Grease Monkey

What are you changing or planning on doing differently this coming season?

This last season seemed to be a chore. Hard to get ready, no real food planning, no lists of what's in the trailer, what's needed. Etc. 

Most make that part of every trip. We didn't and it took it's toll. 

We have up sized so much in five years I somewhat miss the simple life of a cabover and an enclosed trailer. 

Not going back to that anytime soon but planning on planning better and spending more time this off season prepping the car and simplifying before the end of October.

I’ve got great plans for this year.  And most likely going to wait until the last week.  

If I have a good year at work, a new 2 seat Honda Talon! Some other things on the car. New rear cage and exhaust.

I'm changing a few things on my car...

20190526_173251.jpg

No longer storing.  Made the switch from 5th wheel and the two trailer shuffle to a Diesel Pusher.

Reminds me.  I should probably go out and start my sand car his weekend.  Been siting since last part of march!

Posted (edited)

I'm going to take numerous trips from Glamis to Duners Diner, and stop by Patton Valley on the way.....not focusing on the steep hill there, but the low lying dunes on the southern side.  No one needs to tell me about the BLM markers....I know :bigrin

I'm going to check out Ogilby and see if that's a good place for me to go multiple times and really get to know well.

There's a very good chance I may have a toy hauler for camping, and that will be a huge change!

Edited by Phoenix7

More trips!

I finally got all the bikes dialed in at the end of last season so that is a chore off my back. Only was able to do 3 trips. This season I hope for plenty more with a couple week long trips mixed in. 

New motor for the car. Was in limp mode for most of the season, kept trying to fix and it just didn't work out. Got out of "lists" and now take pics of everything in the cabinets. 

I'm getting older, slower, and forget stuff.  So I decided to get an early start this summer and do some work on the Moho, Enclosed, and Sand Rail.  I started by making a list of things to do for each one.

Has anyone seen my lists?

Whole new frame, which means fixing some of the things I've limped along for "just one more season", which means it took waaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than the couple of months I thought it would.

Hoping to go out more.  

@Grease Monkey doesn't matter what the rig you are in, if you over plan and over do it. It will start to suck the fun out of it. I use to love to get ready for the trip the planning of the meals the making sure I had this or that. These day's I just wing it more

I make sure the trailer has the basics at the beginning of the season and will make notes on my phone on things I need to bring back out next time.  I keep towels and some basic clothes that go back to the trailer each trip and keep them in a plastic tub ready to go at all times.  The list on my phone I will try and get taken care of right away once I get back and once I get those items they go into their plastic tub.  Even most of my food I will buy over the three weeks between trips, the dry foods, paper products and things like that go into, you guessed it their plastic tub.

When It's time to go to the dunes I throw a few plastic tubs in the truck, pack two coolers ( one has drinks the other is stuff that goes into the fridge) a couple of gas cans and the dogs and I am ready to go.  In less than an hour I can go from not going to the dunes to on the way to the dunes.

The two cooler method is a great way to go when storing.  The drink cooler I use ice, the stuff that is going to the fridge in the trailer I use blue ice.  I have maybe 4 of them  plus  freeze as much stuff as I can. This way I don't open the food cooler until the fridge is cold and my food doesn't get swamped by melted ice. Plus I can lift the coolers myself.

Go more (hoping for less rain).

9 trips and 42 days last season.

Shooting for 12 trips and 55 days this season.

Posted (edited)

A new motor, copy of current but with better parts (first was a prototype)  Bigger custom made one off cams, larger injectors, retune and test her at over 8000+ RPM & 800HP, get my boost controller working (last year was just spring pressure);) 

finish my front mounted tool box in my car and finally have tools with me.

I upgraded my front rotors last year, now going to change out my front calipers to some Pro Am units

wouldn't mind changing out my shifter, have an old single handle unit from Hargett that is just getting old, would never do single handle again.  I want a separate reverse

want to make some custom PS and alternator pullies to slow down the accessories (and free up some HP)  these accessories usually spin at 2-4K RPM but mine see 5-8K so last year I lost two alternators and the season ended from a PS pump that blew a seal.  I believe this was from constant over revving.

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

I can't imagine storing my stuff out there.  I park my toy hauler at my house and sandrail in the garage.  Everything is prepped and ready to go pretty quickly after I get back from a trip.  I can bounce with about 2 hours notice.  Things that are going to change?  Well, I'm in the process of getting divorced and I'll have the kids every other weekend.  I see a lot of Thursday night-to-Sunday trips in my future.

Extended Trips are the BEST . . .

1 hour ago, Sand Diva said:

Extended Trips are the BEST . . .

Yes they are

Even back in the old days I was a bare minimalist, Friday night and Saturday night Glamis beach store pizza and subs. Saturday morning Sunday morning vendors row breakfast burrito. As the season goes along I’ll fix things on the bikes or the toybox We get through the three day weekend, so I see no change in the future!, my next stop is retirement Ville!!!!!!

63E845DC-A9E9-42EC-A17E-9C9C03B869B7.jpeg

1 hour ago, CHIZZLE said:

I can't imagine storing my stuff out there.  I park my toy hauler at my house and sandrail in the garage.  Everything is prepped and ready to go pretty quickly after I get back from a trip.  I can bounce with about 2 hours notice.  Things that are going to change?  Well, I'm in the process of getting divorced and I'll have the kids every other weekend.  I see a lot of Thursday night-to-Sunday trips in my future.

Sorry to hear that. Hope everything goes smoothly and you guys keep the kids best interest in mind. Things can get ugly. Good luck. 

Lots of changes coming up this next season, hoping they don't keep me from going....we will see.

Kids ALL need new rides that's for sure.

2 hours ago, MWB said:

@Grease Monkey doesn't matter what the rig you are in, if you over plan and over do it. It will start to suck the fun out of it. I use to love to get ready for the trip the planning of the meals the making sure I had this or that. These day's I just wing it more

I make sure the trailer has the basics at the beginning of the season and will make notes on my phone on things I need to bring back out next time.  I keep towels and some basic clothes that go back to the trailer each trip and keep them in a plastic tub ready to go at all times.  The list on my phone I will try and get taken care of right away once I get back and once I get those items they go into their plastic tub.  Even most of my food I will buy over the three weeks between trips, the dry foods, paper products and things like that go into, you guessed it their plastic tub.

When It's time to go to the dunes I throw a few plastic tubs in the truck, pack two coolers ( one has drinks the other is stuff that goes into the fridge) a couple of gas cans and the dogs and I am ready to go.  In less than an hour I can go from not going to the dunes to on the way to the dunes.

The two cooler method is a great way to go when storing.  The drink cooler I use ice, the stuff that is going to the fridge in the trailer I use blue ice.  I have maybe 4 of them  plus  freeze as much stuff as I can. This way I don't open the food cooler until the fridge is cold and my food doesn't get swamped by melted ice. Plus I can lift the coolers myself.

two cooler method is the best, been doing that forever since I did have a trailer. and now im back to doing that since I don't have a trailer again. but hope to have one this season but im good sleeping in the truck if I don't. 

actually thinking of selling all my desert stuff...…….that's a big change.

Posted (edited)

Maybe hire a personal assistant :lol: to do all the work for me  :sdiva:

On a seriously note. . .  I'm getting use to doing everything  and very thankful to my the group for helping and teaching me.  Hopefully this coming season it won't take as long.

Edited by Sand Diva

Sold my car I had for many years and bought a new to me desert dynamics: Zero trips 

Will have our 1st child in a few weeks

Sold my 5th wheel, bought a new to me pusher and 24' enclosed: Both zero trips

-That being said, a lot of things might go wrong on the 1st trip next season :kg:

As you can see I'm getting a great head start on prepping for our trip to Idaho in August, and the rest of the season...

The new project I brought home last night, which my buddies have named "Glamath" (mike tyson voice)

IMG_9481.thumb.jpg.e1bb3ebfef97631779621ab0efc666ae.jpg

IMG_9486.thumb.jpg.c24d6959c2d5f163e3bebfae7daf21f0.jpg

But to actually focus on the season, I'm going to do a full prep to the car and run it for another season. My pops and I spent so much time last summer building this car and I had a ton of plans of cosmetic things I wanted to do this summer, but I think i'm just going to go drive it and have a good time with it!