Kraut_n_Rice

Tablet gauge pack

I know it's been covered here before, but my search didn't bring up anything usable...

Android tablet, OBD connector, Bluetooth interface.....Torque app the best?  

I have had great success with the Torque pro but it is the only one I have used. It would be cool to see other options that others have used here

Same here. I use Torque pro, I have no experience with any other OBD II app.

Have you made sure you can see the tablet in the sun?  That's what we're having trouble with in our cars.  I'm considering making a roof-mounted console to put the tablet in to get it out of direct sunlight, but I'm not sure that would do the trick.  

For me, it's not going in a sand car.  I just knew I'd get the best answers here.

Glare shouldn't be an issue.

Gotcha.  May want to check this out:  https://www.theonegauge.com/  It basically is a box that gives you an OBD2 data stream on any vehicle.  I haven't used one yet, but I plan to put one on the Cummins swapped OBS Ford I'm building.  

Does Torque Pro read oil pressure and balance rates for a Duramax LLY? 

My current super chips programmer/code reader doesn't do that. 

On 6/9/2019 at 5:51 PM, Dave In Florida said:

Gotcha.  May want to check this out:  https://www.theonegauge.com/  It basically is a box that gives you an OBD2 data stream on any vehicle.  I haven't used one yet, but I plan to put one on the Cummins swapped OBS Ford I'm building.  

This is kinda neat, but I'm working with modern tech.  :thumbup:

I use the torque pro blue tooth to in dash iPad but I also have AIM dash and couple round gauges. I put the iPad in more for go pro and music but super cool all the displays I can run off engine since I use a gm computer. My biggest complaint is the blue tooth sometimes looses connection. If there is any obdII readers that can connect to iPad/iPhone via physical connection, I’d switch to that. Yes can be hard to see in sun. I don’t think a tablet would be good for your primary gauges 

On 6/10/2019 at 10:32 AM, steinberg55 said:

Does Torque Pro read oil pressure and balance rates for a Duramax LLY? 

My current super chips programmer/code reader doesn't do that. 

It should read everything your factory computer does. When you connect to the vehicle it will highlight every available parameter 

I use the Blue Driver it works great for GM stuff lots of PIDs to look at. It suggests you don't watch more than 5 PIDs at a time because it slows the sample rate. I have watched 7 PIDs and haven't notice any difference. Don't leave it plugged in to the OBD port over night it will kill the battery 

https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bluetooth-Professional-iPhone-Android/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyMDi8K_i4gIVC_5kCh3TBQCYEAAYASAAEgKbf_D_BwE&hvadid=241935442232&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9031340&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16838844127845842286&hvtargid=kwd-60939991568&hydadcr=24660_10400765&keywords=torque+pro+obd2&qid=1560288581&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=AD7D9D1JAFECP

$90?  Ouch.  There are some that support Torque Pro that are 1/10th the price...

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

$90?  Ouch.  There are some that support Torque Pro that are 1/10th the price...

And they work well. Had my little 15.00 obd for at least 6 years now, only complaint is it takes a few tries to connect. 

Edited by Legit Duner

Not to derail the subject, but anyone have a suggestion for an OBDII to USB cable?  Only ones I've seen seem to come with software built in for scanning.

2 hours ago, ltpyro said:

Not to derail the subject, but anyone have a suggestion for an OBDII to USB cable?  Only ones I've seen seem to come with software built in for scanning.

Think they all blue tooth so no other cables out there. I called torque pro tech and asked if there were cables to hardwire it but they said no. Every time I start up after some down time I have to go through the reconnect process. Sometimes I skip it, as often as not since it’s a secondary display. But it would love it if hardwired that worked as soon as the key was on. I had My car at redline last month and all the new racers and funcos in there had beautiful big screen displays. They said that was the Motech computer, wiring, and display, I’m sure very expensive but looked amazing. That is the ticket 

9 hours ago, ltpyro said:

Not a derail at all.  If there is something that would work better hardwired, I'd be for that too.  I have  HPTuners, so I guess I already have a wired and BT type of interface, but with HPT you will still have their GUI at the top.  Looks kinda shitty,  you will still have to connect, and no IOS for the CrApple guys....

It would be great to find something that plugs into the OBD, runs the selected live feed, and powers up automatically with key on. 

My HPT gauges for scanning/tuning..

red2.PNG

Oh sorry I think I was reading this wrong.  I thought you wanted a solution just for reading the gauges and codes while it was park for troubleshooting purposes.  After re-reading the thread I see you want it for driving purposes...  I was asking about just an OBDII to USB cable that goes into a laptop for software to read.  I'll have to lookup the stuff you guys are talking about.

Anybody have trouble with Torque deleting your dashboard?  I've built it a couple times.  Sometimes it last a week, sometimes an hour.  When I wake the screen it just gone, only defaults.  It's not power cycled.

I had issues with the refresh rate on some cars to actually use as a tach.  Temps, etc, perfectly fine, but wasn't quick enough to be a good tach.

Refresh rates are adjustable, but not a concern for what I'm after.

1 minute ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Refresh rates are adjustable, but not a concern for what I'm after.

Word.  

And it was the car itself that wouldn't put out a real-time tach signal, not the application