U know ur gas, is there really a difference between gas stations ? one claims it has bla bla and the other has bla bla 

I have gas. 

Posted (edited)

The basic fuel is the same from brand to brand, the additives added after the refining process are the difference between brands.

FWIW, California has it's own blend of gasoline due to environmental regulations in California.

Edited by Wheres Hotboat?

I have 4 relatives that work in the industry for a company that tests all of it. From the oil on a tanker to the end product. The one that runs the lab wont buy Mobile. 

I’m no expert, and used to run gas from Quik Trip. but when I bought an Infiniti G35 I ran Chevron and the car seemed to like it. Plus, it burned better, the exhaust had a better “smell” fwiw 

3 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I’m no expert, and used to run gas from Quik Trip. but when I bought an Infiniti G35 I ran Chevron and the car seemed to like it. Plus, it burned better, the exhaust had a better “smell” fwiw 

I might be biased, been with Chevron for 30 years, but I only run Chevron, the Techron additive is no joke.

From what I've been told most gas comes from there same refineries, but the little markets that sell it cheaper is supposed to be closer to the expiration date of the fuel, that's why they can sell it cheaper.

2 hours ago, Wheres Hotboat? said:

The basic fuel is the same from brand to brand, the additives added after the refining process are the difference between brands.

FWIW, California has it's own blend of gasoline due to environmental regulations in California.

This is especially true for our "premium" ACN91.  It's barely better than owl piss.

15 hours ago, I'm Sorry said:

U know ur gas, is there really a difference between gas stations ? one claims it has bla bla and the other has bla bla 

I actually quit the refinery last December. 18 years in the industry was enough. Now I'm an engineer at LA County USC Hospital.

@Wheres Hotboat? summed it up perfect. Finished refinery products have to meet government standards. It's all about the additives.

I worked at Tesoro refinery, which became Andeavor, which became Marathon Petroleum just before I left. They should just have a big ass dry erase board out front for all the name changes we went through. Tesoro bought the BP ARCO refinery just up the street so we also made AM/PM fuel.

I don't have a fuel brand preference except that I don't like ARCO. But it's more of a atmosphere thing than fuel quality. Arco's are not in the best neighborhoods. I try to only use fuel stations where the tanks are newer. Old tanks leak and get moisture in them which is no bueno. I also prefer truck stops for fueling my Dmax because they have a higher turnover so the diesel is 'fresher', so to speak.

I heard a rumor from a good friend that refurbishes AM/PM stores that the stations regularly mix 87 and 91 octane to make 89. 

56 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

I actually quit the refinery last December. 18 years in the industry was enough. Now I'm an engineer at LA County USC Hospital.

@Wheres Hotboat? summed it up perfect. Finished refinery products have to meet government standards. It's all about the additives.

I worked at Tesoro refinery, which became Andeavor, which became Marathon Petroleum just before I left. They should just have a big ass dry erase board out front for all the name changes we went through. Tesoro bought the BP ARCO refinery just up the street so we also made AM/PM fuel.

I don't have a fuel brand preference except that I don't like ARCO. But it's more of a atmosphere thing than fuel quality. Arco's are not in the best neighborhoods. I try to only use fuel stations where the tanks are newer. Old tanks leak and get moisture in them which is no bueno. I also prefer truck stops for fueling my Dmax because they have a higher turnover so the diesel is 'fresher', so to speak.

I heard a rumor from a good friend that refurbishes AM/PM stores that the stations regularly mix 87 and 91 octane to make 89. 

That rumor might be true.. But unless you see it...

My sister in law, used to be a "Administrative Assistant" at a refinery here in the South Bay.

Every week, the HMFIC had her set up a conference call with all the other managers at other refineries.

Then they decided how much to charge that week.

I have also seen "Ghost Tankers" (Unmarked) deliver fuel to stations. Seems like all refineries will sell to anybody.

California claims it's all the same. (For the most part)

I used to work for ConocoPhilips and concur with what L.R.S. stated.  I had exposure to a lot of fuel dealers all over the US and many station use a blending valve for mid-grade fuel (one less tank in the ground). 

At the terminal where the delivery trucks are filled is where the additives are mixed.  The same fuel for many companies comes through the same pipes to the terminal and stored in large on-site tanks separated by grade.  Then depending on the delivery location the particular branded additive is applied.  They use splash blending to mix it in the truck, although the trucks are nearly full to the top as a partially loaded truck can have issues due to the weight transfer in the tank.  A lot of drivers will not drop the fuel into the ground if they can empty their tank's compartment.

Lastly, as L.R.S mentions moister in the fuel is bad.  Technically fuel and water don't mix the water is heavier and drops below the fuel.   However the pump providing the fuel can pick up moister, so generally is better to buy fuel from a busy location so that the fuel does not sits in the tanks as long.

3 minutes ago, JDMeister said:

That rumor might be true.. But unless you see it...

My sister in law, used to be a "Administrative Assistant" at a refinery here in the South Bay.

Every week, the HMFIC had her set up a conference call with all the other managers at other refineries.

Then they decided how much to charge that week.

I have also seen "Ghost Tankers" (Unmarked) deliver fuel to stations. Seems like all refineries will sell to anybody.

California claims it's all the same. (For the most part)

Some of this is true,

I believe all stations mix 87 and 91 at the pump to get 89.

The meetings between refineries are done to buy and sell fuel from each other, this is done because at one point or another there is some sort of large maintenance work being done which prevents the individual refineries from being able to make 100% of their fuel. The only way to keep their stations running is to buy fuel from someone else.

I don't know the exact specifics because I don't work in that field, but gasoline is bought and sold similar to stocks, and prices per gallon are determined by future projected demands, either because of trael during the summer, or competing refineries being shut down for maintenance.

5 minutes ago, Wheres Hotboat? said:

The meetings between refineries are done to buy and sell fuel from each other, this is done because at one point or another there is some sort of large maintenance work being done which prevents the individual refineries from being able to make 100% of their fuel. The only way to keep their stations running is to buy fuel from someone else.

I don't know the exact specifics because I don't work in that field, but gasoline is bought and sold similar to stocks, and prices per gallon are determined by future projected demands, either because of trael during the summer, or competing refineries being shut down for maintenance.

They trade what is called "Dry Barrels" with each other due to a number of issues, i.e. they want their branded gas in Southern CA, but only have refining in Texas.

My dad use to haul fuel for Mobil and when their tank farm was low  they filled up with different brands and just added the secret additives.

Some of the ghost haulers sell unbranded fuel and sometimes cut it with alcohol and other cheaper filler additives. 

There is also a black market for fuel that the independents purchase for cash that comes from overseas or stolen from other stations and refineries.

(Heard it from a friends brothers sister aunts boyfriend)😆     All the stations used to use the same padlock on the tank caps that every driver had.  

1 hour ago, L.R.S. said:

Now I'm an engineer at LA County USC Hospital.

I'm sorry you have my sympathy. 

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I'm sorry you have my sympathy. 

Went into this civil service job with little expectations and after 6 months I'm shocked at what I've seen. My next 20 years should be smooth sailing.

3 hours ago, Wheres Hotboat? said:

Some of this is true,

I believe all stations mix 87 and 91 at the pump to get 89.

I build stations for a living, we have contracts with all the big oil company's. Yes all stations have blenders to mix 87 & 91 to make 89.

Each station is a different scenario, some are privately owned (dealer branded "Joe's gas & save") He most likely almost never buys from the same refinery. Stay away never know what your getting.

Then there are the common named brand stations most of these are owned buy a large Corporation and are mandated by that brand to use isolated refineries. 

The only "Big Name" oil company that owns there own station now is Chevron, but probably only 30% of them are actually corporate.   

Your comment about pricing is 100% accurate, its all about projection and inflation.

22 minutes ago, bajabug44 said:

I build stations for a living, we have contracts with all the big oil company's. Yes all stations have blenders to mix 87 & 91 to make 89.

Each station is a different scenario, some are privately owned (dealer branded "Joe's gas & save") He most likely almost never buys from the same refinery. Stay away never know what your getting.

Then there are the common named brand stations most of these are owned buy a large Corporation and are mandated by that brand to use isolated refineries. 

The only "Big Name" oil company that owns there own station now is Chevron, but probably only 30% of them are actually corporate.   

Your comment about pricing is 100% accurate, its all about projection and inflation.

Do you know Boston-McDermott?

7 hours ago, Wheres Hotboat? said:

I might be biased, been with Chevron for 30 years, but I only run Chevron, the Techron additive is no joke.

You work at Chevron? Dang! I'm surrounded by you guys! :lol:

6 minutes ago, Air450 said:

You work at Chevron? Dang! I'm surrounded by you guys! :lol:

LOL, you must be referring to Michael Ray.

Theres actually quite a few more of us in the neighborhood.

8 minutes ago, Wheres Hotboat? said:

LOL, you must be referring to Michael Ray.

Theres actually quite a few more of us in the neighborhood.

Mike Hunt lives behind me and Bob next door. Both retired.

I try not to call Mike by that name, he never liked it at work. Myself, I would have embraced that name and made sure everyone called me by my full name.

Bob who is your next door neighbor?

1 hour ago, Wheres Hotboat? said:

I try not to call Mike by that name, he never liked it at work. Myself, I would have embraced that name and made sure everyone called me by my full name.

Bob who is your next door neighbor?

Degnan?

Deegan, I think. I forgot he lived over here too.

54 minutes ago, Wheres Hotboat? said:

Deegan, I think. I forgot he lived over here too.

Your in Torrance right? Lots of Chevron employees living local. My Brother is a operator there got a lot friends there as well.