r3meyer

Quad View Backup Camera system for RV

As with most of my other posts right now my focus is updating my 1998 Monaco Diesel pusher.  I just finished a 2700 mile trip so I have plenty of things that need attention.

One of them is the backup/rear facing camera.  At night its pretty much useless and it looks like a snow storm while going down the road.  The field of view is so poor that you can even make out if anyone is next to you.  

I started looking on line and came across these Quad View systems.  Anyone installed one?  This looks like exactly what I would want and can add in the 2 side view cameras for my blind spots and an extra camera to mount on the back of my box trailer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Quad-Split-Screen-CCTV-Monitor-Side-Rear-View-Backup-Camera-For-Truck-Caravan/254221731116?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57921%26meid%3D6b3dcec4ec0f44dea9ea6823386bdb8f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D262520594156%26itm%3D254221731116&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

That is a neat idea, but I hate to say it, the quality couldn't be all that great, not for that price.  Have you tried checking the connection between the camera and screen? A loose coax cable will cause issues. Would not fix the field of view though...... 

I put LED lights in my rear grill for backing up....wired them into my docking lamps....they helped my camera out a LOT>

Im watching this one, i have the same issue with my 04 itasca A  back up lights camera and mirrors are absolutely worthless at night

I got the twin 10w led pods and put them in the grill on my 04 Meridian...I can back my flatbed down the street now....

There are a few threads on up grading back up cameras on irv2.com and rvforum.net. The biggest challenge is the rear camera. Most new cameras and monitors are not compatable with the old wire/cable that is in an older rig. 

I did read about one company that does back up cameras that makes adapters to work around it but I don't have a book mark. 

look into aftermarket stereos and cameras.  theres also recording setups out there.  alot of commercial trucks are installing 4 camera dvr systems, mainly to recird the eff*tards that do stupid shit, but that can give you ideas for things to use in your setup.

My 1998 setup is a tube TV that is black and white.  Its going in the trash.  I am not really concerned with converting the rear camera location.  I can get access to it from the back cabinets and electrical is kinda my thing.  

The 7" version will mount almost perfectly where my old monitor is.  I like that the one I posted has the trigger wires for left and right turn signals.  Gives you a clear view down the side of your rig.  Even though I have my mirror adjusted there is still a blind spot.

I guess I will be the test dummy.

41 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

My 1998 setup is a tube TV that is black and white.  Its going in the trash.  I am not really concerned with converting the rear camera location.  I can get access to it from the back cabinets and electrical is kinda my thing.  

The 7" version will mount almost perfectly where my old monitor is.  I like that the one I posted has the trigger wires for left and right turn signals.  Gives you a clear view down the side of your rig.  Even though I have my mirror adjusted there is still a blind spot.

I guess I will be the test dummy.

Cool looking to an upgrade thread. :thumbup:

If it has a a rear cap running the wire is as easy as dropping it down to the frame and then forward.

Mine is an 05 its kinda color but not very but what I do like about it is I can display trip info and engine/trans info over the picture. 

Tracking says the system will be here today.  Once I get it I am going to power it up and stick the cameras in water.  If they survive that test I will mount them up.

System showed up.  I took it out of the box and hooked it to a CPU power supply in my office.  Submerged the 4 cameras in water for about 2 hours.  Came back and all of them are still sealed.  For the $100 I spent its ood enough for me!

Video quality is just fine for what I need.  

I will post up some pictures once I start the install.

I'd like to see how you hook it up. Does not need a trigger for back up. Mine is always on. I assume the old coax from the old camera wont work?

16 hours ago, 2011BFD said:

I'd like to see how you hook it up. Does not need a trigger for back up. Mine is always on. I assume the old coax from the old camera wont work?

Each camera has a daisy chain power connection.  The monitor lets you select any combo of viewing them.  If you select just the rear view and then go change lanes it will switch over to that side.  As soon as your indicator turns off it goes back to the rear view (or your preset of viewing choice)

I bought the same system and hooked it up I ended up putting the cameras for the side down low so it was easy to run the wires and not have to drill a new hole.  I put them by the sidelights, the backup camera I did not put all the way up top again because I would have had to drill new holes in the coach and did not want to. Plus I only use it for backup to trailer, with new side cameras, I can back up using all 3, but almost always have a trailer. I'm going to use the 4th one and put it on my enclosed trailer for when I tow. The hardest part was running all the new wires especially through the fire wall of the motor home. I did get the 7" and I did not like it, I re ordered a new 1 which is a 9" screen and I'm just going to swap the screen out since I've been installed everything else.I will post pictures after I get the screen mounted in the hole from the old TV, it was so big. I am having a custom oak surround made to fit the hole and the new screen.  I am gonna try to see how I like the camera not mounted all the way at the top in the back if I want I will use my 4th camera in mount it up higher and have to backup cameras to see everything but this point I think I will be happy with it mounted 1/2 way up the back.  

20190713_185716.jpg

20190713_161435.jpg

I got the nine inch screen big difference got it installed,  much better than the 7 and $50 more

20190716_165601.jpg

20190716_165617.jpg

3 hours ago, 2011BFD said:

I got the nine inch screen big difference got it installed,  much better than the 7 and $50 more

20190716_165601.jpg

20190716_165617.jpg

Looks great!  Mine is still sitting in the box.  With it being 115 out and the fact that I had to run ALL NEW FUEL LINES, my motivation has been very little.  Do you have any over view pictures of where you mounted your side cameras?  I am in the market for an enclosed and will more then likely mount the 4th on the back so I have full visibility.  Did you get the trigger wires setup?