socaldmax

Let's talk about Chromebooks

I have a few laptops for different purposes. One is a 17" monster with a big SSD drive and i7 CPU, another is a 15.6" with an i5 CPU and for lightweight portability I bought a used 14" Lenovo with an i7 CPU, SSD and it weighs less than 3 lbs. After seeing all of the ruckus about recent vulnerabilities in all versions of windoze, I looked at Chromebooks, basically an Android laptop.

I found the Acer Chromebook 15 which has a lot of flavors. 2 or 4GB memory, 16 -32GB eMMC or SSD storage, and now 15.6" FHD IPS touchscreen. I picked up the 4GB FHD IPS touchscreen version with 32GB SSD, Celeron CPU at 2.48 GHz nice and lightweight at less than 4lbs and I can upgrade the SSD to 256 or 500GB later. It's plenty fast enough for normal use, but not powerful enough for heavy graphics or video editing. It uses mostly USB C connectors, including for charging. It's so thin, they couldn't put an ethernet connector on it, so I bought a really sleek adapter that plugs into the USB C port and gives me 3 USB 3.0 ports, an ethernet port and a 2nd HDMI port. It can support all 3 screens simultaneously. It's mostly my entertainment/email/surfing laptop. I've loaded all of the Kodi replacement apps on it and they look incredible! I have all of the same apps on it that I have on my phone and 10" tablet, but in a very sleek brushed aluminum package with a 15.6" touchscreen. It's got a great lighted keyboard and a claimed 12 hr battery life, although under normal usage I think it's more like about 9-10 hrs. It's been on since 8 am and reports it's at 59% with another 6 hrs of life left, which tracks with the 4 hrs it's been on and 41% battery life used.

It was "refurbished", but looks and performs like brand new for only $215 on Amazon. I've been using it for about 12 hrs so far, and I love it! Hopefully, it's as secure from virus vulnerabilities as they claim Chrome is!  

The school I work at uses chrome books and chrome boxes exclusively in our labs and computer carts.  Ours certainly aren't the same thing you have, but they are darn near indestructible.  They are routinely dropped, tossed onto desks, slammed shut, left unplugged and run completely dead, etc.  They rarely need more than a re-boot to clean up any issues with apps.  The only thing that cripples them is when kids pop off the keys and break the little plastic pieces underneath them so that new or replacement keys can be popped back on.  The keys actually still work when missing as long as the rubber covering is still on.  The work well for what we need.

2 hours ago, lantz said:

The school I work at uses chrome books and chrome boxes exclusively in our labs and computer carts.  Ours certainly aren't the same thing you have, but they are darn near indestructible.  They are routinely dropped, tossed onto desks, slammed shut, left unplugged and run completely dead, etc.  They rarely need more than a re-boot to clean up any issues with apps.  The only thing that cripples them is when kids pop off the keys and break the little plastic pieces underneath them so that new or replacement keys can be popped back on.  The keys actually still work when missing as long as the rubber covering is still on.  The work well for what we need.

Wow! That's really durable! People are so rough on  stuff that they didn't pay for...

I'm still getting used to the Chromebook, there are still lots of things that it does differently than a windoze laptop. I'm sure loving the long battery life and low power consumption!

I like beer

1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

Wow! That's really durable! People are so rough on  stuff that they didn't pay for...

I'm still getting used to the Chromebook, there are still lots of things that it does differently than a windoze laptop. I'm sure loving the long battery life and low power consumption!

It's designed to use Google Docs, and such, and unless you can load compatible programs, that about it.

It's simply a Chrome browser that boots. Not a bad thing, but limited just a bit.

4 hours ago, JDMeister said:

It's designed to use Google Docs, and such, and unless you can load compatible programs, that about it.

It's simply a Chrome browser that boots. Not a bad thing, but limited just a bit.

There are a lot of compatible programs. MS makes a compatible version, but you have to pay for it. Polaris office seems to work well, but I'm working out the kinks on how to get my printer to work with the chromebook. I'm impressed with it's power, light weight and battery life for such a big, beautiful screen.

It’s also a Google product: purchase price is subsidized by monetizing your personal data... 

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

It’s also a Google product: purchase price is subsidized by monetizing your personal data... 

Are you trying to make it sound like a bad thing? It's also what makes it affordable enough for school districts to put in classrooms. Or they could have followed the Apple model. Build a new version phone every yr using 25 cent/hr Chinese kids as laborers and sell it to suckers for $1,000 a pop, tablets and laptops even more. Use the obscene profits from that to donate a few laptops to schools.

They're already monetizing my use of a heavier, slower, lower battery life windoze laptop that doesn't natively use android apps, the android apps are what I really wanted. They're also doing it off of all of the android phones/products as well, but you didn't get the price of your phone knocked down to $200 did you?

It's about time I got something subsidized out of everything I pay for...

:lol:

I tested out the micro SD slot and it's fast enough to play a 1080p movie, so I went on Amazon last night about 2am and ordered a 256 GB Sandisk for $42. It's arriving sometime today, same day delivery in about 12 hrs! Gotta love Amazon! Now I'll be able to store/play quite a few movies/TV shows without having to replace the SSD drive.

17 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

I tested out the micro SD slot and it's fast enough to play a 1080p movie, so I went on Amazon last night about 2am and ordered a 256 GB Sandisk for $42. It's arriving sometime today, same day delivery in about 12 hrs! Gotta love Amazon! Now I'll be able to store/play quite a few movies/TV shows without having to replace the SSD drive.

Make sure you have the SD card formatted NTFS.

The standard fat32 they "MAY" have on them are restricted to file size.

Although the total size of the files that you can copy to a FAT32 drive could be as large as 2TB (or the physical capacity of the drive, whichever is smaller), the size of each individual file may not exceed 4GB.

The NTFS maximum theoretical limit on the size of individual files is 16 EiB (16 × 10246 or 264 bytes) minus 1 KB, which totals 18,446,744,073,709,550,592 bytes. With Windows 10 version 1709 and Windows Server 2019, the maximum implemented file size is 8 PB minus 2 MB or 9,007,199,252,643,840 bytes.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, socaldmax said:

Are you trying to make it sound like a bad thing? It's also what makes it affordable enough for school districts to put in classrooms. Or they could have followed the Apple model. Build a new version phone every yr using 25 cent/hr Chinese kids as laborers and sell it to suckers for $1,000 a pop, tablets and laptops even more. Use the obscene profits from that to donate a few laptops to schools.

They're already monetizing my use of a heavier, slower, lower battery life windoze laptop that doesn't natively use android apps, the android apps are what I really wanted. They're also doing it off of all of the android phones/products as well, but you didn't get the price of your phone knocked down to $200 did you?

It's about time I got something subsidized out of everything I pay for...

:lol:

Lol. Your business, not mine. The thought of my computer logging everything I type into it and selling it to whoever’s buying doesn’t sound worth $200 to me  

https://engineering.vanderbilt.edu/news/2018/study-of-google-data-collection-comes-amid-increased-scrutiny-over-digital-privacy/

https://www.cpomagazine.com/data-privacy/google-data-collection-is-more-extensive-and-intrusive-than-you-ever-imagined/

Theres a reason google is spending more on lobbying than anyone else...

Edited by Rockwood

I gave up trying to hide my digital privacy. Even when you set everything to private, and no tracking they get you on the next update.  It's tiring to keep up. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Legit Duner said:

I gave up trying to hide my digital privacy. Even when you set everything to private, and no tracking they get you on the next update.  It's tiring to keep up. 

Apple or Android? My settings have been persistent, even when I get a new phone. 

Edited by Rockwood

23 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Apple or Android? My settings have been persistent, even when I get a new phone. 

Android and chrome. 

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Lol. Your business, not mine. The thought of my computer logging everything I type into it and selling it to whoever’s buying doesn’t sound worth $200 to me  

https://engineering.vanderbilt.edu/news/2018/study-of-google-data-collection-comes-amid-increased-scrutiny-over-digital-privacy/

https://www.cpomagazine.com/data-privacy/google-data-collection-is-more-extensive-and-intrusive-than-you-ever-imagined/

Theres a reason google is spending more on lobbying than anyone else...

Do you use an android phone? If so, then you and I have all of the same options to turn off their data collection. Same with the Chromebook. I use Chrome as my default browser on all of my windoze machines, so I'm not giving away anything new with the Chromebook.

1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

Do you use an android phone? If so, then you and I have all of the same options to turn off their data collection. Same with the Chromebook. I use Chrome as my default browser on all of my windoze machines, so I'm not giving away anything new with the Chromebook.

iPhone. Easier to secure and they don’t reset them back to max eavesdropping every time you blink.  If you’re interested in shutting down as much as possible, this is a good resource:

https://public.cyber.mil/stigs/downloads/

Just type in Android in the search field and find your device/application.

Chrome is a good browser, and internet activity is generally banked by your ISP, so not a huge breach, I’m just not a huge fan of google and their continuous jacking of my info, locations, everything I type, etc. 

I have a collection of i7 laptops, running Linux, 500 SSD, 16 gig ram.

Fast? Yup!

14 hours ago, JDMeister said:

I have a collection of i7 laptops, running Linux, 500 SSD, 16 gig ram.

Fast? Yup!

Much better option, IMO

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Much better option, IMO

Not for my application. This laptop is primarily for entertainment while camping. I wanted light weight, long battery life (10 hrs or more) and I wanted it to natively run the Android streaming apps with no emulators. I already have a small 150wh Lipo power pack and this charges off of USB, regular laptops need an inverter to plug their charger into.

If you read my first post, you'd realize I already have 2 i7 laptops and an i5 laptop, why would I need a 4th one? With that sort of power comes battery drain, that's why I wanted something low powered with an efficient OS that didn't need a powerful CPU or lots of memory.

Edited by socaldmax

11 hours ago, socaldmax said:

Not for my application. This laptop is primarily for entertainment while camping. I wanted light weight, long battery life (10 hrs or more) and I wanted it to natively run the Android streaming apps with no emulators. I already have a small 150wh Lipo power pack and this charges off of USB, regular laptops need an inverter to plug their charger into.

If you read my first post, you'd realize I already have 2 i7 laptops and an i5 laptop, why would I need a 4th one? With that sort of power comes battery drain, that's why I wanted something low powered with an efficient OS that didn't need a powerful CPU or lots of memory.

Linux fits that bill. Super efficient, etc. Can run on almost anything.  

10 hours ago, Rockwood said:

WILL run on anything..

22 hours ago, socaldmax said:

My Dell Latitude E7440, Intel i5, SSD drive hi capacity battery, 8 hours most days.

Full featured, light weight, web cam, runs all software without stalling.

Less $ than a chrome book.

10 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I bought a LAPTOP. Not just an OS.

Installing Linux on an older i7 laptop isn't going to make it lighter, thinner, or give it type C connectors, or have better battery life, or more efficient power usage. I got all of that and more for $215.

14 minutes ago, JDMeister said:

My Dell Latitude E7440, Intel i5, SSD drive hi capacity battery, 8 hours most days.

Full featured, light weight, web cam, runs all software without stalling.

Less $ than a chrome book.

That's a 14" display. I already have a carbon fiber Lenovo 14" that weighs less than the Dell with better battery life. Reviewers claim less than 8 hrs battery life out of the Dell. 

I'm very happy with the Chromebook. I discovered all of my networked printers without having to load a single printer driver. So far, I like it a lot better than windoze 10. 

Hey SoCal, I have the exact same laptop and love everything about it for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm a cheap mofo and I bought it for the price alone.