Jump to content
socaldmax

Let's talk about Chromebooks

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

Hey SoCal, I have the exact same laptop and love everything about it for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm a cheap mofo and I bought it for the price alone. 

Are you using any streaming apps on it? Between the FHD display and nice speakers, it's perfect for movies and TV shows! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Are you using any streaming apps on it? Between the FHD display and nice speakers, it's perfect for movies and TV shows! 

I haven't yet. Primarily use it for surfing the net. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, socaldmax said:

I bought a LAPTOP. Not just an OS.

Installing Linux on an older i7 laptop isn't going to make it lighter, thinner, or give it type C connectors, or have better battery life, or more efficient power usage. I got all of that and more for $215.

Uh, Relax holmes, and step back for a second. First, no one’s trying to sell you anything. JD’s point was you can install Linux-kernel based OSs on nearly anything. You don’t have to use an i7 processor. You don’t even have to use something from this decade. Super efficient and can be tailored to anything you want. Hell, you can blow out your chromebook and install Linux on it:

https://itsfoss.com/install-linux-chromebook/

The chromebook OS is pretty limited and spies on you continually. That spyware is using processor cycles, which is using battery. A significant part of it, actually.

But, you bought Chromebook, so of course you’re gonna think it’s the best thing. Completely understood. Just providing a counterpoint for those who might have privacy concerns with the Google product. 

Edited by Rockwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JDMeister said:

WILL run on anything..

Some driver issues can crop up, but yeah, it’ll run. :bigrin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 12:48 PM, socaldmax said:

I tested out the micro SD slot and it's fast enough to play a 1080p movie, so I went on Amazon last night about 2am and ordered a 256 GB Sandisk for $42. It's arriving sometime today, same day delivery in about 12 hrs! Gotta love Amazon! Now I'll be able to store/play quite a few movies/TV shows without having to replace the SSD drive.

You should see the HUGE Amazon warehouse they are building in Tucson. DON~~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Uh, Relax holmes, and step back for a second. First, no one’s trying to sell you anything. JD’s point was you can install Linux-kernel based OSs on nearly anything. You don’t have to use an i7 processor. You don’t even have to use something from this decade. Super efficient and can be tailored to anything you want. Hell, you can blow out your chromebook and install Linux on it:

https://itsfoss.com/install-linux-chromebook/

The chromebook OS is pretty limited and spies on you continually. That spyware is using processor cycles, which is using battery. A significant part of it, actually.

But, you bought Chromebook, so of course you’re gonna think it’s the best thing. Completely understood. Just providing a counterpoint for those who might have privacy concerns with the Google product. 

You should know by now that I NEVER think something is the best just because I bought it. Maybe other people do that, but that's not how I think. I never said the Chromebook was best.

I wanted this for a very specific purpose, and the Chromebook does it better than any of my other laptops, due to it's light weight, screen size and lean OS. I also wanted a laptop that could charge off of a USB port so my battery power supply could recharge it. Do any of the laptops JD is talking about charge without a power supply? I don't think so. Yes, Linux runs on any platform, but as you pointed out, there can be some driver issues. With Chrome, I haven't had to load a single driver for all of my peripherals to work, just plug them in and they work.

I understand your privacy concerns about Google, but I know how to turn off everything they let us turn off. I use Google and chrome on all of my other PCs and I have an Android phone, so Google isn't getting any more info off of my use of the Chromebook than they were before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a little Acer 12" Chromebook I picked up super cheap a year or so ago for just web surfing while on the couch and works good but curious what kind of streaming apps are you using? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

You should know by now that I NEVER think something is the best just because I bought it. Maybe other people do that, but that's not how I think. I never said the Chromebook was best.

I wanted this for a very specific purpose, and the Chromebook does it better than any of my other laptops, due to it's light weight, screen size and lean OS. I also wanted a laptop that could charge off of a USB port so my battery power supply could recharge it. Do any of the laptops JD is talking about charge without a power supply? I don't think so. Yes, Linux runs on any platform, but as you pointed out, there can be some driver issues. With Chrome, I haven't had to load a single driver for all of my peripherals to work, just plug them in and they work.

I understand your privacy concerns about Google, but I know how to turn off everything they let us turn off. I use Google and chrome on all of my other PCs and I have an Android phone, so Google isn't getting any more info off of my use of the Chromebook than they were before.

I have a Lightning power supply that I use for back up in the side by side but now it won't charge. I guess all batteries have a short life. DON~~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, donparscale said:

I have a Lightning power supply that I use for back up in the side by side but now it won't charge. I guess all batteries have a short life. DON~~~

You can take it apart and replace the battery if you want. It might have an open somewhere in it, or it might just be worn out. I buy replacement batteries (name brand) on either Amazon or Ebay. I fixed a bunch of my Ryobi 18v lithium batteries by replacing the bad cells with new ones. I've replaced cell phone batteries, laptop batteries, a tablet battery, you name it. They can all be opened up and replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, socaldmax said:

You should know by now that I NEVER think something is the best just because I bought it. Maybe other people do that, but that's not how I think. I never said the Chromebook was best.

I wanted this for a very specific purpose, and the Chromebook does it better than any of my other laptops, due to it's light weight, screen size and lean OS. I also wanted a laptop that could charge off of a USB port so my battery power supply could recharge it. Do any of the laptops JD is talking about charge without a power supply? I don't think so. Yes, Linux runs on any platform, but as you pointed out, there can be some driver issues. With Chrome, I haven't had to load a single driver for all of my peripherals to work, just plug them in and they work.

I understand your privacy concerns about Google, but I know how to turn off everything they let us turn off. I use Google and chrome on all of my other PCs and I have an Android phone, so Google isn't getting any more info off of my use of the Chromebook than they were before.

Uh, I was saying you thought it was the best option available, so you bought it, nothing else. Just trying to have a discussion.

How does the Chromebook charge without a power supply? Wall is 120VAC, device runs on 5VDC (or whatever their native voltage is). 

Most of the driver issues are with hardware in the device, like if you tried Linux-ing your iPad. Peripherals are all easy and never had a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Uh, I was saying you thought it was the best option available, so you bought it, nothing else. Just trying to have a discussion.

How does the Chromebook charge without a power supply? Wall is 120VAC, device runs on 5VDC (or whatever their native voltage is). 

Most of the driver issues are with hardware in the device, like if you tried Linux-ing your iPad. Peripherals are all easy and never had a problem. 

But, you bought Chromebook, so of course you’re gonna think it’s the best thing.

THAT was the statement I was referring to. Again, I do NOT think it's the best thing just because I bought it. Read your own posts so you can better understand my reply. If you had said, "You did your research and you felt Chromebook was the best thing for your application" I would have agreed with you.

They way you worded it sounds like what so many others do around here: blindly defend their choice of whatever simply because that's what they bought, without any shred of evidence to prove it is better than any other. I'm still objective about anything I buy and I have specific facts about the item's performance or characteristics that guided my choice for that specific purpose, but I shy away from ever proclaiming that anything is overall "the best." 

As I stated in a previous post, I have a 150wh battery pack specifically for camping. I can simply plug the USB C cable into that and get a couple of charges off of it. The battery pack also recharges my camera batteries, headlamp batteries, GPS batteries, VHF radio batteries, tent lights, phone, powers my 12v inflator, etc. I also have a folding solar panel to recharge it. It's an entire power system designed around this portable battery. Kinda like Goal Zero, but at 1/4 the price. All of my other laptops need a power brick which would also require an inverter to provide the 110v. That's just extra weight. The 5v charging voltage provides the most efficient power storage solution compared to a laptop with a 110v power brick and in an inverter to power it. The Lenovo laptop does have a small 12v cig lighter buck charger, but it's only a 14" screen and I use that one primarily for work and just charge it in the car. 

I suppose I could have gone a different route and bought one of those micro projectors and just used one of my android streaming boxes playing movies off of my portable hard drives, but I'm not familiar with the different models and not sure if I could get the brightness I desire for as cheap as I want. So far, this is working out better than expected, developers write a lot of apps for an open source OS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure where to go on this one man. No need to get defensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I’m not sure where to go on this one man. No need to get defensive. 

You can start by not questioning my every post and just say, "Enjoy your new toy!"

That would probably shock me into a heart attack, but still well worth the risk.

:lol:

 

If the shoe were on the other foot, I'd say you obviously put some thought into this whole portable off grid power system for glamping and the chromebook seems like a good fit in that niche. I have no problem giving people credit when I feel it's due.

Edited by socaldmax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

You can start by not questioning my every post and just say, "Enjoy your new toy!"

That would probably shock me into a heart attack, but still well worth the risk.

:lol:

 

If the shoe were on the other foot, I'd say you obviously put some thought into this whole portable off grid power system for glamping and the chromebook seems like a good fit in that niche. I have no problem giving people credit when I feel it's due.

Enjoy your new toy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to wrap myself around the Chromebook concept, which I didn't even know existed until this topic was posted.

I'm a person who likes desktop PC's.  I don't hang out on my phone, and I don't like phone apps.  For instance, I've never tried to access this website from my phone.

But I'm a working software developer in my career, and I'm "supposed to" constantly be pushing the envelope for getting into new technologies.  And I do love technical things that somehow get me excited.  I also need to learn Xamarin so I can sell myself in interviews on having the ability to develop phone apps .

I also love YouTube!

So @socaldmax, if you can give me any advice to get me excited about buying a Chromebook, please do.  I would appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

I'm trying to wrap myself around the Chromebook concept, which I didn't even know existed until this topic was posted.

I'm a person who likes desktop PC's.  I don't hang out on my phone, and I don't like phone apps.  For instance, I've never tried to access this website from my phone.

But I'm a working software developer in my career, and I'm "supposed to" constantly be pushing the envelope for getting into new technologies.  And I do love technical things that somehow get me excited.  I also need to learn Xamarin so I can sell myself in interviews on having the ability to develop phone apps .

I also love YouTube!

So @socaldmax, if you can give me any advice to get me excited about buying a Chromebook, please do.  I would appreciate it.

Well, as JD and Rockwood have said, for general purpose use, one might be better served loading Linux on any old laptop. 

I enjoy streaming movies and TV shows via Terrarium TV, Netflix, Amazon, etc and they all have Android apps that work great. AFAIK, there aren't any Windoze apps for streaming like Kodi or Terrarium TV. I wanted a lightweight, sleek, 15.6" laptop that natively used Android apps and could charge off of a 5v USB cable, and the Chromebook fit the bill. It's basically just like an Android tablet or phone, but with a keyboard attached and a 15" screen. It weighs less than 4 lbs, which is a lot lighter than my other 15.6" laptop.

So far, every accessory I've plugged into it just worked, didn't need to install any device drivers. I can access all of my network printers via Cloud Print. It came with a 32GB SSD, but I added a 256GB microsd card and it treats that as if it was another hard drive. I can store plenty of movies and TV shows on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Well, as JD and Rockwood have said, for general purpose use, one might be better served loading Linux on any old laptop. 

I enjoy streaming movies and TV shows via Terrarium TV, Netflix, Amazon, etc and they all have Android apps that work great. AFAIK, there aren't any Windoze apps for streaming like Kodi or Terrarium TV. I wanted a lightweight, sleek, 15.6" laptop that natively used Android apps and could charge off of a 5v USB cable, and the Chromebook fit the bill. It's basically just like an Android tablet or phone, but with a keyboard attached and a 15" screen. It weighs less than 4 lbs, which is a lot lighter than my other 15.6" laptop.

So far, every accessory I've plugged into it just worked, didn't need to install any device drivers. I can access all of my network printers via Cloud Print. It came with a 32GB SSD, but I added a 256GB microsd card and it treats that as if it was another hard drive. I can store plenty of movies and TV shows on that.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it.  I'll go to Best Buy and check one out in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I am guessing Terrarium is an app available on chromebook? is that the app that has all the movies and stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, socaldmax said:

You can take it apart and replace the battery if you want. It might have an open somewhere in it, or it might just be worn out. I buy replacement batteries (name brand) on either Amazon or Ebay. I fixed a bunch of my Ryobi 18v lithium batteries by replacing the bad cells with new ones. I've replaced cell phone batteries, laptop batteries, a tablet battery, you name it. They can all be opened up and replaced.

I will take it apart and maybe you can help me find a new battery. It is handy to have, just in case. I have started other people's stuff but have never used it for myself. HA, DON~~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buggydave said:

So, I am guessing Terrarium is an app available on chromebook? is that the app that has all the movies and stuff?s

It's an app for Android devices that also works on Chrome. It's one of many TV and movie streaming apps available on the net. It also works on Firestick as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, donparscale said:

I will take it apart and maybe you can help me find a new battery. It is handy to have, just in case. I have started other people's stuff but have never used it for myself. HA, DON~~~

Sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, socaldmax said:

Well, as JD and Rockwood have said, for general purpose use, one might be better served loading Linux on any old laptop. 

I enjoy streaming movies and TV shows via Terrarium TV, Netflix, Amazon, etc and they all have Android apps that work great. AFAIK, there aren't any Windoze apps for streaming like Kodi or Terrarium TV. I wanted a lightweight, sleek, 15.6" laptop that natively used Android apps and could charge off of a 5v USB cable, and the Chromebook fit the bill. It's basically just like an Android tablet or phone, but with a keyboard attached and a 15" screen. It weighs less than 4 lbs, which is a lot lighter than my other 15.6" laptop.

So far, every accessory I've plugged into it just worked, didn't need to install any device drivers. I can access all of my network printers via Cloud Print. It came with a 32GB SSD, but I added a 256GB microsd card and it treats that as if it was another hard drive. I can store plenty of movies and TV shows on that.

Lets talk about Old Laptops.

Intel decided several years ago, that they had enough "Speed" and data through-put with the "Core 2 Duo Extreme".

That processor was Two Cores with two virtual cores equaling 4 cores.

Today, most Intel CPUs follow the same pattern, and are just "Re-branded" as i3, i5, i7, and the word is "Core".

Not 4 core, because they are really 2 + 2..

Why did they eff up like that?  Heat was the primary reason, with power consumption second.

As you may know, power equals heat.. Both not good for laptops.

A third consideration was the "Mobile" CPU. This was a special "Low Power" laptop issue. low power, low heat.

So, here we are a decade later, and very little had advanced from those days.

So then almost any Old Laptop is capable of running modern software.

If you see a laptop with the letter x in the CPU id, it's a true "Quad Core" CPU and with 4 virtual CPUs,

it reads  as 8 cores, and has 16 threads.

I do have a few of those, and as they require additional power, the adapter is HUGE.

Also, the true quad core laptops are not as light as some prefer, as the cooling fan is much larger.

And they all will run Linux, Unix, and Window$.

Ask me how I know.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, JDMeister said:

Lets talk about Old Laptops.

Intel decided several years ago, that they had enough "Speed" and data through-put with the "Core 2 Duo Extreme".

That processor was Two Cores with two virtual cores equaling 4 cores.

Today, most Intel CPUs follow the same pattern, and are just "Re-branded" as i3, i5, i7, and the word is "Core".

Not 4 core, because they are really 2 + 2..

Why did they eff up like that?  Heat was the primary reason, with power consumption second.

As you may know, power equals heat.. Both not good for laptops.

A third consideration was the "Mobile" CPU. This was a special "Low Power" laptop issue. low power, low heat.

So, here we are a decade later, and very little had advanced from those days.

So then almost any Old Laptop is capable of running modern software.

If you see a laptop with the letter x in the CPU id, it's a true "Quad Core" CPU and with 4 virtual CPUs,

it reads  as 8 cores, and has 16 threads.

I do have a few of those, and as they require additional power, the adapter is HUGE.

Also, the true quad core laptops are not as light as some prefer, as the cooling fan is much larger.

And they all will run Linux, Unix, and Window$.

Ask me how I know.

 

 

Spot on. I have one of those true 4 core laptops (from you, actually). They definitely don’t like sitting on your lap as the fan doesn’t get enough airflow and the CPU goes into protect. I stopped calling it a “laptop” and call it a mobile workstation instead. :bigrin 

Thing is still going strong 6 years later. Upgraded to an SSD and the processor and video card are still viable for today’s gaming. 

 

Chromebook hardware isn’t bad. If you have one and want to use it for more, Unbuntu is a free download away. :bigrin 

Edited by Rockwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Spot on. I have one of those true 4 core laptops (from you, actually). They definitely don’t like sitting on your lap as the fan doesn’t get enough airflow and the CPU goes into protect. I stopped calling it a “laptop” and call it a mobile workstation instead. :bigrin 

Thing is still going strong 6 years later. Upgraded to an SSD and the processor and video card are still viable for today’s gaming. 

 

Chromebook hardware isn’t bad. If you have one and want to use it for more, Unbuntu is a free download away. :bigrin 

Six years? :thumbup:

If you have an HP, the w indicates "Workstation" and stand alone video. Nice machines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JDMeister said:

Six years? :thumbup:

If you have an HP, the w indicates "Workstation" and stand alone video. Nice machines.

Yessir. Video card isn’t supported by everything, but I’ve found workarounds for most of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...