Grease Monkey

What are you changing or planning on doing differently this coming season?

One or the other, buy more gas, or put car up for sale.

More trips to river and beyond, less trips to sand. As Mama said, I got to choose for about 15 years where we went and what we did, it is her turn now, and she likes full hookups, water nearby, her new to her boat, and if i am good, i get to bring the X3... :sha: 

Well, there is a lot of riding where we have been going, so... 

15 minutes ago, acefuture said:

As you can see I'm getting a great head start on prepping for our trip to Idaho in August, and the rest of the season...

The new project I brought home last night, which my buddies have named "Glamath" (mike tyson voice)

IMG_9481.thumb.jpg.e1bb3ebfef97631779621ab0efc666ae.jpg

IMG_9486.thumb.jpg.c24d6959c2d5f163e3bebfae7daf21f0.jpg

But to actually focus on the season, I'm going to do a full prep to the car and run it for another season. My pops and I spent so much time last summer building this car and I had a ton of plans of cosmetic things I wanted to do this summer, but I think i'm just going to go drive it and have a good time with it!

Bitchen little skiff!

7 minutes ago, WLD-OTZ said:

More trips to river and beyond, less trips to sand. As Mama said, I got to choose for about 15 years where we went and what we did, it is her turn now, and she likes full hookups, water nearby, her new to her boat, and if i am good, i get to bring the X3... :sha: 

Well, there is a lot of riding where we have been going, so... 

Same Boat @WLD-OTZ

Just Closed Escrow in Bullhead City.  All the toys are going to the river house.  Lots of riding out of my Driveway and out to Oatman for ICBs.

23 minutes ago, bajabug44 said:

Sold my car I had for many years and bought a new to me desert dynamics: Zero trips 

Will have our 1st child in a few weeks

Sold my 5th wheel, bought a new to me pusher and 24' enclosed: Both zero trips

-That being said, a lot of things might go wrong on the 1st trip next season :kg:

If your trip goes anything like mine have been going... I would do a few micro trips before.

Posted (edited)

Just get more organized for trips since we both work so much and then rush out It’s a simple answer really and when we are about to leave Glamis both take note on what we need or don’t need for next trip, it seems to always be other things having to be taken taken care of before we leave home and leaving Glamis that gets us distracted. We should start by getting the sand rail , ATC and baby quad out of the RV and get it ready for October, oh yah that’s right we are too busy working  and other things. 

Edited by Hexnutz
S

I store clothes, some non-perishable foods, etc...  I keep things stocked the best I can.  I do this so not to ruin a trip if I forget things.

I have a big green parachute bag.  I pack all things from each trip, take them home, wash, replace, whatever.  Then big green bag goes back to the trailer each trip.

I am putting together a box of stuff for my car over the summer.  I had it put together for my RZR but never got one together for my new car since I got it half way through the season.

In the past, I've had a note pad out out and would write things down during the trip and make sure and tear it off to take home as a to do list. 

hopefully i burn more fuel...

After my truck and sons quad was stolen, decided to sell what was left.  Trailer, truck and Rzr have been sold, taking next season off to regroup ☹️

Posted (edited)

My kids are getting older. The 20, 22 and 26 year olds don't really go on trips anymore. The 13 year old and the bride come about 1/2 the time. So glad that I now have a 5th wheel. I've been parsing down stuff I don't need. The quicker I can get unloaded and start playing, the happier I am.

At my peek I had the sand car, 2 box shuffle and 6 quads, riding gear for everyone, tons of bins. Now I'm just down to the Razor and my 13 year olds KFX80 quad.  

Sold my Raptor 700R, gave away my picnic table and I'm not even going to bring the dumb outside mat. Gonna give that away too. My unpack should be really simple this year, a few camp chairs, roll out the Razor and kid quad. I'm only going to bring one fold out table. Very fortunate that the (new to me) 5th wheel has a much larger storage area than my old tow behind. I can keep all my mainanence bins, fluids, and other stuff in there. 

I should be able to unload and set-up in about 5 minutes.

Other change .. well not really a change, is how many times I'm going to Glamis. Only 2-3 trips. Doing more dirt lately. My Razor is the 'belt burner.' I did put an inline fan and guage so we'll see if that helps. Also, since I'm lazy, I only run dirt tires (hate changing tires). I don't own paddles and have no intention of getting them. 

Bottom line, the razor is a little underpowered for Glamis. You just have to wind her up and stay between 30mph-50mph in the dunes and keep up the momentum. In a couple years, I'll probably replace her with a turbo 2 seater and then I might do more Glamis trips.

Everyone have a GREAT season... keep yo head on a swivel!

Be safe! Remember to teach any newbies what to look out for.

abc 

Edited by ANGRYBUTTCRACK

5 hours ago, lincster said:

Go more (hoping for less rain).

9 trips and 42 days last season.

Shooting for 12 trips and 55 days this season.

Very nice!  I had 40 days last season but a few were 2 and 3 day trips.  I did a wish list on my calendar the other day for the upcoming season October through Easter weekend in April.  I have 8 trips for a total of 38 days planned, nothing under 4 days.  Trying  to do 7 days for T-Day week and 10 days over New Years week.

1 hour ago, Mac said:

I store clothes, some non-perishable foods, etc...  I keep things stocked the best I can.  I do this so not to ruin a trip if I forget things.

I have a big green parachute bag.  I pack all things from each trip, take them home, wash, replace, whatever.  Then big green bag goes back to the trailer each trip.

I am putting together a box of stuff for my car over the summer.  I had it put together for my RZR but never got one together for my new car since I got it half way through the season.

In the past, I've had a note pad out out and would write things down during the trip and make sure and tear it off to take home as a to do list. 

Do the same, $20 each for the bags at a military surplus store. Great for any activity that has a bunch of specialized equipment (like Jeep camping).

7 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Do the same, $20 each for the bags at a military surplus store. Great for any activity that has a bunch of specialized equipment (like Jeep camping).

I just get the plastic totes they bring out before Christmas and put on sale just after Christmas and about the middle of February when they are getting ready to have to clear the space for whatever and have them at almost half off I buy a few. I just make sure they all have locking lids.  This year I am going to get a couple longer ones than the rest I have, maybe a taller one two so I can put liquor bottles standing up.

1 minute ago, MWB said:

I just get the plastic totes they bring out before Christmas and put on sale just after Christmas and about the middle of February when they are getting ready to have to clear the space for whatever and have them at almost half off I buy a few. I just make sure they all have locking lids.  This year I am going to get a couple longer ones than the rest I have, maybe a taller one two so I can put liquor bottles standing up.

Problem with the totes is they take up the same amount of space empty or not. 

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Problem with the totes is they take up the same amount of space empty or not. 

Problem with big green bags is I have to just about empty them to see what is inside :sha: .

Oh and the totes all go out with stuff in them so if they come back empty and take the same amount of room where is the rub, It's not like the bed of my truck shrank :sha:  My Car isn't going to fit into the bed so it's not like I am saving space for something else.

2 hours ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

My kids are getting older. The 20, 22 and 26 year olds don't really go on trips anymore. The 13 year old and the bride come about 1/2 the time. So glad that I now have a 5th wheel. I've been parsing down stuff I don't need. The quicker I can get unloaded and start playing, the happier I am.

At my peek I had the sand car, 2 box shuffle and 6 quads, riding gear for everyone, tons of bins. Now I'm just down to the Razor and my 13 year olds KFX80 quad.  

Sold my Raptor 700R, gave away my picnic table and I'm not even going to bring the dumb outside mat. Gonna give that away too. My unpack should be really simple this year, a few camp chairs, roll out the Razor and kid quad. I'm only going to bring one fold out table. Very fortunate that the (new to me) 5th wheel has a much larger storage area than my old tow behind. I can keep all my mainanence bins, fluids, and other stuff in there. 

I should be able to unload and set-up in about 5 minutes.

Other change .. well not really a change, is how many times I'm going to Glamis. Only 2-3 trips. Doing more dirt lately. My Razor is the 'belt burner.' I did put an inline fan and guage so we'll see if that helps. Also, since I'm lazy, I only run dirt tires (hate changing tires). I don't own paddles and have no intention of getting them. 

Bottom line, the razor is a little underpowered for Glamis. You just have to wind her up and stay between 30mph-50mph in the dunes and keep up the momentum. In a couple years, I'll probably replace her with a turbo 2 seater and then I might do more Glamis trips.

Everyone have a GREAT season... keep yo head on a swivel!

Be safe! Remember to teach any newbies what to look out for.

abc 

I'm similar to you in that I'm doing more dirt lately.

I never heard of an inline fan before.  I'll ask my Can Am shop about that.

If you bought paddles for Glamis, I think it would help you to drive more efficiently and therefore preserve your belt.  I love looking at my 29" GBC Dirt Commanders mounted on my Maverick in the garage every day, but I will take the time to change to sand tires before each Glamis trip, just to keep it real over there.

1 hour ago, MWB said:

Problem with big green bags is I have to just about empty them to see what is inside :sha: .

Oh and the totes all go out with stuff in them so if they come back empty and take the same amount of room where is the rub, It's not like the bed of my truck shrank :sha:  My Car isn't going to fit into the bed so it's not like I am saving space for something else.

Word. For Jeep stuff, it’s great because I can just shove all the bags in the corner of the tent when they’re empty. 

Just did changes last season so not sure for next season.

WEll since I dont have a "TOY" as of right now and in the Process of putting the ToyHauler up for sale  we will see what will Happen By Vets Weekend..All my plans as of right now revolve around Vets weekend and doing my thing as usual...What I do Look forward to is More sunsets with Friends in the dunes and Getting to spend time with Great Friends Out there..

Repaint the motorhome and box trailer a different color and wear a disguise so maybe the assclowns will leave me alone.

:sraptor:

Sold the 5th wheel.  Tired of winching in and doing the tire shuffle.  This year I'm just going to rent a few different pushers to get a feel for size vs power vs cost ( gas and diesel) and flat bed the car out.   

10 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Repaint the motorhome and box trailer a different color and wear a disguise so maybe the assclowns will leave me alone.

Maybe if you were not a foot taller than every body else you could blend in better

11 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

How long you think that’ll last? :bigrin 

12 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Are you sure it's the motorhome they recognize?

No upgrades to the car this summer....other than going to Ipad from GPS because it stopped working last trip.  Sold the 24x8 enclosed....bought a 24x8.5.  No more tire changes!!!  Did that for the last 10 years!  I should be able to pull up, hit the auto level, slides out, drop the ramp, back out, flip up the whip and hit the dunes!!  In theory anyway...LOL  Hoping to get more trips in this season, my motor builder killed my season last year.  I miss the ole days of throwing the quad in the back of the truck, stopping by Lucky's and grabbing a couple boxes of Coors Lights and we were on the road.  Life was so simple back then. 

~jw