some roost blast you in the face it sucks. My radiator is behind my back seats so I figured I would do a scoop on top to help

20181229_100248.jpg

Maybe a scoop on the side panels

My friend got his new to him full body car and complained about being physically hotter. While that is a good thing Nov and Dec it not so good early OCT or Mar, Apr. Some of the cars I have seen recently with a windshield have a mesh floor for some air circulation.  

What about a Helmet? Its like your own personal windshield and you get to look like you are going really fast :lol: 

jetjock tried a plexyglass and the dust stuck to it all the time,

real glass love to rock cheap and break,  I am not for one, when I lead I love my sunglasses, but when I follow I just throw on a helmet and let the rocks and sand fly off,  for me I just can not deal with cracked windshields

The DD car uses a factory Dodge Dart so you can order them pretty easy, some have to deal with forming and cutting the glass seems like a pain, I think I would like a front windshield but for me not worth the hassle, I drive the car extremely hard so the cars that have them in our runs break them from rocks or big drop offs or hitting the witch eyes and jumping out of them has cracked a couple, but they keep buying them,     

I put one on my last Desert Dynamics car,  after not having one on it for the first couple years.. I would not build another car one without it, but that's just me.. All of my front end was enclosed except for a small approximately 10" x 10" opening right in the center of the car's lower bulkhead by the floor. I believe it must have been enough to pressurize or equalize cabin pressure , as I never had the swirling  sand, or overheating issue that some have alluded to. I had the windshield for several years, and never had a chip or a break. Maybe I was just lucky.  I know it is critical that your frame holding the glass must align perfectly with the glass, or if it doesn't, you will have constant "side load"  on the glass along the edge, which glass does not like at all..   

Love my windshield, would never want to run without it

Why do most pre runners and dual sports have windshields that pre run in Baja? Because it’s better! 

On 6/7/2019 at 1:25 PM, SCHMIDTY said:

I put one on my last Desert Dynamics car,  after not having one on it for the first couple years.. I would not build another car one without it, but that's just me.. All of my front end was enclosed except for a small approximately 10" x 10" opening right in the center of the car's lower bulkhead by the floor. I believe it must have been enough to pressurize or equalize cabin pressure , as I never had the swirling  sand, or overheating issue that some have alluded to. I had the windshield for several years, and never had a chip or a break. Maybe I was just lucky.  I know it is critical that your frame holding the glass must align perfectly with the glass, or if it doesn't, you will have constant "side load"  on the glass along the edge, which glass does not like at all..   

20190531_170503.thumb.jpg.985dbed358a5d621c214430b3f884fa8.jpg

I was mocking it up so I can see what I want to do so dont mind the cardboard. As you can see in the pic I will have the area on the driver side and passenger side open. I'm not closing it off so I think it will offset the cabin pressure etc.

will never run a car without one.  I have never replaced one due to cracking/rock chips.  I dune with sunglasses I lead alot but still no goggles when I am not.  must for me in any car. 

I have a windshied and a hood.  I have never had a cooling issue with my car.  Works great, and even better it keeps the wife happy.