Thx guys for the info

2 minutes ago, Southbayrhino22 said:

Your in Torrance right? Lots of Chevron employees living local. My Brother is a operator there got a lot friends there as well. 

Yeah, I'm in Torrance, over near the Court House.

My son is about to start as an Operator at Chevron next month. I was an Operator for 10 years but moved out of that roll 20 years ago. Whats your brothers name? Slim chance I'd know him, there's 1000 people there, but maybe so.

I always buy 91 octane and don't worry about anything else.

44 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Why?

3 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Why?

he has lots of $$$$$$$ 

6 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Why?

Because race car

1 hour ago, Phoenix7 said:

Use 87 octane in your SXS, higher octane yields no benefit unless your boosted !

13 minutes ago, JKR951 said:

Use 87 octane in your SXS, higher octane yields no benefit unless your boosted !

Guys, not sure if I misunderstood the purpose of this topic,  but I'm referring to ALL VEHICLES OFFROAD AND HIGHWAY.  No time to over-analyze the difference between 87-89-91.  Just believing there is a difference because gasoline is regulated and monitored, and obviously wanting to buy the best gasoline.  The price difference is negligible.  Just buy the 91!!

Edited by Phoenix7

The 87-91 is not a debate. The more alkylate in the fuel means more octane. The more more compression the higher the octane needed. Engines require just enough octane to prevent detonation. In other words, no need to spend extra money unless required.  Higher octane fuels help with heat as well which goes up with compression. That said, most of the refineries in the basin are Co-Oped, meaning they all pump to shared tanks via companies like Kinder Morgan. As HotBoat said different additives are the only real difference, and it’s detergent. Commifornia  has the strictest standards in the country. The fuel is all the same from all the refineries, or has to meet the same specs. Not to mention they sell blend stocks between each other. The Arco/BP/Tesoro-Andeavor/Marathon (haha) Carson refinery by itself was 25% of the western market and is now 33+% with the Tesoro Wilmington connection. It’s a shell game. Plus, I know its Arizona but next time you’re in Parker or the like, pay attention to the fuel delivery  truck and watch it deliver to the Herbst Chevron, and then the non branded station up the road.

Edited by Sellout Industries

4 hours ago, Sellout Industries said:

The 87-91 is not a debate. The more alkylate in the fuel means more octane. The more more compression the higher the octane needed. Engines require just enough octane to prevent detonation. In other words, no need to spend extra money unless required.  Higher octane fuels help with heat as well which goes up with compression. That said, most of the refineries in the basin are Co-Oped, meaning they all pump to shared tanks via companies like Kinder Morgan. As HotBoat said different additives are the only real difference, and it’s detergent. Commifornia  has the strictest standards in the country. The fuel is all the same from all the refineries, or has to meet the same specs. Not to mention they sell blend stocks between each other. The Arco/BP/Tesoro-Andeavor/Marathon (haha) Carson refinery by itself was 25% of the western market and is now 33+% with the Tesoro Wilmington connection. It’s a shell game. Plus, I know its Arizona but next time you’re in Parker or the like, pay attention to the fuel delivery  truck and watch it deliver to the Herbst Chevron, and then the non branded station up the road.

The 87-91 debate is often miss-understood.

Octane is not a measure of horsepower.

Octane is a measure of slower burn rate. (The object is to reduce rapid pre-ignition, or ping)

91 burns the slowest. :hmm:

4 hours ago, Sellout Industries said:

The Arco/BP/Tesoro-Andeavor/Marathon (haha) Carson refinery...

One of the final factors in my decision to leave.

17 hours ago, matt86m said:

Do you know Boston-McDermott?

Yes very well, I buy from Jay

19 minutes ago, bajabug44 said:

Yes very well, I buy from Jay

Great guy! Been friends with him for 25 years!