CHRIS J

did i miss something? what happened to this site?

9 hours ago, davyjones said:

I also have no social media computer life other than this site . I personally have no use for social media . I think the site is great . I have nothing to compare it to 

X2

28 minutes ago, Rucker said:

X2

X-3... But I sure miss the shout box at the top of the page!, that you can follow along with all the BS of the Day...!

11 hours ago, fullthrottleguy said:

You are right, most forums are dead - It seems only the Motorsports forums survive and its mainly because of "tech articles and discussions"  you can get You tube videos on non Sand related tech, other than high performance cars and boats - yeah pretty much they are gone....

I don't think the new look hurt anything, its never been great on mobile IMO

This was always a tight community- even before I joined I snooped for years, back then it was like this was a personal forum for some Glamis crew...

Its more spare, but it is surviving even if its starting to get too politically correct

while I miss the builds a lot - but I guess no one builds anymore - they either write a check or buy used...

You aren't going to get tech or real discussion on Face  less book, and Instagram is neat for small pic I can only see on my phone so I still enjoy coming here and discussing and viewing and yeah I have friends on here and its good to see what they are doing and stay up on the trends, but yeah a lot of "personalities" have moved on

and lets face it there are so many SxS sites, if thats your thing you are probably spending lots of time there

What do you mean less people in the dunes? less GD people? sure not less people - its crazy out there...

The Glamis scene has changed at least 3x since I started going in the late 80's ... 2000 was the peak of nuts .. not just that the spring break crowd found glamis but the partying was nuts... it calmed down then in 2005 the LS buggy craze was ON... then by 2009 that slowed down due to economy, then the SxS revolution, and I have seen similar changes to the site, and the censorship and PC attitude that is just a symptom of our failing society... at least IMO

I still enjoy it  - the connection to Mother G is here I cannot go a day without stopping by...

You can log in to Instagram with your computer and view big pics.

still haven't embraced Instagram!  This sight and riverdaves are my go to's.  This sight has changed over the years, but still the best place to come to see all things glamis.  Race desert is pretty cool as well, but this is the "OG" or me!

there was a server upgrade a few years ago and sadly a lot of data was lost, mainly pictures.  the last software update which had to be done since the old software was no longer supported and was vulnerable changed the look of everything and i agree i didn't like the change either. i have gotten used to it and how it operates.  it is much friendlier for mobile users than the last software was.  there were a couple hiccups in the transition to the new software and things like users post counts didn't transition, but the posts are still there. example before i had approx 30k posts now about half it shows under my name.

out of the dozen or so forums i used to post on regularly, here and river daves are the only 2 i spend any time on anymore.  forums for the most part have pretty much died, specially the ones that sold out to a corporate entity (alot of the car forums did this) due to social media. 

while this site isnt the same as it was 10 years ago, neither are the people. alot of people that posted years ago have changed direction in ther lives and no longer post. 2008 was rough for alot of people and they left the sand and while some have come back, many did not as they found other things to do in their lives.

I have no issues with the new site.  I have been on GD.com since the beginning.  While I never did the 13.5 or the Compound, I have met some great people on this site even raced in the first buggy EPO.

I think the biggest change is the lack of new topics, 6-7 years ago it would seem every hour there were a couple of new topics, now it seems we can go a day without a new topic.  Along with that the busiest forums were the buggy forums, then it moved to Gen Chat and so forth. 

I still visit everyday I am at my desk, gives me 10-15 minutes away from emails, spreadsheets and lame ass Powerpoints...……….

The members here still are a wealth of knowledge  about Glamis and other things, and this should be the go to for anyone in the sport...………….fyi, all the Glamis FB pages are lame, so many lame peeps...……….

4 hours ago, lincster said:

Buttercup is  nice, but it is the same ole thing over and over and over.

If you want real dune runs, Glamis is to the place to go.

We did Buttercup only for years and got tired of it.

Glamis never gets old.

I appreciate your advice, and I'll see what my impression of Buttercup is.

3 hours ago, Air450 said:

You can log in to Instagram with your computer and view big pics.

Its so "needy" on my Mac I hate using it

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, FNG said:

There is a website called "Wayback Machine"

https://web.archive.org/

Enter http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision in the search box and you can see what the site used to look like at different years and months :)

Oh Gawd...........

Remember the "Pay" site...........................13.5 drama...........................the compound..................post whores...........................

I do miss alot of the old members that fell off the site. 

Especially the SummerGirl threads!!!!!

Way back when MAC was a very verbal on this thoughts!!!! :lmao: 

Edited by Wash 10 Crew

31 minutes ago, Wash 10 Crew said:

Oh Gawd...........

Remember the "Pay" site...........................13.5 drama...........................the compound..................post whores...........................

I have not seen the "bank drive thru" video or pictures of "Josh Daniel at the drags" in years.

13 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

I have not seen the "bank drive thru" video or pictures of "Josh Daniel at the drags" in years.

Or six fiddy hp. Those days were fun.

18 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

Or six fiddy hp. Those days were fun.

Even before them It was Bluesky  who was trolling the site.  I always thought he was a second account of another member, I didn't know who but that was the feeling I got.  

3 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

I appreciate your advice, and I'll see what my impression of Buttercup is.

Buttercup by far is the best place to learn to dune, there are some big dunes and small dunes and they flow well, only issue is there isn't a lot.  we camp there every Tday (over 25 years Now).  

53 minutes ago, MWB said:

Even before them It was Bluesky  who was trolling the site.  I always thought he was a second account of another member, I didn't know who but that was the feeling I got.  

The early contributors and even trolls were fun.  Pastor always had something good to say (I bet he still sticks his head at times), remember V8rail and the guys that were building those buggies.  You had Mr LV, Faster Daddy, Flashpoint and so on and they always had something good to say to stir the pot and keep it loose.  Of course we all blame all of this on Chummin ;)

Posted (edited)

I loved it every time Yoshi would try to post new pictures of his mc cars... and everyone just commented on his wife in the background, and ignored the stupid cars. I miss having an entire page of new threads to read, but I got another hour a day of my life back to pull weeds. so many nice cars got built before 2010 and now it's just too easy to buy a used one and then update,  bypass, 2" snouts, radius roof, big body etc, rather than starting a build from scratch . I ordered my chassis brand new at the sand sports show in 2005 and picked it up early 2006. I am one of the few guys I know that is still driving the same buggy. to this day still haven't painted it cause i never stop changing stuff 

Edited by 2turbofords
Thanks

1 hour ago, Cookie said:

The early contributors and even trolls were fun.  Pastor always had something good to say (I bet he still sticks his head at times), remember V8rail and the guys that were building those buggies.  You had Mr LV, Faster Daddy, Flashpoint and so on and they always had something good to say to stir the pot and keep it loose.  Of course we all blame all of this on Chummin ;)

Temporary insanity had some great insight also.

53 minutes ago, 2turbofords said:

I loved it every time Yoshi would try to post new pictures of his mc cars... and everyone just commented on his wife in the background, and ignored the stupid cars. I miss having an entire page of new threads to read, but I got another hour a day of my life back to pull weeds. so many nice cars got built before 2010 and now it's just too easy to buy a used one and then update,  bypass, 2" snouts, radius roof, big body etc, rather than starting a build from scratch . I ordered my chassis brand new at the sand sports show in 2005 and picked it up early 2006. I am one of the few guys I know that is still driving the same buggy. to this day still haven't painted it cause i never stop changing stuff 

Same here built my car in 05. Had $55k in parts with no paint or labor included. Hate to think about what I have spent total with all the changes. My wife does remind me. :nag: Took me several years to squirt some paint on it. 

i miss big had ........

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MWB said:

He was found.

7 hours ago, Cookie said:

Before he was Pastor he went by the acronym VOR some know what it ment.

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

4 hours ago, ahipara 55 said:

So many flashbacks! I miss those....

I've been here since 03, and even though I still get on a couple times a day to browse around, I'll admit I don't like the new format and the site really has died off a lot. Makes me sad because I used to spend hours and hours reading through and i learned a lot of what I know now on thos site. I still spend time here and there's still lots to read, but it's not the same.

5 hours ago, Wash 10 Crew said:

Especially the SummerGirl threads

Speak for yourself hahahaha 😂

15 hours ago, Bansh88 said:

If the 'new posts' could go back to how it was, I'd be fairly happy.

Glad I got here as early as I did.  Made some great friends and camping buddies.  Hard to go to Glamis without bumping into someone.

X2...I liked the old "New Posts" format much better!  That's the only thing that really bugs me about it now. I'm good with the rest of it.  I do like the night mode things.  

~jw

On 6/26/2019 at 5:44 PM, SANDPSYCHO said:
On 6/26/2019 at 2:45 PM, Cookie said:

He was found.

Before he was Pastor he went by the acronym VOR some know what it ment.

I remember all of this...I joined in March 2001 and was.. or still am..listed as member #319. There  was some good stuff  back then for sure.  I usually hit the forum about once a week now when it used to be at least a few times daily. Things and life change.. I no longer have the quads and hauler, but still have my Hemi Jeep and now an XJ Cherokee for the trails. I miss seeing the posts from some of the more "vocal" old timers.. 

I dont think the new format is bad. Even the old one had its flaws. But I do enjoy this sight over Instagram gram and Facebook. I dont have to deal with a feed I log on and it's all sand. No dealing with car was adds a new hat or my second cousins this child new art project from grade school. Just dune stuff. Thank you all for keeping it going.

On 6/26/2019 at 12:40 PM, Wash 10 Crew said:

Oh Gawd...........

Yeah... couldn't stand those guys.....................................
:lol: