jwest2sh

Lead Nav vs Lowrance GPS

I use LeadNav and I like it a lot.  Like anything else (Lowrance GPS included)  If you don't learn how to use it it ain't no good.

In my group I'm always getting the navigation questions even though every other car has a Lowrance.   Not because the leadnav is better than Lowrance, but because I took the time to learn to use it. 

I really got used to using it starting in 2015 when I started to use it as a GPS while chasing for a friends race team.   When I raced the 1000 with them in 2017 we got a small sponsor ship from LeadNav, hardware kits (Ipad not included) and some free training and support.  We used it on the pre-run (3 separate pre-runs with 3 separate Ipads) and I took everyone's notes and combined them into the race trucks Ipad the night before the race, then emailed that as a backup to the other 3 Ipads.  All while we were spread across the peninsula.  It was pretty great.   We used it as our main navigation source for the entire race.

If you are going to use it in a race application or to plan some back country navigation, you WILL NEED the $250 a year subscription.  And it is well worth it in my opinion.

If you are just using it for play car GPS then you do not need any of the subscriptions.  There are plenty of downloadable maps to use for offline navigation.

I do recommend you use the additional Dual GPS puck.   Mount it in a safe place because it IS NOT waterproof.

You will need a modern ipad to run the software,  the hi res satellite maps are very large files.  You need a fast processor and lots of storage.  Your 16gb Ipad air isn't going to cut it.

Run it in Airplane mode with bluetooth turned on.

Good luck whichever you choose.

Pictures, because threads without them suck and because I love remembering my time in Baja. :ez:

IMG_8066.JPG

IMG_8592.JPG

unnamed (1).jpg

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, RallyAlleigh said:

I’m on mobile now but, I will drop all the details regarding Elite Vs HDS, when you should use an antenna and when you could pass on you, mapping cards vs free downloads & mounting spots for each vehicle, etc!

Also, i will attach cut charts for all current GPS’s and If you wanna drop it in a dash as a replacement, this will be a huge help!

If anyone has any questions, post them up and I’ll answer all of them or send me a private message if you have any other questions!

Alright So!

Ill start of by saying,  I have never used Leadnav so I cant speak on the pros and cons of going with them over Lowrance. I can only tell you why we love Lowrance and I highly recommend their GPS's.

Currently we offer the Elite line and the HDS line of Lowrance GPS's which are all fully WATERPROOF and great in all conditions!

The Elite series is the more affordable of the 2 series but not as many features, one of them being, not having as many hard keys (listed below) that makes for easier use while your moving or wearing gloves. It is also unable to have video input (see more information below)  if you wanted to use a backup/forward facing camera. Elite only take one sd card at a time, compared to the 2 card slot HDS. The HDS live versions have a awesome flush flat screen that is Brightest and Clearest HD displays which can be view with polarized lenses on. 

Elite Hard Keys include :

1. Pages: Access to all features of the GPS
  2. Zoom in & out
  3. Waypoint Drop
  4. Power which also controls screen brightness, overlay, etc.

HDS Hardkeys Include:

1. Pages :Access to all features of the GPS
  2. WayPoint Drop
  3. Exit
  4. Enter
  5. Cursor Movement Key
  6. Zoom  In / Out
  7. Power
  8. Side Bar / Settings

All of our current Lowrance GPS units have an internal antenna built in. If the GPS is mounted with a clear view of the sky, such as a UTV installation using on of our brackets, you most likely wont need an external antenna. If the GPS is buried in the dash, you will most likely need the Point One Baja Antenna. The "Baja" version of a specific GPS model means it includes that antenna, otherwise it is sold separately. The Elite 5 TI does not have external antenna capability, so make sure it will be mounted on top of a dash or using one of our handy GPS Brackets. The HDS Live has the fastest internal antenna out of all the units and is just as fast and refreshes as fast as the external antenna!

If you would like to us the GPS with a backup camera, you can do so with SOME ( Gen 2 Touch, Gen 3, Carbon's and Live units ) of the HDS versions but you will need the Lowrance Video Adapter Cable.

My personal recommendation for a mapping card is our PCI Western US Lowrance Map.    It covers 5 western states ( California, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and a small portion of Southwest Colorado and Idaho ) and gives you trails, fire roads, streams, all kinds of great stuff. I do also make sure to set exceptions so i have included a Pros & Cons picture that covers all of our mapping cards.

Glamis waypoints can be downloaded for free off our website or added to any mapping card at the time of purchase. Its also very easy to add additional way points as long as you have Lat/ Long coordinates or transfer from a friends unit!

There is a satellite card for Glamis, if you want additional information on that, let me know.

GPS_Mapping_Graphic_2.jpg.cb319521fa2fff32bffe97696ac56812.jpg

Edited by RallyAlleigh

I hope i covered most of everything, if not, let me know any additional questions and ill get back ASAP!

6 minutes ago, RallyAlleigh said:

I hope i covered most of everything, if not, let me know any additional questions and ill get back ASAP!

Good info dude!  I didn't know I could add a camera to my HDS.  I'll hit you up soon for that cable.  I think I heard somewhere that all on my HDS units can be tethered to one another?  Might need to do that too.  

11 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

Good info dude!  I didn't know I could add a camera to my HDS.  I'll hit you up soon for that cable.  I think I heard somewhere that all on my HDS units can be tethered to one another?  Might need to do that too.  

JUST TO CLARIFY

Video adapter cable works on Gen 2 Touch, Gen 3, Carbon's and Live units! :)

I havnt played with the tethering a lot but I will look into it!

Just now, RallyAlleigh said:

JUST TO CLARIFY

Video adapter cable works on Gen 2 Touch, Gen 3, Carbon's and Live units! :)

I havnt played with the tethering a lot but I will look into it!

I misunderstood the "...you can do this with any of the HDS versions..."  No video for me then.  Can't believe you went ALL CAPS on me.  We are bros.

1 minute ago, L.R.S. said:

I misunderstood the "...you can do this with any of the HDS versions..."  No video for me then.  Can't believe you went ALL CAPS on me.  We are bros.

Fixed. Thanks BRO 👍

i have lead nav and use the duel puck it works great  and very user friendly just make sure you wire a good charger in the car.   i use it for the music and nav 

Thanks for the info all!  Tough decision...I'll have to think about it.  They both have their pros and cons.  I appreciate all of the input!

~jw :jeff:

11 hours ago, RallyAlleigh said:

I'm wanting to use a Lowrance with backup camera for my car.  We ride woods trails, so I'll need to use the camera fairly often.  How many button pushes does it take to bring the camera onto the screen?  I really don't want backing up to become an ordeal :(

I would just run a separate backup camera monitor, but I'm not sure any of them would work well in daylight viewing.  

On 6/27/2019 at 4:14 AM, Dave In Florida said:

I'm wanting to use a Lowrance with backup camera for my car.  We ride woods trails, so I'll need to use the camera fairly often.  How many button pushes does it take to bring the camera onto the screen?  I really don't want backing up to become an ordeal :(

I would just run a separate backup camera monitor, but I'm not sure any of them would work well in daylight viewing.  

I'm pretty sure you can spit screen on the Lowrance?

~jw

On 6/26/2019 at 4:25 PM, RallyAlleigh said:

I'm going to go with the Lowrance.  I'll be calling you to order one in the next month or so.  Tks for all the info!

~jw

5 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

I'm pretty sure you can spit screen on the Lowrance?

~jw

You can, but I think you have to go into a couple of menus to do it.  That would suck to do every minute or two.  And leaving it up at all times isn't ideal because then my $1000+ GPS is displayed on half the screen, which makes it the same size as my phone LOL.  

On 6/27/2019 at 4:14 AM, Dave In Florida said:

VERY easy to switch to that screen, literally one push of a hard key and then selecting the camera option!

The split screen is awesome as well and is one of my favorite features!

Posted (edited)

Simple video showing how easy the split screen and camera function are to use... HOPEFULLY the video uploaded the correct way!

PERSONALLY... I love split screen when duning because it definitely helps me stay aware of my surroundings because i'm more of a driver while looking in my rear view mirror kinda person lol

Edited by RallyAlleigh

Thank you SO MUCH for the video!  Being in the black hole of off-road, it's hard to put my hands on stuff or see it in action. 

That video sealed the deal for me.  I'll buy my unit (giggity) from you guys since you were so awesome to help!  

Posted (edited)

GPS and Intercom/Radio: Just found my go to for real answers!!!!

Thanks for the solid professional and experienced input RallyAlleigh!

Edited by RosenberryC

I ordered a Lowrance 7TI with the map card and external antenna from PCI today.  Gonna be  a tight fit and require some dash mods to make it fit but I wanted the external antenna...and the bigger screen will be nice!

~jw

16 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

I ordered a Lowrance 7TI with the map card and external antenna from PCI today.  Gonna be  a tight fit and require some dash mods to make it fit but I wanted the external antenna...and the bigger screen will be nice!

~jw

Let me know how you like it I want to upgrade my HD5 eventually.

1 hour ago, cali kid said:

I think the HDS is the higher end one?  The 7ti is the lowest level with the external antenna port.  It's all I really need though.

~jw

4 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

I think the HDS is the higher end one?  The 7ti is the lowest level with the external antenna port.  It's all I really need though.

~jw

1 hour ago, cali kid said:

I actually started out with the HDS 5 and i LOVED that unit, if you go to resell it, it will be a hot ticket item! So easy to use and was very reliable!

17 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

~jw

So happy I was able to assist you in making a decision! Please let me know if you need any help getting it set up or using it!

I want to include these links again just in case! I know they don't apply to what you may use it for specifically but it is useful to show you how to navigate around the GPS!

How to Load Racecourse on an HDS LIVE

How to Change Waypoint Text Size on HDS Live

14 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

~jw

I meant the 7” screen. I will stick with the HDS but go with the 7. The older I get the worse my vision gets! Lol.

8 hours ago, cali kid said:

I meant the 7” screen. I will stick with the HDS but go with the 7. The older I get the worse my vision gets! Lol.

You and me both buddy!  LOL