SY

New Delivery Truck - International vs Hino

I'm looking at getting a new delivery truck. It seems like International and Hino are the 2 popular brands out there and they are coming in at almost the exact same price. Anyone have any experience with these brands? Is there another brand I should be looking at? The International has a Cummins motor with an Allison transmission. The Hino has a Hino motor with an Allison transmission. Here's the link to the trucks:

https://www.diontrucks.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=6812886&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

https://www.rushtruckcenters.com/truck-sales/truck-inventory/379709-hino-268a

I did the same shopping for awhile but I ended up going with the Ford 650. 26k GVW w/air brakes 

I need to put a 24' box on it, not sure if the F650/750 frames will except that. 

i have a international  single axle dumptruck in my fleet and its been one of the best trucks i have ever had.it has the DT466 motor with a manual trans but man its never skipped a beat and has just been a super reliable truck.my buddy has a tree service and has 2 henos in his fleet of 4 internationals and hasent said any bad about them.

8 hours ago, SY said:

I need to put a 24' box on it, not sure if the F650/750 frames will except that. 

Pretty sure they can. I’ve got about 90,000 miles on a 2017 F750 with no problems. It’s a service truck loaded down pretty good.  

Have a client with 4 of the interenational 4300's with boxes that have been a dependable workhorse. If you go international, be sure to go cummins. I don't know if they offer the maxxforce engine in those but the maxxforce engines my client had were nothing but issues.

We bought a new Kenworth T370 in November with the Allison and Paccar engine. Air ride, air brakes, 33,000 GVWR.

Seems like a nice little truck. I can't attest to the reliability because it's not on the road yet because we've been too busy to finish it but it's supposed to be a decent little Rig.

Might wanna check them out. You couldn't give me an International as a gift I can tell you that. 

3 hours ago, Ocotillo Boy said:

We bought a new Kenworth T370 in November with the Allison and Paccar engine. Air ride, air brakes, 33,000 GVWR.

Seems like a nice little truck. I can't attest to the reliability because it's not on the road yet because we've been too busy to finish it but it's supposed to be a decent little Rig.

Might wanna check them out. You couldn't give me an International as a gift I can tell you that. 

Have about 15K on our 2019 t370 with Paccar PX9 (Cummins). Zero issues.

I have a small towing business and have owned 3 Internationals in the past and on my second Hino. Hino has one of the best warranties out there. Personally I really like the Hino's and have been better for reliability than the Internationals were. I am the only one that drives them and keep a strict maintenance schedule. I put about 40-50K on them a year and usually get a new one every 4-5 years. I even got some prototype Fox Shox made for it. Should be a pic of them on my IG page somewhere.

https://www.instagram.com/mesatowing/

On 6/10/2019 at 12:27 PM, SY said:

I'm looking at getting a new delivery truck. It seems like International and Hino are the 2 popular brands out there and they are coming in at almost the exact same price. Anyone have any experience with these brands? Is there another brand I should be looking at? The International has a Cummins motor with an Allison transmission. The Hino has a Hino motor with an Allison transmission. Here's the link to the trucks:

https://www.diontrucks.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=6812886&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

https://www.rushtruckcenters.com/truck-sales/truck-inventory/379709-hino-268a

How long do you plan on keeping it? 

The Hino truck has a cheaper made cab and the interior is not as robust as the International not that the International is anything to write home about however.

Hino makes a good engine but their support after a few years is very lacking. If you have a good dealer or if you’re not keeping it that long it shouldn’t matter.

There are many more places that can provide service for the Cummins/Allison combination versus the Hino/Allison combo.

International can service Cummins, Cummins obviously can service Cummins, Peterbilt can service Cummins, Kenworth can service Cummins, Ford can service Cummins, etc. etc. Only the Hino truck dealer can service Hino. Many independent shops have Cummins Insite or a comparable aftermarket  diagnostic tool. There are no reliable aftermarket Hino service tools available. I doubt you can find an independent shop that can fully support it. Cummins is supported on every corner. You can buy aftermarket Cummins parts many many places (water pumps, fuel system parts, seals, etc.). Chances of you waiting for Cummins parts is slim. I had a Hino service truck in a shop I was helping manage that set for 2 weeks because Hino couldn’t provide the turbo it needed off the shelf or in its distribution system. It had to be manufacturer source by the turbo manufacturer. The truck was 3 years old.

I have worked on many Hinos in Kobelco and Hitachi equipment and they are a relatively good engine however I had an SK 350 with 500 hours on it that needed injectors under warranty and it took about 3 weeks to get them. 

If if you have an Allison problem Allison has literally thousands (probably hundreds of thousands) of Cummins Allison combinations out there to draw experience from for every one Hino Allison combination.

Again if you have a good dealer that you think can provide adequate support for the Hino and your not keeping it beyond a warranty period then most of what I have pointed out is moot.

You will eventually have emissions related problems on either truck, thats a given. Right now emissions related work is accounting for more than 50% of all the work in most dealers. If you’re trying to control your odds as much as possible the choice to me seems obvious. 

11 hours ago, Romans9 said:

You will eventually have emissions related problems on either truck, thats a given. Right now emissions related work is accounting for more than 50% of all the work in most dealers. If you’re trying to control your odds as much as possible the choice to me seems obvious. 

Reading between the lines, current pickup trucks with diesel engines will be having these emission problems as well?

A biased opinion!

Get the Hino! My son works for them.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:18 PM, ROBERT L said:

Pretty sure they can. I’ve got about 90,000 miles on a 2017 F750 with no problems. It’s a service truck loaded down pretty good.  

You're right, just checked it out and they can. 

16 hours ago, Romans9 said:

How long do you plan on keeping it? 

The Hino truck has a cheaper made cab and the interior is not as robust as the International not that the International is anything to write home about however.

Hino makes a good engine but their support after a few years is very lacking. If you have a good dealer or if you’re not keeping it that long it shouldn’t matter.

There are many more places that can provide service for the Cummins/Allison combination versus the Hino/Allison combo.

International can service Cummins, Cummins obviously can service Cummins, Peterbilt can service Cummins, Kenworth can service Cummins, Ford can service Cummins, etc. etc. Only the Hino truck dealer can service Hino. Many independent shops have Cummins Insite or a comparable aftermarket  diagnostic tool. There are no reliable aftermarket Hino service tools available. I doubt you can find an independent shop that can fully support it. Cummins is supported on every corner. You can buy aftermarket Cummins parts many many places (water pumps, fuel system parts, seals, etc.). Chances of you waiting for Cummins parts is slim. I had a Hino service truck in a shop I was helping manage that set for 2 weeks because Hino couldn’t provide the turbo it needed off the shelf or in its distribution system. It had to be manufacturer source by the turbo manufacturer. The truck was 3 years old.

I have worked on many Hinos in Kobelco and Hitachi equipment and they are a relatively good engine however I had an SK 350 with 500 hours on it that needed injectors under warranty and it took about 3 weeks to get them. 

If if you have an Allison problem Allison has literally thousands (probably hundreds of thousands) of Cummins Allison combinations out there to draw experience from for every one Hino Allison combination.

Again if you have a good dealer that you think can provide adequate support for the Hino and your not keeping it beyond a warranty period then most of what I have pointed out is moot.

What do you think of the F650 with the Power Stroke?

9 hours ago, SY said:

What do you think of the F650 with the Power Stroke?

Nothing wrong with them. Should have lots of support.

14 hours ago, Fireballsocal said:

Reading between the lines, current pickup trucks with diesel engines will be having these emission problems as well?

Keep in mind the volume of diesel pick ups versus the medium duty market gives the pick up manufacturers a large platform to work out the growing pains associated with the emission requirements.

So no I don’t think so.

Bought 3 International 4300's with the Maxxforce engines and they sucked. Problems all the time. Didn't get them over 100k miles. My 08 Chevy 4500 has 280K and still in the fleet. Went with the Ford this last time. Maybe the Cummins will help the International. Peace