cwarkenton

Single Turbo LS1

Pretune startup! 🤘🤘🤘🤘

1 hour ago, cwarkenton said:

Back from ceramic coating. 

Appointment set up with Redline for 10/3. I guess they can't tune my existing Mefi 4a so need to upgrade to 4b. Anyway I'll post some dyno numbers. Super interested to see what we get! 🤘🤘🤘

imagejpeg_1(2).jpg

imagejpeg_0(5).jpg

Very clean set up and rear cage redesign........ Please post those hp and tq numbers when you get them........ I am a N/A and cubes guy now but my younger self a Turbo guy all the way never had the money when I was younger to play with anything other than the ebay turbo kits which actually do work with in reason and for the money not a bad option....not that this is a ebay turbo kit at all....

30 minutes ago, BLKturbo91 said:

Very clean set up and rear cage redesign........ Please post those hp and tq numbers when you get them........ I am a N/A and cubes guy now but my younger self a Turbo guy all the way never had the money when I was younger to play with anything other than the ebay turbo kits which actually do work with in reason and for the money not a bad option....not that this is a ebay turbo kit at all....

Thanks! Seriously Buck is a wizard. Everything he touches comes out near perfect or perfect. I wish I had patience like that. Here's some work he did to the front too. The original design was just a solid bent tube. 

I'll post dyno sheet and hopefully a video. Can't fricken wait. 

imagejpeg_0(5) (1)2.jpg

imagejpeg_1(2) (1)1.jpg

Hard to see: is the turbo braced to the engine?

Also: I had that same R2C filter just behind the seats (less dusty location) with turbo making half the power this thing should.  Ended up with dust in the piping.  

Edited by Rockwood

57 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Hard to see: is the turbo braced to the engine?

Also: I had that same R2C filter just behind the seats (less dusty location) with turbo making half the power this thing should.  Ended up with dust in the piping.  

I'm not 100% if it is or isn't. Picking it up next week. I'll check. 

I am pretty diligent about keeping my filters clean. Are you thinking it was sucking in dust during normal driving or you think it was stuff that got through over time? I've never seen anything irregular. I've also only used that filter for one season. It was a lot of trips, but still only the one season so far. 

15 minutes ago, cwarkenton said:

I'm not 100% if it is or isn't. Picking it up next week. I'll check. 

I am pretty diligent about keeping my filters clean. Are you thinking it was sucking in dust during normal driving or you think it was stuff that got through over time? I've never seen anything irregular. I've also only used that filter for one season. It was a lot of trips, but still only the one season so far. 

Roger.  If it's not braced, the merge collector or headers or both won't last at all.  

Also make sure the coolant/oil lines run something like this:

water_p7.jpg

Especially the oil return.  If it's not a continuous downhill run to the oil pan (above oil level in the pan), it'll back up into the turbo and ruin the party quick.  Looks like it loops back up to go into the pan, but could just be the way the picture was taken.  

Mine gave up after 2 seasons.  Cleaned it regularly, but you're never getting all the dust out.  Treat it as a disposable filter, not a K&N.

Edited by Rockwood

Search R2C filters. No bueno

Use a CBM filter.  Setup looks bitchin!  Can wait to hear the results.  A similar setup would look great on my Alper built LS3 😈

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Roger.  If it's not braced, the merge collector or headers or both won't last at all.  

water_p7.jpg

Especially the oil return.  If it's not a continuous downhill run to the oil pan (above oil level in the pan), it'll back up into the turbo and ruin the party quick.  Looks like it loops back up to go into the pan, but could just be the way the picture was taken.  

Mine gave up after 2 seasons.  Cleaned it regularly, but you're never getting all the dust out.  Treat it as a disposable filter, not a K&N.

Hell ya! Thanks for all that. I will check everything out when I pick it up next week. I do think I'll just switch the filter out too. Easy job for a little peace of mind. 

21 hours ago, cwarkenton said:

Thanks! Seriously Buck is a wizard. Everything he touches comes out near perfect or perfect. I wish I had patience like that. Here's some work he did to the front too. The original design was just a solid bent tube. 

I'll post dyno sheet and hopefully a video. Can't fricken wait. 

imagejpeg_0(5) (1)2.jpg

imagejpeg_1(2) (1)1.jpg

Front looks killer also......

Cool project....came out nice!

~jw

I wouldn't fret about 8psi and 91 oct. IF it was non-ethanol 91. A solid water/alcohol injection kit (I like AEM) would go a ways to getting it to run on pump. 

Also adds loads of cooling as well. Rings need turbo sized gaps and timing needs addressed, radically different than N/A. LSA thickness headgaskets aren't a bad idea either. 

I don't care if you have steel monotherm pistons SOMETHING will BLOW if you have detonation. 

Tuning tuning and more tuning. I'd consider switching to a Holley HP or similar EFI simply based on the fact that it will have better management options for a turbo engine IMHO.

I really dig my Holley setup with the Holley dash, the options that will keep a boosted  motor alive are endless.  

Edited by JGSturbo

On 9/12/2019 at 11:57 AM, Rockwood said:

water_p7.jpg

Just got the buggy home. Everything looks to about dead on from the diagram. Am I missing something though? The oil input and output are angled similar to the diagram but what is water in/out? Is that a water cooled turbo housing or something? 

4 minutes ago, cwarkenton said:

Just got the buggy home. Everything looks to about dead on from the diagram. Am I missing something though? The oil input and output are angled similar to the diagram but what is water in/out? Is that a water cooled turbo housing or something? 

Yeah.  If yours doesn't have it, not a huge deal, just have to worry more about idle time after use to cool down the center section.  With water cooling, it's important to maintain a continuous uphill run through and after the turbo to allow water to flow through via convection after the engine is turned off.

Edited by Rockwood

Any numbers yet?

Posted (edited)
On 9/11/2019 at 6:11 PM, cwarkenton said:

Pretune startup! 🤘🤘🤘🤘

I don't know if it's just the outerwear but you may want to upgrade that filter  Its already sucking in and there's no boost. Seen a few filters get munched up. If it's a gauze type filter I guarantee you'll suck sand when undersized

Edited by Legit Duner

6 hours ago, Will G said:

Any numbers yet?

Going to redline tomorrow! 🤘 I'm going to do my best to get video and I'll post dyno results for sure! 

How did it do on the dyno, looking to do kinda the same deal

On 10/2/2019 at 7:06 PM, cwarkenton said:

Going to redline tomorrow! 🤘 I'm going to do my best to get video and I'll post dyno results for sure! 

Nice......

8 hours ago, rpmsrup said:

How did it do on the dyno, looking to do kinda the same deal

Still waiting for dyno and tune. They were supposed to wrap it up earlier this week but said they were having a super tough time on another motor. Then everyone had to bail to A BITD race. 

Edited by cwarkenton

Just saw this on redlines instagram. But they did not post numbers on the screen..... 

x2 would like to see #'s

and what did this project run you $$$$

Just got the buggy back home from Redline.