Flip-Flop

Sand Rail and a Side X Side

I have a 2 seat LS SR (sand only) & YXZ, Usually bring both, but I’m stingy and don’t bring it for other People to hammer.  The YXZ is my desert toy but I have paddles and smoothies and bring it for a back up and leave it in the trailer. Last season that paid off when I broke the oil pump gear on day one of a 5 day trip. It kept me from being the camp drunk! I think it would be a waste of money to buy a SXS just for the heck of ......... but if your dying to spend more money, I suggest buying another rail 🤑

19 hours ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

I hope it is only broke .1% of the time, but I do not have the greatest track record.  9 day long trips can be hard on the gear.  

As long as you don't ride in the high blinding sun you will be fine.  

A friend of mine told me he would never buy a SXS..He has a High dollar big HP buggy he loves to rip around in..He gave in and got a great deal on a 4 seat SXS so he bought it..He took Both too the dunes his last trip of the Season..His wife enjoyed the trip so much more as she had something she was comfortable driving and He found himself not sitting in camp as much because with both toys he always had someone else to go out with..Funny thing is the guy who said those things are nothing but Golf carts has currently used his SXS more in the last 4 months than he used his Buggy all Year..He takes it  to Havasu and the desert and many different areas...So now he tells me I will for sure Have both toys at the dunes next Year...

I have my 4 seat sandcar, and I love it.  I bought a 2015 RZR4 new (non-turbo), under the excuse of being for the wife.   My wife does get car sick riding in the buggy with me, so it was an easy sell!  I didn't take both until this last riding season, where I took both every trip.  We had a fantastic season, and a lot of fun.  I got lucky, where I never needed a backup due to breakage. 

I have driven the RZR in the dunes, and while it goes everywhere and does everything I just do not find it near as enjoyable as the buggy.  I have a much more exciting driving experience in the buggy.  My wife drives the wheels off the RZR, and keeps right up on most rides with the buggy.  The RZR is a supplement, but in my opinion NOT a replacement for the buggy.  I have heard many people say otherwise, though.  I guess it varies for each person, and I am sure driving styles affect that a lot as well.

I will say, that we use our RZR for many other things that I would never do with my sand car.  I have had the RZR in the snow, mud, open desert, rock crawling and street driving in Havasu.  I keep the RZR in Havasu all summer, and drive it like a car (we have the street registration there) and off road when we can.  I really love the RZR and enjoy everything we do and have done with it, but I will never sell the buggy with the intent of being replaced by a SXS.  There just is no comparison in my opinion, in the dunes.  If budget only allowed one, it would be a tough decision.

Posted (edited)

I'm very happy with the razors I have had over the years . They have really come along way .The POLARIS   S.   HAS A AWESOME DYNAMIX RIDE TECHNOLOGIE

GVNvnpFATI2Fbj%YGQJyow.jpg

Edited by DEV'S RZR

I contemplated selling the buggy and going to a SxS, but once I started figuring out the cost, the SxS I would build with would cost more than my rail and have less in every performance category.  I know hard pack and such, I still ride a two wheeler (plated in CA) for hard pack.  Even worse, I am usually alone or have 1 passenger in a 4 seat car now, my boys are all on their two wheelers in the dunes.  Hard to replace something that works and the upkeep is close to the same, just don't have a warranty :)

But I could see once I am retired moving to a SxS to explore Utah and such, or maybe both?

NOT even thinking about selling my Sand Rail.  

Hope to have it until the day I die.  Then have the kids put me in it, light it on fire, and push it down China Wall.  :ex:

14 minutes ago, Flip-Flop said:

NOT even thinking about selling my Sand Rail.  

Hope to have it until the day I die.  Then have the kids put me in it, light it on fire, and push it down China Wall.  :ex:

Or you could get a RZR and have it self immolate. 

On 6/23/2019 at 11:35 PM, Flip-Flop said:

Some good responses to think about.  But what if it was just you and your Sand Rail.  Your wife or significant other always rides with you and has no desire to drive.  All your kids, family and friends have their own rides.

Would you still have a Side X Side to complement your Sand Rail in the dunes?  Or would the Side X Side just be a back up to the Sand Rail as others have said.  When would you choose the Side X Side over the Sand Rail?  Is there a benefit to having both for the dunes?  If so, what are those circumstances?

I fall into that group. My wife loves going to the dunes but has no desire to drive and all my friends have their own toys.

I don't have both yet, but I will. We love the rail, and dont really have any desire to choose a sxs over it in the dunes, but we want one for all the other places we want to go where the sandrail wont or shouldn't go. Local trails/moab/arizona/etc.

Have both, both go to sand and dirt. 

D2CFB9B7-F46A-4858-82FB-EBD139E39B83.jpeg

EE3D1001-1944-429F-A5CE-DD7DE1BBA550.jpeg

26 minutes ago, cola said:

That is one long trailer!!!!!

On 7/5/2019 at 11:42 AM, cola said:

Does having that BIG of a trailer cause the slide out on the MOHO not work properly?

On 7/11/2019 at 10:26 PM, Flip-Flop said:

Does having that BIG of a trailer cause the slide out on the MOHO not work properly?

Nice try but no, son was closing the compartment door.