sausage450r

Punishing the payers in response to the takers

3 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

20 grand a year just for the insurance alone sounds extreme.  Do you work for a company that helps contribute to the costs?

My wife and I are both self employed. Plus I think it has at least a $5000 deductible.

Prayers sent. 

23 hours ago, sausage450r said:

shouting at invisible people

Geeezus it’s crazy buts it’s so entertaining. One in three people walking down the street are having belligerent conversation with nothing.

10 hours ago, surf and dune said:

Call me crazy, but who are you to bitch about the way a private business wants to conduct their business?  Shop somewhere else if you don't like it! ( I've been to Walmart 2x in my life because its not my kind of shopping experience, but it's their choice to run it the way they want).

Walmart is not privately owned, they are a publicly traded corporation. That said, they form policy through a  board based on perceived customer feeling. If enough good people “bitch” or maybe a single minority, they will change policy.  It this day of facial recognition software, they could compile a list of douchetards and refuse them entrance, but that would require an investment, which is always a last but inevitable resort 

Just now, Air450 said:

My wife and I are both self employed. Plus I think it has at least a $5000 deductible.

I hope you and your wife can work it out.  I agree that it really sucks.  

You may want to look into the Aetna "Narrow Network" plans.  My deductible dropped from $7600 to $1500 when I joined Aetna this year, but I admit that I work for a huge company that made Aetna available to the employees.

27 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

Walmart is not privately owned, they are a publicly traded corporation. That said, they form policy through a  board based on perceived customer feeling. If enough good people “bitch” or maybe a single minority, they will change policy.  It this day of facial recognition software, they could compile a list of douchetards and refuse them entrance, but that would require an investment, which is always a last but inevitable resort 

Point is, they "Walmart" can't win. If they have someone check receipts at the exit, which is probably only going to possibly deter thieves and not stop/catch them, then people like you are offended because you have to wait a few more moments. If they use facial recognition software like you suggest, then they would probably get sued because the results would most likely result in a racial disparity....  BTW Frys electronics, Best Buy, and many other private/ public corporations have been doing this for years.  I never thought of it as much of an inconvenience, in fact it seems like the most logical, most cost effective ways to prevent a certain percentage of theft. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, surf and dune said:

Point is, they "Walmart" can't win. If they have someone check receipts at the exit, which is probably only going to possibly deter thieves and not stop/catch them, then people like you are offended because you have to wait a few more moments. If they use facial recognition software like you suggest, then they would probably get sued because the results would most likely result in a racial disparity....  BTW Frys electronics, Best Buy, and many other private/ public corporations have been doing this for years.  I never thought of it as much of an inconvenience, in fact it seems like the most logical, most cost effective ways to prevent a certain percentage of theft. 

They have always had someone at the door; who does absolutely NOTHING as a thief goes by. The only people stopping and showing receipts are the people that are not thieves. They are not stopping any theft, they are only inconveniencing the legit people. But hey, the board says, “DO SOMETHING” 

Edited by sausage450r

2 hours ago, Air450 said:

Well we just got a nice increase in our health insurance last week. On my wife's B'day they are going to raise it $250 bucks a month! That's 3000 bucks a year!  WTF! It will now be 20 grand a year for 2 adults.

I think I'm going to switch over to being self insured. 10 years will be 200 grand in my bank account.

I did that in the past and when you go to the doctor ask for a cash discount, it will blow your mind how much the discount will be. If they so no look for a different doctor.  DON~~~

3 hours ago, B0NES said:

Geeezus it’s crazy buts it’s so entertaining. One in three people walking down the street are having belligerent conversation with nothing.

D7173CF9-7723-4542-A41A-2E60269CF237.jpeg.8e2c92153b8e08d647c7f642b6148356.jpeg

No Chase Policy.

I had to take a picture of this guy today near balboa park. He made his way over to me, lost but with his crack pipe in hand, having a very interesting conversation with someone. Although I’m not sure who. 

To the left of me is a 30 foot cut slope

A39A114C-7250-4F1C-ABE1-22AAF82561A9.jpeg

Waiting in another line to have your reciept check is as effective against theft as gun laws are at keeping guns out of criminals hands. Hasseling a paying customer along with higher prices to off set the cost of all the theft will do nothing. The real problem is nothing is done to discourage theft in this state or punish a person if and when they are finally cought. The state would rather you suffer then use the endless tax dollars they collect to punish criminals. 

On 6/8/2019 at 11:10 PM, Phoenix7 said:

I agree that businesses need to be more aggressive in arresting thieves.  That's what I was trying to say yesterday when I posted the video of the guy loading a cart full of stolen stuff into his car.

The employee you saw today should not be working there if that was his response.

But I wouldn't recommend that you personally chase a thief.  You run the risk of getting shot or stabbed because most thieves carry a backup weapon.  Also since they didn't commit a violent crime, it could get complicated legally if there is a physical confrontation.

It seems like your contradicting yourself a bit. You can’t say the guy shouldn’t be working there if  his response was there was nothing he can do.  Then the next sentence talk about the criminal having weapons. I don’t think and sales person or cashier should chase a criminal down. Besides possibly getting your ass kicked this crappy state will allow you to be sued if your the ass kicker. Invest in a camera system and proper security guards. 

2 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

No Chase Policy.

Here is an interesting real life No Chase Policy story that may generate some comments.  At the very end of the video is confirmation of @sausage450r statement that drug addiction is usually involved.

My initial thought is that Best Buy probably does this to protect from lawsuits.  It's a pretty sad policy.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:10 PM, Phoenix7 said:

I agree that businesses need to be more aggressive in arresting thieves.  That's what I was trying to say yesterday when I posted the video of the guy loading a cart full of stolen stuff into his car.

The employee you saw today should not be working there if that was his response.

But I wouldn't recommend that you personally chase a thief.  You run the risk of getting shot or stabbed because most thieves carry a backup weapon.  Also since they didn't commit a violent crime, it could get complicated legally if there is a physical confrontation.

It seems like your contradicting yourself a bit. You can’t say the guy shouldn’t be working there if  his response was there was nothing he can do.  Then the next sentence talk about the criminal having weapons. I don’t think and sales person or cashier should chase a criminal down. Besides possibly getting your ass kicked this crappy state will allow you to be sued if your the ass kicker.if the store wants employees to pursue a thief then  Invest in a  proper camera system and proper security guards. 

Just now, FAMILY OF 4 said:

It seems like your contradicting yourself a bit. You can’t say the guy shouldn’t be working there if  his response was there was nothing he can do.  Then the next sentence talk about the criminal having weapons. I don’t think and sales person or cashier should chase a criminal down. Besides possibly getting your ass kicked this crappy state will allow you to be sued if your the ass kicker.if the store wants employees to pursue a thief then  Invest in a  proper camera system and proper security guards. 

This is getting a bit complicated because of the Best Buy video I just posted coincidentally before your reply, but I can tell you that at the time I was writing the reply to @NIKAL I was surprised that the store employee didn't even call the police.  Today, in learning and thinking a little more about this topic, it looks like the employee at @NIKAL 's store was responding the way he has been conditioned by his company.