matt86m

Backyard layout help

Posted (edited)

Its happening!!! Outdoor 'kitchen' more like a grilling area. Need some suggestions on layout.

16' x 18' concrete pad

16' x 18' Gable free standing solid cover w/ 6 can lights and a ceiling fan.

2 - 8' x 3' islands w/water (cold), gas and electrical. Big Green Egg, 32'' gas grill, Single side burner, 15'' x 15'' sink. Egg and gas grill on the back island, side burner and sink on the front, 4' in between the islands. Seating on the closest island (so your back is to the house but chairs will swivel) 

Did my best to lay it out with yellow string and posted a rendering (ignore the 18x18) but I have moved the islands to the other side. Keep in mind the left side of the yard gets the hot afternoon sun and I hate the sun! so I don't want to be standing in it in front of a hot grill. We will have a drop down shade on the left side from the cover.

How would you lay out the islands? I tried an 'L' but I lose a lot of space without making the sections longer (more cost). I want them tucked inside the cover, right now I have the back of the island 2' inside the back edge and 3' inside the right edge. 

Would love to hear what my GD peeps have to say! I'll take any and all suggestions - even from the peanut gallery members!

layout3.thumb.jpg.6128818bedb4aa9ab27a20093eebaae6.jpg

layout2.thumb.jpg.8b2b5992e254eb583f55c90f09a6781b.jpg

layout1.thumb.jpg.56028c66ed5cce4446acc5bdd1266f3b.jpg

layout4.thumb.jpg.f28bc619327527db33828fe8e1e28e8d.jpg

layout5.thumb.jpg.f348ec72eeef4fbebc079f3feff6067b.jpg

ODbbq1.thumb.jpg.bd35f54190eb7f6bc103d65759f5f589.jpg

layout6.jpg

Edited by matt86m

Make sure you add a firepit somewhere when you run the gas lines, sorry my only feedback

Just now, Cookie said:

Make sure you add a firepit somewhere when you run the gas lines, sorry my only feedback

There will be a stub for that. Thank you, forgot to mention.

I looked at it some more.  I would first remove any grass within 5 feet of the structure and increase the size of the concrete pad.  I also would think of something more permanent on the left side for sun, but also if you want to put a TV out there.  Great place to sit outside and watch supercross while cooking some grub.  

Love outdoor cooking spaces...………..

9 minutes ago, Cookie said:

I looked at it some more.  I would first remove any grass within 5 feet of the structure and increase the size of the concrete pad.  I also would think of something more permanent on the left side for sun, but also if you want to put a TV out there.  Great place to sit outside and watch supercross while cooking some grub.  

Love outdoor cooking spaces...………..

I started with 18x24 but we have cut it down due to cost and space. Had a 12x12 for a fire pit but took that off the table too.  There will be a mix of grass, planters and DE around it.

Been thinking more about a tv, probably will mount one high under the cover, thinking back right corner. Stream the signal so I dont have to run a box.

Not much to add but hurry up and break ground already!  are you going to have a radiant heater installed in your gazebo roof so you can use it all year round? Please Make sure no plumerias are harmed in the making of this outdoor kitchen!  I have about 50  plumerias myself, it's an addiction I think?  Carry on...

Go bigger with the cement. 

DG is great at first when compacted well and or even glued but don't count on walking on it like cement with out upkeep

2 hours ago, 2turbofords said:

Not much to add but hurry up and break ground already!  are you going to have a radiant heater installed in your gazebo roof so you can use it all year round? Please Make sure no plumerias are harmed in the making of this outdoor kitchen!  I have about 50  plumerias myself, it's an addiction I think?  Carry on...

No permanent heater, I don't need them but we may get a portable for the wife. That Plumeria grows about an inch a year! I think its the soil, our daughter has a forest of them though at her house. 

Is that the layout you would go with?

10 minutes ago, 1slomofo said:

Go bigger with the cement. 

DG is great at first when compacted well and or even glued but don't count on walking on it like cement with out upkeep

I'd rather go bigger too but the wife wants smaller and it also comes down to budget. I think a rectangle would be better, 16x20.

Thanks for the info on the DG

I'm just ready for the GD Break In Party!! :yay::wh:   :chef: 

I'm thinking due to your location... GD SSSS  Pre-Party!!!  :yay::1cheff:

I'd say beer tap but I like all kinda of different beers so a mini fridge would be on the bill. It's probably going to be a main hangout spot so a TV and sound system are a must have. LED accent lighting to set it off.  

17 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I'd say beer tap but I like all kinda of different beers so a mini fridge would be on the bill. It's probably going to be a main hangout spot so a TV and sound system are a must have. LED accent lighting to set it off.  

No keg, no fridge, didn't use the fridge in my last set up,,,,also Im putting a 2nd fridge in the garage to dry age meat! Already have a 20cu' freezer in there too. Think Ill just go with a BT speaker for tunes. TV will probably happen. I can do accent lights later, going to have power routed to one of the upper corners.

Good luck on the redo. Will like to see the final design.

If it was me, I would push it up to a wall and work out from there. I understand with a cover, you may want it away some.

Just now, HappyW/VForce said:

Good luck on the redo. Will like to see the final design.

If it was me, I would push it up to a wall and work out from there. I understand with a cover, you may want it away some.

Has to be 5' from the wall,,,,damn city living!

No one would move the islands to a different place or layout?

Obviously I've been paying you too much.  But glad to see that money going toward something awesome!

My patio is 16'x16' but only because it's sandwiched between the house and the winery.  Hindsight I wish I would have done a rectangle and pushed it out a few more feet, even though it wouldn't have been under the roof.  One simple thing I did was have a curve on the edge on the 'entrance' side to break up the straight lines.  Before we poured the slab I ran an extra 1" PVC pipe next to the water and gas pipe in case I need to pull anymore lines in the future.  I should have put water in the far rear corner.  I have lots of plants and have to drag a hose over there.  

Portable patio heaters are great.  Just moved mine off the patio for the summer.  Ceiling fan is a must, especially for the smoker's smoke.  TV is a must.  I spend more time watching TV on my patio then I do in my house.  I don't have a fridge out there, garage is 25 feet away.  Have good lighting above the BBQ and smoker.  My lighting sucks over the smoker so I use a flashlight to check my meat...  

Next upgrade is LED lighting with a dimmer.   And more plants.  I want it like a jungle out there.

20170418_203222.jpg

1 minute ago, L.R.S. said:

Obviously I've been paying you too much.  But glad to see that money going toward something awesome!

My patio is 16'x16' but only because it's sandwiched between the house and the winery.  Hindsight I wish I would have done a rectangle and pushed it out a few more feet, even though it wouldn't have been under the roof.  One simple thing I did was have a curve on the edge on the 'entrance' side to break up the straight lines.  Before we poured the slab I ran an extra 1" PVC pipe next to the water and gas pipe in case I need to pull anymore lines in the future.  I should have put water in the far rear corner.  I have lots of plants and have to drag a hose over there.  

Portable patio heaters are great.  Just moved mine off the patio for the summer.  Ceiling fan is a must, especially for the smoker's smoke.  TV is a must.  I spend more time watching TV on my patio then I do in my house.  I don't have a fridge out there, garage is 25 feet away.  Have good lighting above the BBQ and smoker.  My lighting sucks over the smoker so I use a flashlight to check my meat...  

Next upgrade is LED lighting with a dimmer.   And more plants.  I want it like a jungle out there.

20170418_203222.jpg

I invested wisely! :lol: 

I like the xtra PVC idea.  Ceiling fan will be my best friend out there.

Are your neighbors' trees lifting up that block wall?

8 minutes ago, SVrider said:

Are your neighbors' trees lifting up that block wall?

Some, we have been here 6 years and its been the same. I know where you are going, roots concern me too.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, matt86m said:

No one would move the islands to a different place or layout?

I would move the layout. I also have been planning out my bbq island.  The main thing that I would change is have the grill position where you are facing your house and your yard.  This way when you are cooking your back is not towards your guest. That is some of the issue I see in some layouts. 

Maybe a H layout with back towards the wall and counter space on both sides. Seating on your right and left side. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by jhuerta

4 hours ago, matt86m said:

Has to be 5' from the wall,,,,damn city living!

You might be able get that down to 3 feet. Norco has the same 5 foot offset but if you got the fire department to sign off you could get within 3 feet. 

You might be able get that down to 3 feet. Norco has the same 5 foot offset but if you got the fire department to sign off you could get within 3 feet. 

Thought they changed it to 10" in Norco...has to be rated for 90mph winds and horse proof...can't build in the PACA.....pretty much Laguna Niguel North now....

Posted (edited)

Drew this today, what do you think?

Back edge is 10' long, left edge is 8'

Tried to add chairs approx 24'' wide

Round table is 3' dia 

Still 18'w x 16'd for the concrete.

Maybe this will help, there will be more covered and uncovered seating close to the house. So people seated at the bbq counter will be looking straight ahead at the long side of the yard and the house to the right with another gable cover attached to the house where a table and 8 chairs will be.

layout6.jpg

Edited by matt86m

6 minutes ago, matt86m said:

Drew this today, what do you think?

Back edge is 10' long, left edge is 8'

Tried to add chairs approx 24'' wide

Round table is 3' dia 

Still 18'w x 16'd for the concrete.

layout6.jpg

I would go 4 chairs at the bar.

The dead space in the corner make into a storage cabinet that would be accessed from the outside (top of the drawing)  

Here is the complete backyard layout

layout7.jpg