Nic

Rubicon trail ?’s

I know a lot of you guys are jeepers as well. We are going to do the rubicon trail soon and I was wondering if anybody had any good tips?

we plan on staying one night at buck island lake and one night at rubicon springs. 

Following

I'll  let  you know next week, my neighbor is up there right now.....

You pack it ALL out, so stay away from spicy food for a few days before  you leave....

I have ran it 3 times. Main trail is not crazy hard just continued rough road. 

Things that was handy.  Lots of hose clamps and spare steel so if you have to repair something 

dont be a hero. Take your time if you need to use the winch use it.  

And the best advice for the rubicon. That I learned the hard way is.  Bring lots and lots of bug spray for the mosquitoes we had to deal with large swarms in rubicon springs. Keep the tent closed at all times.  

Posted (edited)

Check with forestry.  Last time we went up there, absolutely no open flame fires.  I did get a permit online iirc to use a small camp stove so we could cook.   Rangers patrol the trail in JK's so no beer while driving (not that anybody should ever mix the two).  Buck can get rowdy on a Friday or Saturday night, but fun to sit and watch the locals run the Sluice Box.

Edited by 1newbie
typo

8 hours ago, realbadlarry said:

I'll  let  you know next week, my neighbor is up there right now.....

You pack it ALL out, so stay away from spicy food for a few days before  you leave....

There are actually a reasonable number of toilets.  Smell isn't so great, but not terrible.

I brought a bucket, toilet seat for it, and a bunch of Wag Bags and Poo Powder.  Barely used them.

5 hours ago, J Alper said:

I have ran it 3 times. Main trail is not crazy hard just continued rough road. 

Things that was handy.  Lots of hose clamps and spare steel so if you have to repair something 

dont be a hero. Take your time if you need to use the winch use it.  

And the best advice for the rubicon. That I learned the hard way is.  Bring lots and lots of bug spray for the mosquitoes we had to deal with large swarms in rubicon springs. Keep the tent closed at all times.  

Yep, this.

1 hour ago, 1newbie said:

Check with forestry.  Last time we went up there, absolutely no open flame fires.  I did get a permit online iirc to use a small camp stove so we could cook.   Rangers patrol the trail in JK's so no beer while driving (not that anybody should ever mix the two).  Buck can get rowdy on a Friday or Saturday night, but fun to sit and watch the locals run the Sluice Box.

Should be fine this year.  We ran it during the week before the Jeep Jamboree, made for a nice and empty run.

I would plan to stay two nights at Rubicon Springs if you can.  Suuuuuper nice and relaxing there.  Don't miss the Soup Bowl on the left before you get to the Buck Island Dam.  Worth a stab (I got denied, but was fully loaded and didn't want to come back).

95% of the trail is like this:

Not hard, but continuously beating on you.

Bring a Jacket the elevation out of Rubicon springs is a climb we had snow at the peak for 1-2 miles out and can get cold if you do not have a top,

be patient on obstacles my FJ had a V8 so got inpatient on a large 3-foot log and double clutched it and broke a pinion and had to change it out on the trail (big thanks to Marlin Crawler for the parts) like I said before done be afraid to use the winch if you have one,

also if you are using a Ice chest, I had a large one the first year, and it looked like a milk shake by the end of the trail inside,   then went to 6 small Ice Chest to keep it more separated,

we also had the shower has a heat exchanger that heats up from the motor, was nice to take a warm shower,  go a little dusty with a open vehicle, don't be to cocky the first time, I thought I was a badazz with 38'' tires V8 and built Ford 9'' with Lockers,    and still broke a pinion and fj404x4 broke a steering rod,  lucky for us the first year was with the Rubithon  

8 hours ago, Rockwood said:

There are actually a reasonable number of toilets.  Smell isn't so great, but not terrible.

I brought a bucket, toilet seat for it, and a bunch of Wag Bags and Poo Powder.  Barely used them.

Yep, this.

Should be fine this year.  We ran it during the week before the Jeep Jamboree, made for a nice and empty run.

I would plan to stay two nights at Rubicon Springs if you can.  Suuuuuper nice and relaxing there.  Don't miss the Soup Bowl on the left before you get to the Buck Island Dam.  Worth a stab (I got denied, but was fully loaded and didn't want to come back).

95% of the trail is like this:

Not hard, but continuously beating on you.

That was the only time I had to use the winch even with lockers front and rear,  we left the springs in the morning and a section of Cadillac had water on it, and the front end slid over to the edge,

looking down 5 stories at the cemetery and a rolled vehicle, I jumped out and winched the front straight again,

super fun just a long drive up to Northern Nevada, but feel was more fun than Idaho, due to the drive being about the same,   

5 hours ago, J Alper said:

That was the only time I had to use the winch even with lockers front and rear,  we left the springs in the morning and a section of Cadillac had water on it, and the front end slid over to the edge,

looking down 5 stories at the cemetery and a rolled vehicle, I jumped out and winched the front straight again,

super fun just a long drive up to Northern Nevada, but feel was more fun than Idaho, due to the drive being about the same,   

Yeah, there was a lot of runoff in the wooded section that made it super slippery. Some stock-ish JK Rubicons ahead of us had a bit of trouble through there. 

We did it years ago in Rhino's 26" tires. Wow we got the $h!t BEAT out of us. Took us 8hrs to go from Loon Lake (Ice House Rd) to Buck Island. We turned around and went back the next day.

Bears! take stuff to hang your food up in the trees. No one told me this and I was the only one who did't have my gear up and bears came right in to camp to get it.

Was a passenger on a trip last Thursday-Saturday and stayed 2 nights at buck Island lake. It is for sure non stop rock crawling. I expected more fire roads or something but it was a blast. We parked at Ice house resort as we read it was more secure than parking at the trailhead. It was only 10 bucks a day.  We left at 10 from ice house resort and got to buck island lake around 5. Take a large can of bug spray. We broke the front locker on my brothers samurai coming back to buck island on big sluice. Rock sliders I felt are a must as well as good bumpers. We took fishing poles expecting to catch trout but didn’t catch anything but a buzz. Not even a bite. The porta potties were absolutely disgusting and most of them were completely full. I work construction so I am used to nasty outhouses but these were worse. I would highly recommend a winch and extra fuel depending on what you take. Almost everyone was really low on fuel and we only made it down to Rubicon springs and headed back. We had 5 vehicles with us. My brothers samurai an 2 early 2000 4runners a mid 90s landcruiser  and a newer Jeep JK all on 35s. Overall great trip. Make sure to get a fire permit online prior to the trip. We didn’t see one ranger or sheriff on the trail the entire time. There was a big group of guys they called the 31 crew that was running there rigs on 31” tires that was pretty funny. It got cold at night down to the high 30s  but the days were low 70s it was nice. 

2 hours ago, Lowvoltsd said:

Was a passenger on a trip last Thursday-Saturday and stayed 2 nights at buck Island lake. It is for sure non stop rock crawling. I expected more fire roads or something but it was a blast. We parked at Ice house resort as we read it was more secure than parking at the trailhead. It was only 10 bucks a day.  We left at 10 from ice house resort and got to buck island lake around 5. Take a large can of bug spray. We broke the front locker on my brothers samurai coming back to buck island on big sluice. Rock sliders I felt are a must as well as good bumpers. We took fishing poles expecting to catch trout but didn’t catch anything but a buzz. Not even a bite. The porta potties were absolutely disgusting and most of them were completely full. I work construction so I am used to nasty outhouses but these were worse. I would highly recommend a winch and extra fuel depending on what you take. Almost everyone was really low on fuel and we only made it down to Rubicon springs and headed back. We had 5 vehicles with us. My brothers samurai an 2 early 2000 4runners a mid 90s landcruiser  and a newer Jeep JK all on 35s. Overall great trip. Make sure to get a fire permit online prior to the trip. We didn’t see one ranger or sheriff on the trail the entire time. There was a big group of guys they called the 31 crew that was running there rigs on 31” tires that was pretty funny. It got cold at night down to the high 30s  but the days were low 70s it was nice. 

Got any pics?

was there still snow on or near the trail?

What's wrong with 31's.... My wife says size doesn't matter..............

No snow on the trail but their was very small patches here and there. Here’s some pics

9AAE863A-E98B-4D20-8763-6E3966979E24.jpeg

BF4B44E6-4A1D-4DEA-95C3-C05D103733EB.jpeg

2E5533F8-82FC-462C-A644-141608FB1B6E.jpeg

AB0254E1-C5EB-417D-A114-7B605B9169D6.jpeg

CC1478A3-3C27-4175-8001-149795E1FFC2.jpeg

Thanks for all the tips. Was a great trip. Only regret is we didn’t spend more time on the trail. We had a couple minor issues but nothing that couldn’t be resolved and everybody finished the trail. 

The scenery was epic. The trail was challenging and we will be back another time. 

601412CE-6663-4967-AC68-34FFB5A116C6.jpeg

AA7266D8-EFFC-41FE-AE9B-04CC3407C168.jpeg

DE684CB6-C9AD-43E7-BC9B-C32CD97A3EF4.jpeg