jwest2sh

Tires for enclosed trailer

I just bought a used enclosed to haul my buggy.  24X8.5 tandem 5200# torsion axles. Loaded with a 3000# car, quad, MC and all the regular stuff.  Probably around 6K worth of stuff....give or take?  The date codes on two of the tires are 2010 and the other two are 2012.  The tires look great and the previous owner said they were in storage but I'm going to replace them just because they are old.  It has 16" wheels.  Looking for suggestions on tires.....brand, size, load rating?  I think the last ones I bought for my last enclosed were taskmasters with load rating E.  I don't want to deal with blowouts so I'm looking for the best tire I can get.  

thanks,

~jw

You'll get a ton of different opinions on this.  It's been discussed many times before.  On my enclosed trailer, I went with Firestone Transforce HT.  Its an LT rated truck tire.   That's what was on it when I replaced them last year, and two of the tires were over 10 years old.  I've never had any issues with them.

BFG Commercial T/As on my toy hauler and now my Motorhome. No problems

Posted (edited)

Call wayne at wayne miller tire in santee. He does all tires but for years specialized in commercial truck/trailer tires from car haulers to semi’s and wheel loaders. He knows his chit and has great prices, i got 10 ply maxxis’s from him for my old toy hauler

Edited by sausage450r

Goodyear Endurance are on my hauler. Goodyear says they have the highest weight rating for a E rated tire...... 

Thanks for the info guys...I'll call Wayne and pick his brain.  I'm looking at G rated tires too.  Seems they are a lot heavier duty.  14ply and 110 PSI.  That's like my RV tire!

~jw

9 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

Thanks for the info guys...I'll call Wayne and pick his brain.  I'm looking at G rated tires too.  Seems they are a lot heavier duty.  14ply and 110 PSI.  That's like my RV tire!

~jw

Are your wheels rated for that pressure/load though?

12 hours ago, Rockwood said:

BFG Commercial T/As on my toy hauler and now my Motorhome. No problems

I run these on my box trailer and have had no issues for a couple years. Then the last 2 trips I blew 1 each trip. I'm hoping it was from a curb dragging when I had to manuver my slightly over length rig around a parked car.

They also where the 2 that endured the lose of an axle. So one sat with all the weight on one while the other didn't so who knows. 

Also on my thread about it another member said they had a run of bad tires around when I got mine. 

I kinda hope the other 2 blow so I can have a whole new set of 4 for a 100 bucks., thanks tire warranty. 

We'll see how the other 2 do next season.

Like mentioned you’ll get a lot of mixed reviews some run LT tires and some run trailer tires.  I run trailer service tires and change them every 4 years no matter what. 

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I run these on my box trailer and have had no issues for a couple years. Then the last 2 trips I blew 1 each trip. I'm hoping it was from a curb dragging when I had to manuver my slightly over length rig around a parked car.

They also where the 2 that endured the lose of an axle. So one sat with all the weight on one while the other didn't so who knows. 

Also on my thread about it another member said they had a run of bad tires around when I got mine. 

I kinda hope the other 2 blow so I can have a whole new set of 4 for a 100 bucks., thanks tire warranty. 

We'll see how the other 2 do next season.

Huh.  Bummer.

I went with these:

https://simpletire.com/catalog?width=235&ratio=80&rim=16&zip=89149&maincategory=null&brand=83&query=catalog

Alper recommended them and they have tons of good reviews.  Not a bad price either. They should last several years.  Thanks for all the input guys!

~jw

13 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

I went with these:

https://simpletire.com/catalog?width=235&ratio=80&rim=16&zip=89149&maincategory=null&brand=83&query=catalog

Alper recommended them and they have tons of good reviews.  Not a bad price either. They should last several years.  Thanks for all the input guys!

~jw

for you long haul speedy fellas, no speed rating, which means it is good for about 75 MPH for about 8 hours. I  know, we never do that, but the hotter it is, the heavier the load, the older it is, makes those numbers drop. The advantage pf an LT tire is it is Speed rated, and can handle that type of abuse.

To make any of them last, keep them out of the sun, if they sit for a long time, take the weight off of them or move trailer so not sitting on same spot, and keep correct air pressure, and do not over load.

Yes I know people have different views, I have first hand experience in this industry.  

On 6/17/2019 at 8:55 AM, 2011BFD said:

for you long haul speedy fellas, no speed rating, which means it is good for about 75 MPH for about 8 hours. I  know, we never do that, but the hotter it is, the heavier the load, the older it is, makes those numbers drop. The advantage pf an LT tire is it is Speed rated, and can handle that type of abuse.

To make any of them last, keep them out of the sun, if they sit for a long time, take the weight off of them or move trailer so not sitting on same spot, and keep correct air pressure, and do not over load.

Yes I know people have different views, I have first hand experience in this industry.  

Thanks for the input.  I tow with a DP so I rarely get over 65....the party starts when we hit the highway! (at least for  my passengers) No need to speed.  I'm a wee bit over length too so I try not to attract attention to myself.  I always cover them when sitting for more than a couple hours and they are so over rated for what I'm using them for I should get a long life out of them.  I have to say....Simple Tire was the most painless online tire buying experience I have ever had.  I've used Tire rack, Discount, E-trailer and some others.  The tires were on my doorstep in two days!  I got an email when they were shipped and another one when they landed.  Great price too!  These tires are beefy!  The sidewalls are 14ply....and I like the tread pattern.  

~jw

I run the Samson from Simple tire pretty much the same as that 1. Beefy for sure. I have ordered 3 sets from Simple Tire since someone posted the thread on here years ago. Great prices and service.  They are heavy tires but with a DP or diesel should not notice. I had some 10 ply on 1 trailer and these on the other before I switched to all these on my trailers. With a gas truck I could feel the drag when towing one after the other of same dump trailer empty. Worth it as these resist nails much better at the dump as they are thick.

7 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

Thanks for the input.  I tow with a DP so I rarely get over 65....the party starts when we hit the highway! (at least for  my passengers) No need to speed.  I'm a wee bit over length too so I try not to attract attention to myself.  I always cover them when sitting for more than a couple hours and they are so over rated for what I'm using them for I should get a long life out of them.  I have to say....Simple Tire was the most painless online tire buying experience I have ever had.  I've used Tire rack, Discount, E-trailer and some others.  The tires were on my doorstep in two days!  I got an email when they were shipped and another one when they landed.  Great price too!  These tires are beefy!  The sidewalls are 14ply....and I like the tread pattern.  

~jw

I put those tires (not same size obviously) on my DP.  Just took them on a 3k trip.  Rides great.  Bought them through simple tire via eBay which saved on the taxes.  No idea why... 

On 6/19/2019 at 1:12 PM, Southbayrhino22 said:

I run the Samson from Simple tire pretty much the same as that 1. Beefy for sure. I have ordered 3 sets from Simple Tire since someone posted the thread on here years ago. Great prices and service.  They are heavy tires but with a DP or diesel should not notice. I had some 10 ply on 1 trailer and these on the other before I switched to all these on my trailers. With a gas truck I could feel the drag when towing one after the other of same dump trailer empty. Worth it as these resist nails much better at the dump as they are thick.

Some of the reviews were claiming a 1.5MPG increase with these tires because of the in-line tread pattern.  I'm not banking on that...I tow over the I-8 grade so I don't think there's gonna be any increase in MPH happening for me!  I just like the peace of mind of having a beefy tire back there.

~jw

Either go with the Michelin XPS Ribbed or the Sailun.  Can't go wrong with the Rib, but they are spendy to say the least!