Flip-Flop

Sand Rail and a Side X Side

Wondering how many out there have both a Sand Rail and a Side X Side that you use exclusively in Glamis or other dunes.

I love my Sand Rail and I'm not willing to give it up, but with all of the new Side X Side introductions and their technology it's difficult not to give them some thought. 

So why not both?

Just another expensive toy! :lol:

I have both, and will be bringing both to the dunes next year.  You know, in case I wad something up...

What the heck Ken, are you bored or something? :lol:

Don’t be hating on a man that want to come over to the dark side. 

I have both.   

My wife likes to drive her own machine when she comes out with us and i like having a "spare" machine around if I tear mine up.

It also lets us invite a non-duner with us sometimes knowing there is always an extra seat or two available when needed.

17 minutes ago, nyceguy01 said:

I have both.   

My wife likes to drive her own machine when she comes out with us and i like having a "spare" machine around if I tear mine up.

It also lets us invite a non-duner with us sometimes knowing there is always an extra seat or two available when needed.

We do both also for the same reasons as above.

I think it’s about over for the side-by-side’s, that parents cannot get a grip on parenting!, may God rest the little girls soul!..

0A392EB5-4391-49D9-8771-ED06B3166907.png

Funco and X3 rs here, we take them both to the sand but I do so to give the kids a chance to drive their friends. Takes us from 4 seats to 6 seats. I'll be selling the x3rs soon though, too much of a pita getting it all out there

We have both. Being in Colorado the rail only gets used 1 or 2 times a year. Dunes only.  Rzr for everthing else. If there is room on a buddies trailer Ill pay for gas and or loan them a trailer for them to haul my rzr to the dunes. Just in case the rail has an issue. Plus I like having the rzr to follow/lead my kids around on their quads with also.

I would sell the rail, but I feel much safer with my kids in the  big dunes in the rail riding with me than in the rzr. 

20190328_181207.jpg

These rides are better in the rzr.

20190324_182617.jpg

20190324_182647.jpg

Some good responses to think about.  But what if it was just you and your Sand Rail.  Your wife or significant other always rides with you and has no desire to drive.  All your kids, family and friends have their own rides.

Would you still have a Side X Side to complement your Sand Rail in the dunes?  Or would the Side X Side just be a back up to the Sand Rail as others have said.  When would you choose the Side X Side over the Sand Rail?  Is there a benefit to having both for the dunes?  If so, what are those circumstances?

15 hours ago, raspadoo said:

Funco and X3 rs here, we take them both to the sand but I do so to give the kids a chance to drive their friends. Takes us from 4 seats to 6 seats. I'll be selling the x3rs soon though, too much of a pita getting it all out there

I will trade you for my XDS, MUCH easier to get out, being narrower, not a PITA at all, you'll love it, trust me. 

I carry everything with me, quads, sxs and rail.  If it was just me than I would just keep your rail and enjoy.  Think my SxS get about 200 miles a year and that is glamis and other spots I would love just to take out Just the rail.  Life is simple then. 

Most of my group is in SxS's so I will be using mine when they insist on going on rides in the small stuff.  A couple of my riding buddies like to ride their SxS's more like a sand car anyway, so on their rides the sand car will be perfect.

11 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Most of my group is in SxS's so I will be using mine when they insist on going on rides in the small stuff.  A couple of my riding buddies like to ride their SxS's more like a sand car anyway, so on their rides the sand car will be perfect.

You will be driving that sandrail 99.9% of the time.

Unless you plan on using the SxS for other area's I wouldn't bother getting one.  You being the retired type you could do all kinds of other destinations though So a SxS would be more useful than say a Jeep.  If you have both a SxS and the Rail and they both fit, I would bring it with you when you go to the dunes.  But I wouldn't do the two trailer shuffle.

Sure you would use the Rail 90% of the time but running to the garbage cans or to another camp or even across camp the SxS would be fine.   

Having the SxS would expand your destinations year round and you might find yourself going more places with a lot of different groups.

11 hours ago, Flip-Flop said:

Some good responses to think about.  But what if it was just you and your Sand Rail.  Your wife or significant other always rides with you and has no desire to drive.  All your kids, family and friends have their own rides.

Would you still have a Side X Side to complement your Sand Rail in the dunes?  Or would the Side X Side just be a back up to the Sand Rail as others have said.  When would you choose the Side X Side over the Sand Rail?  Is there a benefit to having both for the dunes?  If so, what are those circumstances?

No.

Unless you like to travel outside the Glamis Sand Dune area from your camp spot in Glamis, no benefit.

Extra work to bring a SXS nobody needs to use for a seat/driver would get old fast, and extra $$.

a buddy here in havasu has 2 x3's and a high power rail.  the rail sits 90% of the time.  his x3's one is stock and the other one is modified and tuned somewhere in the 220hp neighborhood. he puts hundreds of miles on it each trip. his rail is currently for sale too.

i have my rail that i love to drive, but i am heavily leaning towards a x3 in the future when funds allow.

I have both and take both. I also use both every trip. It is good to have a farm implement (Polaris XPT) around when the occasion arises, like slow rides with other sxs's, hauling trash etc.. Still rather be in the rail 90% of the time.. If you have the means to haul both, they compliment each other nicely.

The turbo SXSs are a lot of fun in the dunes, open desert, trails and just about everywhere.  Having both and trying to bring them to the dunes would be a lot of work.  Especially if you can not get both on one trailer.  A lot of extra work to watch one of them sit in camp.   

If you plan of doing more trail and open desert stuff a SXS is the ticket.  

Posted (edited)

I have my SxS, and I have zero desire to get a sand rail.  The main thing going though my mind these days is trying take some steps to buy a toy hauler, so I can enjoy the camping experience like everyone else does, in all locations, sand and all-terrain.  This is one of the side effects of starting OHV riding late in my life.  Other things that would be way ahead of ever getting a sand rail would be a 2500 truck, a better SxS, and a Jeep, in that exact order.

Edited by Phoenix7

I've always had a sand rail and used to bring a 900XP to the sand too, but never used it. Used the XP everywhere else. added  a X3 recently and plan on taking this to the dunes with the rail. The Xp was fun in the dunes but just didn't have a enough power. The X3 should be fun in the sand, so we'll see.

6 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

You will be driving that sandrail 99.9% of the time.

I hope it is only broke .1% of the time, but I do not have the greatest track record.  9 day long trips can be hard on the gear.  

Backup only if it was just me..  My rzr is just short enough to fit in the trailer with the buggy, Id need a longer trailer for 2 buggies..lol