Jump to content
JM PRO

Handling characteristics of 2006 Desert Dynamics car in the sand

Recommended Posts

I am looking at buying a 2006 DD car and am looking for some feedback from people who have owned one or have ridden in one. This model I am looking at has a 136" wheelbase 4 seater with a LS1/2D combo with triple by-pass on all 4 corners. My main concern is how does the car fishtail or slide especially with that long of a wheelbase? How does the car compare to lets say a Funco Gen. 4 or 5 comparing how predictable the car slides and how flat the car stays in its turns? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2006 DD and I love it.  Coming from a mid travel Explorer beam car I couldn't be happier 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they handle very well. ive never driven a gen 4 or 5 funco so i cant compare it to them. sliding is very predictable though since you pretty much have to manipulate the car to a degree to get it to slide. it doesnt just slide out in a turn unless you want it to if that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an 08 with an LS1/2D with 4 corner bypasses and the car is absolute blast. I was apprehensive prior to the build that it wouldn't drive the way i'd hope it would in the sand and that it was built more for straight line desert stuff but I was presently surprised. I would put a turning brake in it, it helps quite a bit.

But from what i've heard from Funco owners, nothing compares to them in terms of handling so I wouldn't necessarily compare the two haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I built my car in 06.  I absolutely love the car!!  I do not think you will be disappointed.  The a-arm style gives the car a lot of stability compared to a true a-arm design.  I slide my car like crazy, and I do not have a turning brake.  I found I like 22 psi in the paddles, and come into a turn hot, let off the gas, and turn the car.  When you're ready to straighten out, hit the gas.  The car is very predictable.  This car is extremely wide, which is a huge benefit for everything except loading it in a trailer.  I love my car in every way until then!!

IMAG0406.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had an 06 4seat DD with an LS1/2D. And as stated above, I had great success duning it. We duned with several mid engine guys who thought they were going to leave us, and we were always right there turn for turn and that was without a turning brake.   I found that to initiate a turn , a lot of times I would "square it off" and mostly steer with the throttle.. You'd unload/chop the throttle and simultaneously with the resulting engine braking ,turn the steering wheel which transfers & plants the outside front wheel. As soon as the car is set up , and the turn has been initiated, you get back on the gas; breaking the rear tires loose and as described above, you more or less "drift"  it through the corner and steer and throttle out.. I ran #1 paddles which tend to spin a lot more. I do throw a lot of sand, and no one liked  following me close. Not sure why LOL.

Edited by SCHMIDTY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a Buggy works, SandCar, converted Sandcar to a Dual Sport and now a Prerunner Chassis, 

the Handling is great, sliding depends on the Chassis the Sandcar Arms are about 3'' per side wider, so the sand car slides amazing, if it is a buggy works than you can purchase the arms from Kartek for the wider arms, 

personally they are a tad heavier in the front than I like with a Aluminum block, I personally like bid HP or a light front end like a Dirt Bike so I prefer the iron block in the DD cars.  you will not find a more copied chassis than a Desert Dynamics, just about everyone has copied the spindles and Kartek has most parts for them on the shelf, 

one of my favorite builders is the DD cars 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Never drove a DD, but I 2nd 2DASAND opinion about PSI. I also ran at 22 PSI. Many in my sand car group (when I had one) ran really low, like 12-14 PSI. I liked the 'solid' back end feel and it made it easier to slide. I LOVED sliding my car around. Too low PSI and it's all gummy and unpredictable.

Plus it will be easier on your axles and transmission to run that higher PSI.

$.02 .. have FUN!

abc

Edited by ANGRYBUTTCRACK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just buy it and have  kevin show u how to drive it . 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditto everything mentioned above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are all 2006 models the 136" wheelbase?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SCHMIDTY said:

I had an 06 4seat DD with an LS1/2D. And as stated above, I had great success duning it. We duned with several mid engine guys who thought they were going to leave us, and we were always right there turn for turn and that was without a turning brake.   I found that to initiate a turn , a lot of times I would "square it off" and mostly steer with the throttle.. You'd unload/chop the throttle and simultaneously with the resulting engine braking ,turn the steering wheel which transfers & plants the outside front wheel. As soon as the car is set up , and the turn has been initiated, you get back on the gas; breaking the rear tires loose and as described above, you more or less "drift"  it through the corner and steer and throttle out.. I ran #1 paddles which tend to spin a lot more. I do throw a lot of sand, and no one liked  following me close. Not sure why LOL.

This ☝️

 I have an '06 DD. It slides great and is very predictable.  I added a turning brake just for the fun factor.  It's surprisingly nimble for a bigger car.  I also put a sway bar in back so it flat turns now...super fun in the sand.

~jw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2019 at 2:21 PM, J Alper said:

I have had a Buggy works, SandCar, converted Sandcar to a Dual Sport and now a Prerunner Chassis, 

the Handling is great, sliding depends on the Chassis the Sandcar Arms are about 3'' per side wider, so the sand car slides amazing, if it is a buggy works than you can purchase the arms from Kartek for the wider arms, 

personally they are a tad heavier in the front than I like with a Aluminum block, I personally like bid HP or a light front end like a Dirt Bike so I prefer the iron block in the DD cars.  you will not find a more copied chassis than a Desert Dynamics, just about everyone has copied the spindles and Kartek has most parts for them on the shelf, 

one of my favorite builders is the DD cars 

^^mine too. It really is too bad Dave can't pull his act together and run a solid business.. I think when he was on  his game, his chassis were one of the best out there, and highly under-rated. I cannot wait to get my current Pre-Runner DD build completed ('06 frame , 1.75" fully tigged frame, centermount A-arm car )

Edited by SCHMIDTY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my 06 dd I've had this car for a few years now put a ls1 with a s4 and it's a beast out there  in those dunes wider the better not the fastest car out there but he can hang and some... great choice if u ask me loading is a pain changing tires but you got nothing but time out there go for it 

20181109_151511.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a buddy with one. It has the LS N/A V8 and S4. Followed him for 1000s of dune miles and the car is bad ass. I rode in it a few rides and as a passenger I would describe it as more plush than my Gen 4.  My car feels a little flatter in the turns if that makes sense. My car is also a v6 turbo with intercooler and S4 so it is heavy. A subie Funco with 2d will work a lot different than my car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

48416072_10157971908764428_2640577826662645760_o.thumb.jpg.d47ba3bafb044e9a1cf47563d0978e16.jpg

Love my '06. Will be adding a turning brake this season just to help it a little bit. I tend to run 20-22psi in the back so that it slides a little more. Very predictable car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2019 at 1:29 PM, Glamisduneripper said:

48416072_10157971908764428_2640577826662645760_o.thumb.jpg.d47ba3bafb044e9a1cf47563d0978e16.jpg

Love my '06. Will be adding a turning brake this season just to help it a little bit. I tend to run 20-22psi in the back so that it slides a little more. Very predictable car. 

Are those 35.5's on the rear?  S4 or S4D?  How does the trans handle it?  I'm considering going to 35's because I hit the cage sometimes.

 

~jw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jwest2sh said:

Are those 35.5's on the rear?  S4 or S4D?  How does the trans handle it?  I'm considering going to 35's because I hit the cage sometimes.

 

~jw

I helped build that car . Originally it was owned by one of the  3 owners of  3D sandcars, before they disbanded. Unless the car has been changed, and I doubt it has, it has a regular  Mendeola S-4 in it. He always ran 35.5 #2 cut.. I dont think he ever had the trans out  in all the years he had it, so I would say its pretty reliable..  He sold it to a  Nascar guy  who also had a clothing line.. I think he sold it to someone else, and then this guy??  I don't know  how often it has been out after he  sold it though.   The Nascar guy hardly ever drove it..  

Edited by SCHMIDTY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCHMIDTY said:

I helped build that car . Originally it was owned by one of the  3 owners of  3D sandcars, before they disbanded. Unless the car has been changed, and I doubt it has, it has a regular  Mendeola S-4 in it. He always ran 35.5 #2 cut.. I dont think he ever had the trans out  in all the years he had it, so I would say its pretty reliable..  He sold it to a  Nascar guy  who also had a clothing line.. I think he sold it to someone else, and then this guy??  I don't know  how often it has been out after he  sold it though.   The Nascar guy hardly ever drove it..  

Yupp 35.5's. S4 Trans does just fine. Im more concerned about my current lack of 2" hollows in the front. That will be fixed this summer. 

It was out for a total of about 20 days this season and I had a backup car with me the whole time so it was driven like it was stolen. Ripped off the Supercharger Pulley and finally smoked the tired engine this season but Trans is still perfect. 

Trans was refreshed after the 16-17 season by Rancho. Engine was rebuilt right before last trip so the real test will be this coming season. 

I run 20-22 psi just so its a little easier on the trans but I have run it with 15psi no problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Glamisduneripper said:

Yupp 35.5's. S4 Trans does just fine. Im more concerned about my current lack of 2" hollows in the front. That will be fixed this summer. 

It was out for a total of about 20 days this season and I had a backup car with me the whole time so it was driven like it was stolen. Ripped off the Supercharger Pulley and finally smoked the tired engine this season but Trans is still perfect. 

Trans was refreshed after the 16-17 season by Rancho. Engine was rebuilt right before last trip so the real test will be this coming season. 

I run 20-22 psi just so its a little easier on the trans but I have run it with 15psi no problems. 

Good to know.  Thanks!  Nice car!!!

 

~jw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...